shah269

Need a good free anti virus

Yep, I have a subscription (plus a lot more vested interest) to VBTN ;) The monthly bulletins are really great from the tech side and worth every penny if you have interest in the malware tech side at all.

I've written a few papers for us that track a few hundred submissions and the rates of detection to see who has initial coverage and who is late to the game. I'm under NDA not to post the papers but basically it comes down to dollars, the more money the company is putting into research usually the faster they are for detection and proactiveness. The top 4 are all with in about 2%-5% for their responce rates with live samples that are in the wild. There is one vendor that has really high detection rates for about 3-4 families of malware (they usually beat the major vendors to first detection) but when bumped up against a full Live Virus dataset they were only getting about 18-25% detection rates and the major players were all 92-95%.

Also the trick is to use their corporate editions and not their home versions if you want less overhead on the systems. ;)

Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

Norton sucks. Avast and AVG are not so great, although one of them is better, and I can't remember which one.

AVG is better in detection until you try to get support from them. Then you're screwed. Avast is faster, but their detection is not as good on latest malware.

You can read about some of the more popular av programs here:
http://www.av-comparatives.org/

I also suggest av-test.org.

Avira is the top-of-the-line free antivirus. The only problem is it tends to false positives.

And this makes is bad antivirus for non-experts. Having svchost.exe removed as false positive typically means full system reinstall.
* Don't pray for me if you wanna help - just send me a check. *

The methods used by AV-C are questioned by some in the industry also. They have files in their database that no one ever detects and the mark off as missing it since its not "malware" in anyone's eyes except their own.

Never seen it with my experience with them in two anti-virus companies I have been working for since 2000 (mostly as developer, occasionally as virus researcher). They indeed have some samples which probably only one out of 100,000 will be able to run (like a ZOO archive), but it is indeed malware. And while not every their sample would work on Windows 7, we still have customers using Windows 98(!), so the threat is indeed there.

You were born with the best Anti-Virus ever... your brain :)
Seriously tho, just watch what you click on and you should be virus free B|

You need to do much more than just that. You need to check and install updates to the software you're running (system and browser are must), and track vulnerabilities in other programs (like recent one in Adobe Reader which wasn't fixed yet). JPEG vulnerabilities could infect your system just when you open a e-mail (not attachments), as the HTML renderer used in Outlook is the same as used in IE. Slapper was infecting Linux servers running vulnerable Apache/mod_ssl without any user action. And so on.

Anti-Virus are just a marketing scam. Anyone can spread an old registered virus by just changing a few lines of code so that it is no longer "recognized". So there you have it, an old know virus spreading just like it never got caught ^^

Sorry, but you have no idea how modern AV works.

Need a good free anti virus!

Oh - nooooo - the list of what you need starts SOOOO much farther back in the line of necessities . . . :P
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun