fallingchip

Advice on purchasing gear from classifieds?

If this has been covered before I apologize. I have spotted a container in the classifieds here on DZ.com that I think is a good deal. I did check the sellers prior adds and he/she has several things posted past and present. Is there any advice anyone could offer as cautioners measures before making this or future purchases.

Make sure that the sale is contingent on you and your riggers inspection and mutual satisfaction.If its an older rig (as was mine) price what it will cost you to have any modifcations that you feel will need to be done and decide if its a good deal.I bought a javlin 1992 mfg.date that was rol and had soft houseings.It only had 59 jumps on it and looked like new.I did send it in to sunpath for hard housing and a boc pouch and they also did a bridle protection on it and set it up for a cypress.

In most cases the seller is just as concerned about getting ripped off as you are. As the others have said riggers make good middlemen (or women) for any sale. I also find I’m far more confident sending and receiving gear directly through the drop zones. If you can, have gear shipped to the DZ for inspection. Also, if you plan on test jumping any equipment it is common courtesy to ask the seller if it’s OK before doing so.

It can be a pain in the butt arranging everything with a seller but there is a lot of great used equipment sitting around looking for a new home. Just last year I put together a CRW rig with a main canopy that had never been jumped, a reserve that was only used for a year and an old student harness for $900. It took time and a whole lot of shopping around to do but was well worth the savings over new gear.

Some great advise so far.

I may be a bit to trusting as I have never used a middleman and have bought and sold several items over the years. The skydiving cummunity is rather small and unless someone is getting out of the sport it would take alot of balls to screw someone.
The last few items I sold, I offered to not cash the check until they were satisfied. We both shipped the check and goods at the same time. My very first sale years ago I sent it to him COD but it took along time to get paid from UPS. Since then I have become more trusting and just sent out the product.

I have been screwed out of a set of risers one time, I bought a BASE rig without a shrival flap one time ( this one upset me the most- it was supposed to be complete and when I contacted him he told me to purchaset a shrival flap. I think this guy got out of the sport however still only $50) , and I am currently waiting on a check for a Micron I sent to Perris. Someday this practice may catch up with me.
Like others said, I prefer to send the item to a DZ address if I am uneasy.

If my check don't show up I just get to take a trip out to Perris to collect.:)
That spot isn't bad at all, the winds were strong and that was the issue! It was just on the downwind side.