jcd11235

First Functional Molecular Transistor Comes Alive

This sounds interesting!
Nearly 62 years after researchers at Bell Labs demonstrated the first functional transistor, scientists say they have made another major breakthrough.

Researchers showed the first functional transistor made from a single molecule. The transistor, which has a benzene molecule attached to gold contacts, could behave just like a silicon transistor.

The molecule’s different energy states can be manipulated by varying the voltage applied to it through the contacts. And by manipulating the energy states, researchers were able to control the current passing through it.

Full Article
Math tutoring available. Only $6! per hour! First lesson: Factorials!

Transistors are old old news. I'm more interested in the development of memristors. The promise they hold is insane. Imagine your computer turning on and starting up as fast your tv turns on, and the screen would be on whatever you were last doing. Transistors may be a thing of the past!

Transistors are old old news. I'm more interested in the development of memristors. The promise they hold is insane. Imagine your computer turning on and starting up as fast your tv turns on, and the screen would be on whatever you were last doing. Transistors may be a thing of the past!

Alot of the time I don't want my computer screen to show what I was doing last.
"I encourage all awesome dangerous behavior." - Jeffro Fincher

Imagine your computer turning on and starting up as fast your tv turns on, and the screen would be on whatever you were last doing. Transistors may be a thing of the past!

That's exactly the functionality sleep already offers. :)
Math tutoring available. Only $6! per hour! First lesson: Factorials!

The first ever memristor was only ever made by Hewlett Packard a couple years ago at best. Forget what they doped silicon with to make it, but it was some new metal oxide.

They claim it will be able to make computers turn on like a light.

Interesting thing about the first transistor...the patent rights went to bell labs, so the main guy who theorized it(shockley, although the other two were the ones that discovered it in the lab) didn't get any money outside of like 100 bucks. He later went on to found silicon valley with a transistor company...but he was not a people person and his co-workers turned on him. One of them left and formed IBM, became billionaire. He on the other hand never struck it rich, and ended up teaching at Stanford. Sucks to be him huh. Had the invention of the century, founded silicon valley, genius in his field, and yet he died friendless, family hated him, and left without ever becoming famous.