speedy

What is a P.O.D?

I have heard the term used in Australia in the 1970's. I had my Paracommander in one. If I recall it was kind of like a cross between a sleeve and a bag. I was also told then that P.O.D. stood for Parachute Opening Device.

POD is an acronym for Parachute (or Pack) Opening Device (here in States anyway). They are the missing link between the Sleeve and the modern Deployment Bag. I used a POD on my round Pap in the late 70s. Some called them Short Sleeves . . .

NickD :)Base194

They were common in the early to mid- 1970s. To my recollection they were only used for ParaCommander class canopies. I jumped one many times. The difference between a POD and a bag (in my mind) is that a POD used a much neater folding method of enclosing the canopy. A big is more of an S-fold stuff it in. Once packed, to a casual observer, a POD is pretty much like a bag.

-- Jeff
My Skydiving History

I never heard the term POD and for some reason am thinking SLAG here? Was there more than one term for what did the same thing?
Nobody has time to listen; because they're desperately chasing the need of being heard.

Like I said in the other thread: no, I have never heard of a deployment bag being called a P.O.D.

What do I know though; I have only been skydiving 24 years?:ph34r:

in french we acll it a POD...
maybe means it's a Pocketfull of Dollars ??
scissors beat paper, paper beat rock, rock beat wingsuit - KarlM

POD = Parachute Opening Device

... in other words, a fancy deployment bag.

What differentiates PODs from d-bags is the number 8 grommet (slider size), top dead center.
Para-Commander crown lines were routed out the #8 grommet and stowed in rubber bands on the top (bridle end) of the POD). This kept things neat, prevented sleeve slump and provided a fraction of a second of crown line (top skin) reefing.
Suspension lines were stowed in rubber bands on the bottom or front of the POD, as per modern practice. A few PODS even had fancy line covers (ala sleeves) closed with snaps or Velcro.
A lot of PODS were split with Velcro or snaps to close the slit. Supposedly the slit made it easier to stuff Para-Commanders into PODs.
This discussion really belongs in the History and Trivia forum as PODs fell out of fashion as soon as sliderized squares became popular (mid 1970s), though a few old farts stubbornly clung to old terminology.

I never heard the term POD and for some reason am thinking SLAG here? Was there more than one term for what did the same thing?

A slag is a hybrid sleeve/bag. It wasn't anything like a POD. More like a very short sleeve. It didn't enjoy much success.

-- Jeff
My Skydiving History