Thanatos340

Looking for eBook reccomedations

Got a spiffy new Kindle 2 for Christmas, Now looking for new reading material to drop on it??

I Like the Kindle so far but I am really having trouble picking out new books for it. Going to take some getting used to not being able to browse books the way I am used to at the Bookstore.

I generally read a lot of Sci-Fi/Fantasy and have a paperback library of over 500 books at home. I don't really want to "Buy" them again if I have already read them.

What suggestions do you have?
(Not limited to Sci-Fi/Fantasy.. Any Genera would be good)

Got a spiffy new Kindle 2 for Christmas, Now looking for new reading material to drop on it??

I Like the Kindle so far but I am really having trouble picking out new books for it. Going to take some getting used to not being able to browse books the way I am used to at the Bookstore.

I generally read a lot of Sci-Fi/Fantasy and have a paperback library of over 500 books at home. I don't really want to "Buy" them again if I have already read them.

What suggestions do you have?
(Not limited to Sci-Fi/Fantasy.. Any Genera would be good)

Baen has a ton of stuff in their free library for download.

E-book search for when you *do* need to buy new stuff.
Mike
I love you, Shannon and Jim.
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

I'm listening to Dan Brown's "The Lost Symbol" - so far it is a good read/listen.

I also like the Dan Mahoney stuff - "Once In Never Out" was pretty good. I'm reading "Hyde" at the moment and one of the charachters is a little annoying - but entertaining.
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

It's not back-lit but it doesn't need it. I DO have a little reading light for it, but rarely use it unless it's reading in bed. It's plenty easy to read in regular lighting.

As for books, I've gone to Barnes & Noble and browsed for things I wanted, then gone home and downloaded the e-versions. I LOVE my Kindle.
TPM Sister #102

I'm listening to Dan Brown's "The Lost Symbol" - so far it is a good read/listen.

Is this book a follow up to Da Vinci code and/or Angels & Demons? I have not read the others, Should I read them before this latest one?

There are references to the some events in "The Da Vinci Code" in the book - but only in passing - not relevant - even less relevant if you as much as saw the movie.
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

Browse on Amazon.com in the genre you want to read.They have a pretty health SCI-FI section and all the books have a free sample that you can download and read before you buy. There are even some books that are FREE, you just have to download them.
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

Browse on Amazon.com in the genre you want to read.They have a pretty health SCI-FI section and all the books have a free sample that you can download and read before you buy. There are even some books that are FREE, you just have to download them.

Really?? WOW. I had no idea. I never would have thought of that.;):D:D

What I am discovering after doing exactly that for many hours over the past week or so is:

a. The eBook selection is not quite what I had hoped it would be. (Over half the Books suggested here so far are not available yet)

b. Shopping for Books online will take a little getting used to. It is not quite the same as Standing in the Bookstore, scanning the shelves, Pulling down a Books, Reading the jackets and making a decision. I am sure I will adapt over time but so far I have not been able to make that transition (Thus I decided to ask for some recommendations).

c. I usually shop Used Book Stores. If you grab 5 or 10 Books and discover you don't like a couple of them, the Books maintain some Trade value for your next visit. This is not the case with eBooks so I am being more selective than I would normally be.

d. There are A LOT of free ebooks available at Amazon. Many by newer authors that are giving away their work hoping for some exposure. So many in fact that picking a just one or two is difficult.

But if anyone has any recommendations for good reads, Please keep them coming (And I am open to all Genre`s.. Actually I would prefer to look outside of sci-fi/fantasy and broaden my reading a bit)

Loving the Kindle so far, Just having trouble picking out new books to put on it.