shah269

Need a good free anti virus

if i ever get my hand on the hacker who creates shit like this I will drag his sorry ass onto a sky van and at 13k ft throw his sorry ass out and video the engire thing

Wooo free skyvan jump with video!!

Thanks man!

But seriously, sorry about all this crap, if you have an extra computer with a cd burner and internet, you can download a live distro of Linux and do all of your data recovery, then wipe the computer, install AVG free, THEN connect the hard drive with your backups, scan the entire thing, then copy your stuff back over.
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

http://www.avast.com/eng/download-avast-home.html

Didn't read the rest of the thread, but I've got 40+ people running Avast now & everyonoe's happy. I've surfed through all kinds of shit & Avast hasn't let me down. Kaspersky, NOD32, Norton & McAfee on the other hand...

'nuff said.

thank you i think I will use that from now on. i'm not too happy with norton utilities nor anti virus
just not what it use to be.
fyi running the anti virus right now
this new version of it is a bitch!
You will have to download the file on a clean comptuer, if the comptuer is infected it will nto accept the down load, burn it on to a CD with an fake name such as go.exe
then run it from the cd
then go in and change the run name to sa go.exe and then the program works.
worst 4 hours of my freaking year. thank god the year is over in a few days
Life through good thoughts, good words, and good deeds is necessary to ensure happiness and to keep chaos at bay.

The only thing that falls from the sky is birdshit and fools!

Didn't read the rest of the thread, but I've got 40+ people running Avast now & everyonoe's happy. I've surfed through all kinds of shit & Avast hasn't let me down. Kaspersky, NOD32, Norton & McAfee on the other hand...

'nuff said.

thank you i think I will use that from now on. i'm not too happy with norton utilities nor anti virus
just not what it use to be.
fyi running the anti virus right now
this new version of it is a bitch!
You will have to download the file on a clean comptuer, if the comptuer is infected it will nto accept the down load, burn it on to a CD with an fake name such as go.exe
then run it from the cd
then go in and change the run name to sa go.exe and then the program works.
worst 4 hours of my freaking year. thank god the year is over in a few days

If its that fucked up, you're going to want to re-install anyways... it sounds like the registry has been jacked with.

You COULD try a system restore, but thats iffy at best.

hackers need to be skinned alive and forced to swim in the dead sea till they die of pain. useless good for nothing twits!

If it werent for hackers, technology probably wouldnt have gotten so far already, and security wouldnt be used, so one person, who figures the system out, could take down anything and everything (s)he wanted.
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

in this day and age, a world with out hackers....no a world where hackers are hunted down and skinned alive...would be a good thing!

I'm running the anit virus as we speak, i had to change a few things for it to work. it appears to be a program designed to seperate the old and computer illeterate from their funds. not right in my book.
for fun i think i will utilize a simple 22 in my hunt.
Life through good thoughts, good words, and good deeds is necessary to ensure happiness and to keep chaos at bay.

The only thing that falls from the sky is birdshit and fools!

Some other person in our household (who will remain nameless) got their computer wacked by accepting a virus update invitation.

I've been working on it for the last three days trying to clean it up.

Free AVG is one option. http://free.avg.com/us-en/download-avg-anti-virus-free-edition

This is my first attempt using the new microsoft free virus solution. Might be worth a try. Anyway, the price is right.

http://www.microsoft.com/security_essentials/

Let me know when you manifest that skyvan load. I want on. I'll bring my camera too.
Good luck.

I will look up my notes on Wednesday, no access to the networks right now.

DeVry was also hit and knocked the servers out last week for quite a few hours.

The persons who did that were smart enough to figure it out but were also stupid, the feds are going to have a chat with them.

There were three program names but basically all the same virus.

You know that the persons who actually deployed the virus are not the ones that wrote it.

SSDD.

I thought you were an engineer, act like it.:|

FUCK YOU ASSHOLE!

I tried what this web page
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/virus-removal/remove-malware-defender-2009
but i can't run the exe file from cd, nor memory stick nor desk top in either normal mode nor safe mode.

but i think these guys have the ticket
http://forums.majorgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=164558
need to change both the exe name and he run name.

hackers need to be skinned alive and forced to swim in the dead sea till they die of pain. useless good for nothing twits!

You have some sort of problem, people try and help you, this is how you act?

Hmmm.

I will remind you of this if we meet.

I may be quite a few things but an ASSHOLE is not one of them.

Look in the mirror.

Yes that is a known problem.

It killed several OS's in the last few weeks.

Retrieve your DATA NOW!

Then be ready to wipe the HD and start over.

Heck for that matter buy a new HD for $100 (terabyte) and install a new OS, then after all security is setup, suck the DATA back off the flashdrive or original HD as a slave.

Shit brother that's great advice! No really on a scale of 1-10 that would be about a -5.
Killing hackers....it's good for the species!

Any one have a better idea?

Hey tool. That WAS good advice. :D

As for the rest of your replies to this thread, thanks for the laugh.
My grammar sometimes resembles that of magnetic refrigerator poetry... Ghetto

By the way, you can always run the drive as a slave on a known good computer with a fully updated OS and proper antivirus and malwareytes.

Just put it in a USB drive bay, attach it to the good computer and scan it. That's a good place to start.

There are other ways to deal with it but I'd need to sit in front of the computer. Good luck.
My grammar sometimes resembles that of magnetic refrigerator poetry... Ghetto

Yes that is a known problem.

It killed several OS's in the last few weeks.

Retrieve your DATA NOW!

Then be ready to wipe the HD and start over.

Heck for that matter buy a new HD for $100 (terabyte) and install a new OS, then after all security is setup, suck the DATA back off the flashdrive or original HD as a slave.

Shit brother that's great advice! No really on a scale of 1-10 that would be about a -5.
Killing hackers....it's good for the species!

Any one have a better idea?

I hate to tell you this but it happened to my three month old computer just recently. I'm afraid you have no choice but to backup and start over. Your registry is corrupted, there isn't much you can do.

"I love cooking with wine. Sometimes I even put it in the food."

'm afraid you have no choice but to backup and start over. Your registry is corrupted, there isn't much you can do.

Not even near close. This is a really easy solution with the right tools and no OS reinstall is needed.

As for the rest of the comments in this thread, thanks for the laughs tonight.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

Have recently seen a 'virus' popup that came from a Facebook page that at first glance looked like Norton page saying click here to stop a virus attack. Saw it on my computer and a few days later had a neighbor call me 'cause they had the same thing and wanted to know what to do. Without looking closely, it looked like a VERY REAL warning.

Best bet ... buy a real program from a real company. No one is perfect but your name brand vendors are the best way to go. My son used a free program and every time he would send me an e-mail with an attachment Norton would go nuts with all the viruses he would be sending that his 'FREE' service completely missed.

Have used Norton for 10 years and love it. That said, I ONLY uses Norton Internet Security. Some of the 'other' bonus programs hammer your system like an anvil. Internet security is a Firewall and Antivirus pair.

Quincy...

'nuff said.

What kind of garbage have you been running into with Kaspersky? Just wondering what to keep an eye out for since I use it.
So I try and I scream and I beg and I sigh
Just to prove I'm alive, and it's alright
'Cause tonight there's a way I'll make light of my treacherous life
Make light!

Run your virus scanner first... then try a malware prog like malwarebytes or similar.

Can't find any news of norton's webpage being hacked.

just trying to rum malwarebytes in safe mode...not working...if i ever get my hand on the hacker who creates shit like this I will drag his sorry ass onto a sky van and at 13k ft throw his sorry ass out and video the engire thing right down to the splat.
Hackers need to be picked up and killed!

The "hacker" is probably just a fat chick working on your karma.

>:(:ph34r::ph34r::ph34r::ph34r::ph34r:>:(

Internet security is a Firewall and Antivirus pair intelligent browsing and computing habits.

Antivirus software doesn't defend against social engineering attacks, for which users do all the work to attack their own system or give out their personal data.
Math tutoring available. Only $6! per hour! First lesson: Factorials!

Got a worm from a business network that started using my e-mail account to send spam. I only noticed by accident that Outlook wasn't performing the way it should. After multiple scan with Kaspersky and Norton, I removed both, loaded Avast and it immediately caught it.
A VERY MERRY UNBIRTHDAY TO YOU!!!
D.S # 125

Some other person in our household (who will remain nameless) got their computer wacked by accepting a virus update invitation.

I've been working on it for the last three days trying to clean it up.

Free AVG is one option. http://free.avg.com/us-en/download-avg-anti-virus-free-edition

This is my first attempt using the new microsoft free virus solution. Might be worth a try. Anyway, the price is right.

http://www.microsoft.com/security_essentials/

Let me know when you manifest that skyvan load. I want on. I'll bring my camera too.
Good luck.

I've used AVG for a few years with good results. I don't venture much into the nether-regions of the www (except dzdotcom!) so I don't really know how it holds up to a full-on assault.

I would recommend MSE (Microsoft Security Essentials). I was an AVG user and installed AVG on my customer's computers (on their behalf, of course).

With the release of AVG 8.5, the product became less reliable. At that time, Microsoft had MSE in beta. I installed MSE on a test computer and discovered that AVG 8.5 was missing a LOT of the malware and flat-out viruses (trojans).

Since then, I've removed AVG and installed MSE. It's solid and the detection rate is excellent. And of course, free updates !
Y yo, pa' vivir con miedo, prefiero morir sonriendo, con el recuerdo vivo".
- Ruben Blades, "Adan Garcia"

Guys i went to update my norton subscription and the fucking thing gave me some fucking virus/trogen/gaydonkey!
it's asking me to dish out money for some anti virus that doesn't exist
help!

Download a boot CD with an anti-virus. I would recommend either BitDefender or Kaspersky. Both are available for free and have a pretty good score in independent tests. Burn it, boot from the CD, and run a scan on your hard drive.

Just in case, be ready to repair/reinstall your Windows, sometime it happens after repair that Windows doesn't boot anymore.
* Don't pray for me if you wanna help - just send me a check. *

Norton sucks. Avast and AVG are not so great, although one of them is better, and I can't remember which one.

You can read about some of the more popular av programs here:

http://www.av-comparatives.org/

Avira is the top-of-the-line free antivirus. The only problem is it tends to false positives. Still, it's a small price to pay for the best free antivirus available. OTOH, a paid solution isn't all that costly when you consider the cost of losing your data to an infection.

alt.privacy.spyware and alt.comp.virus (which can be accessed through Google groups if you don't know how to use a newsreader) is frequented by antivirus and antimalware industry experts. (Just don't post a HijackThis output file in a newsgroup.) One of the researchers from Malwarebytes posts there, and he can help you if the program isn't running properly for you. It cleans up just about anything, but because you're infected, you probably need to rename the executable to make it run.(Spybot and AdAware are virtually useless now--Malwarebytes and SuperAntiSpyware are the antimalware programs of choice.)

I agree that it is possible to clean your machine, but best practice dictates a format and reinstall, especially if you do not get expert help in the cleanup.
If you don't know where you're going, you should know where you came from. Gullah Proverb

The methods used by AV-C are questioned by some in the industry also. They have files in their database that no one ever detects and the mark off as missing it since its not "malware" in anyone's eyes except their own. Also some companies adjust signatures to trigger for their test files when there is nothing wrong with the files except AV-C has added the file to their database so to get a better ranking they add them and get bumped up for the next test.

The more telling site is at VirusTotal.com and to submit a given file hash or file to see who comes back with detection first for it.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

The methods used by AV-C are questioned by some in the industry also. They have files in their database that no one ever detects and the mark off as missing it since its not "malware" in anyone's eyes except their own. Also some companies adjust signatures to trigger for their test files when there is nothing wrong with the files except AV-C has added the file to their database so to get a better ranking they add them and get bumped up for the next test.

The more telling site is at VirusTotal.com and to submit a given file hash or file to see who comes back with detection first for it.

Virus Total is a great resource, but its purpose is not to help a user make an informed decision about choosing antimalware software, and unfortunately AV-Comparatives is the only reliable, free source for antivirus comparisons. Another alternative would be to spend $175 for an annual subscription to Virus Bulletin:

http://www.virusbtn.com/

A simple pass/fail comparative chart is available on the site (registration required), but the technical results are available only to paid subscribers.

BTW, here's a tool you may not have heard of, but it can be quite useful when cleaning up an infection:

http://www.raymond.cc/blog/archives/2008/01/09/scan-your-computer-with-multiple-anti-virus-for-free/

Questions about the program can be directed to it's author, David Lipman, who provides support for the tool in a number of usenet groups including the two I mentioned.

Edited to add: In 20 years, I've never had an infection on any computer that I own, but the true measure of *my* stupidity is this: my HDD crashed (actuator arm failure) in the beginning of November, and the last time I imaged my drive was in August 2008. I've spent the time since recovering data from other sources while I decide if it's worth the cost to pay for professional recovery ($600 locally or about $1800 if I go to one of the big firms). I think others have mentioned it, but whether it's malware or a mechanical problem, important data is always at risk, and everyone should keep a current backup.

But you know that. :)
If you don't know where you're going, you should know where you came from. Gullah Proverb

You were born with the best Anti-Virus ever... your brain :)

Seriously tho, just watch what you click on and you should be virus free B|

Anti-Virus are just a marketing scam. Anyone can spread an old registered virus by just changing a few lines of code so that it is no longer "recognized". So there you have it, an old know virus spreading just like it never got caught ^^

Be smart on your clicking and everything should be fine :) If you are already infected by a bunch of virus and malware/spyware whatever, you are better off formating... B|

"Common sense is not so common" - Voltaire
Dudeist Skydiver #9