keithbar

better mouse trap?

so my house was built in 1949 and it's got a full basement and in the middle of lots of farm fields and woodlots. so i always get a few mice in the winter. I've pretty much got a regular indoor trapline going. tried all kind of traps. the spring kill traps get the peanut butter stolen w/o going off too often for me I've settled on glue boards. but then you have the live squeeking mouse stuck to the board to deal with.[:/] I know i can't be the only one with an occ. mouse in the house what does everyone else use for a trap? or do you call the exterminator?
i have on occasion been accused of pulling low . My response. Naw I wasn't low I'm just such a big guy I look closer than I really am .

yeah but then you have to deal with a cat. AND a litterbox. I think it's less trouble to bash an occ. mouse's head in with the heel of a teva.[:/]

i have on occasion been accused of pulling low . My response. Naw I wasn't low I'm just such a big guy I look closer than I really am .

I know i can't be the only one with an occ. mouse in the house what does everyone else use for a trap?

There is a reason the Egyptians domesticated cats.

They didn't have scopes for their rifles?
"If it wasn't easy stupid people couldn't do it", Duane.

My momma said I could be anything I wanted when I grew up, so I became an a$$hole.

Since my wife and I love cats (we have 3), we haven't had any mice in years, in the house that is. Every few days, our male cat will drop a dead, sometimes mutilated rat/mouse at any of the three main entrances to our house.

Greatest rodent hunter I've ever had. B|

"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

I was seeing the occasional mouse around the house. I picked up some plastic snap traps that work really well.
http://www.bestnest.com/bestnest/RTProduct.asp?SKU=SAP-17000&src=froogle&kw=SAP-17000 I liked the ease of setting them, and the platform the mouse had to stand on to stick his maw in the cheese or peanut butter was large enough that he couldn't reach the food without triggering the trap. We thought we had a couple mice, we caught 13 in 2 days. We figure they were family, since the caught mice got progressively smaller.
What you say is reflective of your knowledge...HOW ya say it is reflective of your experience. Airtwardo

Someone's going to be spanked! Hopefully, it will be me. Skymama

Mouse killer, rat poison etc... Block off the entrances as best you can. If you're apposed to poison catch one and attach a common kitchen device to it then set it free. Here's a picture of the very useful method of reducing the rodent count.

The finisher
My grammar sometimes resembles that of magnetic refrigerator poetry... Ghetto

Leave the car running in the garage and go visit the neighbors for a few hours. :D back when i used to trap as a kid. i was taught how to get of ticks and fleas on fox, coon ,coyote etc. put the carcass in a plastic bag. seal the end around a tailpipe start the car and inflate the bag with exaust fumes. wait an hour. all pests on animal hide were dead. if it breathes oxygen. carbon monoxide will kill it.

> if it breathes oxygen. carbon monoxide will kill it.

True, but modern cars don't put out much carbon monoxide any more - really thats a tidbit of info i didn't know. so would it be related to fuel economy? i.e. the more fuel efficent a car is the less carbon monoxide is produced?

right, but I a sealed plastic bag will do the job eventually.

but the reason for the exaust pipe trick is you will ruin a hide by putting it in a plastic bag for very long at all. you leave it in the inflated bag for only 30, 40 min hour tops take the critter out and skin it w/o having to deal with live fleas and ticks:)

> if it breathes oxygen. carbon monoxide will kill it.

True, but modern cars don't put out much carbon monoxide any more - really thats a tidbit of info i didn't know. so would it be related to fuel economy? i.e. the more fuel efficent a car is the less carbon monoxide is produced?

Yes, the more efficient the engine, the less CO produced. CO comes from incomplete combustion.

Modern cars pollute far, far less than those from even 15 or 20 years ago.

Car exhaust components

The N2 is just the nitrogen already present in the air. CO2 and water comprise the majority of the rest.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

A race engine barely pollutes.

so a lawn mower would prob be a good carbon monoxide putter outer. that craftsman of mine uses damn near a whole tank when i cut my yard.:o

No matter what the exhaust will remove the breathable air, there's very little oxygen in exhaust gas.
The BB sniper riffle idea would be more fun though, maybe you could have a party and invite your friends over, or charge them admission.
"If it wasn't easy stupid people couldn't do it", Duane.

My momma said I could be anything I wanted when I grew up, so I became an a$$hole.