Ketia0

I need help... WRT a motorcycle puchase...

So.. Im thinking of buying another motorcycle. ;):)
It has been about 2 years since I have riden. I have only bought one other motorcycle, it was a 1983 Yamaha XJ 750... Pretty nice bike.. But now I am leaning more towards a crotch rocket.. I found this deal on craigslist, and want to know from the motorcycle people what yall think.. Is this a good deal?

Also.. What do i look for/at when purchasing a bike... Here is the link to it.

http://houston.craigslist.org/mcy/1528973314.html

Also.... It would go VERY nice with my black truck... ;)B|

As much as I dislike yammies, and crotch rockets, that looks like a good deal, for what is in the pictures, pictures can hide a lot!

But it should make you a good bike for many trouble free years!

Thanks.. but i wasnt planning on spending that much on a bike.. I like that it is $2500... Which is my price range...

Good points on the new fairings... I will have to ask him that... But.. If it has new fairings, does it matter if it was laid over??

Yea, I wont need more power than 600... O-60 in under 4 seconds is fast enough for me right now.

Any other questions I could ask?

No worries. Although I had a 600 also. Couldn't stand the lack of power, so went up to the FZ1. Has the R1 engine, just geared slightly different.

Sounds to me like that guys bike has been down before, possibly.

Hey the OP is a popcorn fart, must go a buck 5 soakin' wet! :D

Put a pipe on a Yamaha 125 and over inflate the rubber & he'd walk most the sport bikes out there! ;):ph34r:

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

It has been about 2 years since I have riden. I have only bought one other motorcycle, it was a 1983 Yamaha XJ 750... Pretty nice bike.. But now I am leaning more towards a crotch rocket.. I found this deal on craigslist, and want to know from the motorcycle people what yall think.. Is this a good deal?

As much as I dislike yammies, and crotch rockets, that looks like a good deal, for what is in the pictures, pictures can hide a lot!

What is there to dislike? Is that why most harley riders won't waive at us import riders? I always thought it was because they were too afraid of letting go of the handlebars. :P:ph34r:
www.FourWheelerHB.com

and so it begins...
:P

some of us dislike the baby donor bikes because it's just damn uncomfortable to fold our legs up like that. More so if you plan to REALLY ride.

I always liked the 750's for crotch rockets, 600 is too small, 1000's are too much. For me anyway.

and so it begins...
:P

some of us dislike the baby donor bikes because it's just damn uncomfortable to fold our legs up like that. More so if you plan to REALLY ride.

I always liked the 750's for crotch rockets, 600 is too small, 1000's are too much. For me anyway.

I get that. It was never the leg position that was an issue for me but my ass feels like it spent a year in prison after about an hour and a half ride.
www.FourWheelerHB.com

What is there to dislike? Is that why most harley riders won't waive at us import riders? I always thought it was because they were too afraid of letting go of the handlebars. :P:ph34r:

I am a certified Honda Mechanic, I may ride Harley's, BUT I wave at ALL riders, even Mopeds!

as for letting go of the bars, all my bikes are jockey shift, I usually only have one hand on the bars anyway!

Jap bikes are a blast...they just have no soul!

http://www.kbb.com/motorcycle/retail/1999/yamaha/yzf600r/82387?r=628585151223738240

He's asking too much if the thing is not showroom condition. Jap bikes are a dime a dozen and never hold any actual value. If this thing has slammed the ground, there could be damage that may not arise until later. We had a Road King out here at the H-D tech center that cost the guy a pretty penny after we disassembled it. Slightly bent swingarm, spiderweb cracks where the pivot shaft goes through the transmission case. The guy could had avoided buying a bike that had been hit and poorly repaired had he checked the rear alignment by measuring the rear alignment from axle center to pivot center on both sides.( The bike rode straight only because the alignment was off center to make it do so) Truth is, most people are mesmerized by the shine and fail to check the most important parts of the bike. Another bike that came in looked good but, had internal engine damage that would not be readily noticed by someone who is not a technician. It had a barely noticeable vibration. Flywheel alignment was off. Most likely culprit is that the bike had slammed the ground at one time that caused the flywheels to shift on the crankpin. I would steer clear of any bike that has been wrecked, unless you have the ability to do the future repairs yourself as the labor cost of repairs will quickly surpass the value of the bike. Keep in mind that most folks who are selling their old bike are not going to tell you the whole story. You want to buy a used bike? Go to a reputable bike dealer that has good techs. They are in business for a reason and most likely will give you a better deal as the bikes they are selling will have been thoroughly checked out.
"...And once you're gone, you can't come back
When you're out of the blue and into the black."
Neil Young

600 is too small? maybe I'm missing something here but I can;t agree to that . My R6 (I've had 2 of them to date) was plently of bike form me (10st, 5' 6") - 155m.p.h quick as shit off a shovel, great handling and with my build, not too bad on cmfort for long rides either - what more do you need?

In fact, for someone with 2 years off of bikes, I'd say that was WAY too much bike..... by a big margin.

(.)Y(.)
Chivalry is not dead; it only sleeps for want of work to do. - Jerome K Jerome

I am a certified Honda Mechanic, I may ride Harley's, BUT I wave at ALL riders, even Mopeds!

as for letting go of the bars, all my bikes are jockey shift, I usually only have one hand on the bars anyway!

Jap bikes are a blast...they just have no soul!

Hah I was kidding about letting go of the handlebars. Down here I get the cold shoulder from the harley guys (unless they have a woman on the back who waves at everything) as well as the moped guys (always intend to wave at them but they look away when they see me coming). The crotch rocket guys? Hell they'll wave at me when we're closing at 160 mph when we're in opposing carpool lanes.
www.FourWheelerHB.com

Hell, I ride with a guy who often rides his moped up at the H-D tech center. My bike is the FLSTFI all the way to the left. Eds bike is the Moped to the right, the Road King belongs to Beans. We get some awful strange looks as we are rolling down Hwy 69. That thing can top out over 50mph!
Neil Young

poor riders substitute horsepower for riding ability.

straightline speed isnt nearly as satisfying as dragging a knee past your buddy on his bad-ass 1000 through a tight corner on your nimble sub litre bike.

horsepower
I spent many years canyon racing on my ducati's before growing up and putting them on the track where I no longer put passerby's at risk.

Roy
They say I suffer from insanity.... But I actually enjoy it.

looks nice but im always hesitant on a bike with aftermarket paint ... fairings.. but if you go look at it just see how it was taken care of .. is the brake fluid black ?(shouldnt be) oil level where it should be? chain adjusted correctly; is it rusted ? .. simple maintenance items that alot of people are too lazy to do .. and if they are to lazy to do that what else are they not doing..

and while i do agree that 600cc's are more then enough for the road i could never go back to one after driving my liter bikes .. so nice to not have to rev the piss out them

had a 95 kan-a-tuna (katana) 04 zx6r 06 zx10r now i rock the 09 ducati 1198

keep shopping
;)

+1

What do YOU want out of a bike?

I want a bike that I can ride around on, maybe to the DZ... And something that wont break when i really get on it.. going 100mph, or so... not an everyday occurence... just when i want.

A bike that looks nice, and can preform good. Doesnt have to be perfect. :)
"In this game you can't predict the future. You just have to play the odds. "-JohnMitchell

If anything tell the seller that you want to have the bike checked out by a technician at a reputable motorcycle dealership. If the bike is all that he says that it is, he shouldn't balk at doing this and the cost of a thorough check-up should come out of the price of the bike. If he gives you crap about doing this, he is trying to pull wool over your eyes, At that, move on to your next choice.
Neil Young

If anything tell the seller that you want to have the bike checked out by a technician at a reputable motorcycle dealership. If the bike is all that he says that it is, he shouldn't balk at doing this and the cost of a thorough check-up should come out of the price of the bike. If he gives you crap about doing this, he is trying to pull wool over your eyes, At that, move on to your next choice.

Ask who he gets it serviced by. and then talk to them.
if the bike is in decent mechanical nik then there will be a service record. From the sound of things the seller does not do his own work so if he says he does, walk away from it.
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

Doesnt have to be perfect.

Wrong way of thinking... consider this... it's your ass on two wheels with nothing between you and the asphalt. My bike is 100% perfect. I perform all of my own maintenance (I am a certified H-D tech) and know bikes inside out. I want my ride to handle without question. If my ride so much as make one out of place sound, it is on the digitech. If it so much as wobble or weave when it shouldn't, I'm doing a thorough suspension check.
You wouldn't jump a canopy that is questionable, would you? You shouldn't ride a bike that is questionable. Have it thoroughly checked by a qualified technician.
Neil Young

Doesnt have to be perfect.

I want my ride to handle without question.

If it so much as wobble or weave when it shouldn't, I'm doing a thorough suspension check.

So your not riding you Harley anymore then:D:D

Come in spinner:P
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

Pass on the Yamaha. The cheapo repaint is never a good sign.

Look for original paint, and an original owner is possible. A guy who has a bike for 10 years since new, that still looks good, probably took care of it.

Either way, if you find a bike that passes your inspection, and you can agree on a price, see if the seller will take it the nearest dealership for that brand for an inspection. It will cost you $75 or $100, but to have a professional tech who works on those same bikes everyday go over it is well worth the money.

Even if they find a small problem, it could easliy cost you twice the inspection fee to repair it. There's a chance the seller might even work with you if the inspection turns up some issues.

Look at the Suzuki Katanas. They make 600 and 750s, and they have a reputation as being 'soft' sport bikes. They don't have all the racetrack hardware, so the 'xtreme' kids all turn their noses up at them and won't touch them, which is what you want. In reality, they perform well enough that a skilled rider could lap one of the 'extreme' kids on a full race GSXR anyday. They're more comfortable, less maintenence, and cheaper to buy, own, and operate than the race replicas.

Whatever you buy, hold out for a clean, stock bike with maintenence records and a seller who is game for a dealer inspection. They're out there, but it takes a little looking. Your in Texas anyway, so riding season is 363 days long, you've got time.

Also, have you asked around the DZ? Lot's of bikers at the DZ, maybe someone has a bike for sale or knows of a good bike for sale. Always better to buy from someone you know.

Look for original paint, and an original owner is possible. A guy who has a bike for 10 years since new, that still looks good, probably took care of it...

... see if the seller will take it the nearest dealership for that brand for an inspection. It will cost you $75 or $100, but to have a professional tech who works on those same bikes everyday go over it is well worth the money...

... There's a chance the seller might even work with you if the inspection turns up some issues...

...Look at the Suzuki Katanas. They make 600 and 750s, and they have a reputation as being 'soft' sport bikes...
...They're more comfortable, less maintenence, and cheaper to buy, own, and operate than the race replicas...

You might ask around at the local dealer/mechanic shops for a price on a "Pre-purchase" inspection.
Like davelepka said, well worth the money, and it may well reveal a hidden problem that would cost you a bundle.
You can then say "You didn't know that XXX was wrong, I'll still buy it, but $$$ has to come off the price".

One reason to buy a used bike from a reputable dealer is that this is supposed to be done under "disclosure laws".

Absolutely +1 on the Katana. Or the Ninja or FZR or any of the other "mid-sports". If you haven't had a crotch rocket before, this class will be a lot of fun, you won't realize the lesser abilities.
They are also (as was said) less popular among the "kid class" (not all of whom are young) which makes them far less likely to have been abused.

And then there is insurance costs.
Have you checked those out yet?

I was a bit surprised that the mid-sports were about 1/2 the cost of the super-sport/race-ready bikes. And that's for the same displacement.:o
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

99 R6 is carbureted so it requires added maintenance. The bike is overpriced for that bike with repaired plastics.

Reasons to get an R6: fun. Handles well. Low saddle height. Lots of parts available.

Reasons not to get an R6: your location. No twisty roads. If I were to be a lowish time rider looking to return to riding for the reasons I've read, look into a 2003 on up Suzuki SV650. They are easy to maintain. Have good power. They are easy to ride yet handle exceptionally well. If you wish to upgrade the forks for even better handling, there are a lot of wrecked GSXRs to take the front end from.

R6 gets crummy millage since you have to keep it revved high to have any power. Once you are in the power band, watch out! Riding in traffic, you will want it on demand. SVs have power from 3 grand to redline. Its better around 5 on up but it wont fall on its face if you snap it open at low RPMs. Top speed of about 120 and it can do it all day if you want it to.

I'm typing on a phone so hopefully that all came through correctly.

Hope that helps
Good luck.
My grammar sometimes resembles that of magnetic refrigerator poetry... Ghetto