I bought a George Foreman Grill...

...mainly because I like grilled sausages, and it's too cold to bbq in the winter. My first observation is that the (~18") cord is way too short, so I have to move a bunch of stuff to get it close enough to an outlet. Anyone have any tips or suggestions on using the thing? Would you put a good steak in one?

"Once we got to the point where twenty/something's needed a place on the corner that changed the oil in their cars we were doomed . . ."
-NickDG

...mainly because I like grilled sausages, and it's too cold to bbq in the winter. My first observation is that the (~18") cord is way too short, so I have to move a bunch of stuff to get it close enough to an outlet. Anyone have any tips or suggestions on using the thing? Would you put a good steak in one?

Get some warmer clothes, keep a snow shovel outside the door leading to your grill, and be quick about it.

I lived in Colorado for fifteen years and rarely considered it too cold to grill.

Get some warmer clothes, keep a snow shovel outside the door leading to your grill, and be quick about it.

I lived in Colorado for fifteen years and rarely considered it too cold to grill.

I don't really care if it's cold outside, it's just hard to get the charcoals lit. Might need a lighter fluid with a higher vapor pressure or possibly an electric lighter. How do you do it?

I just finished cooking a Johnsonville Beef Brat with it. It actually browned the thing. Taste (as expected) was not nearly as good as bbq'ing it, but it was way better than nuking it. The one I bought is the second from the smallest at wally world - $18.

"Once we got to the point where twenty/something's needed a place on the corner that changed the oil in their cars we were doomed . . ."
-NickDG

I used one extensively several years ago. There are two key things to remember. First, most foods should be marinated before cooking because the weight of the upper plate does squeeze out juices from whatever you are cooking. Second, that top plate has a heat element so your food cooks much faster than you'd expect.

-blind
"If you end up in an alligator's jaws, naked, you probably did something to deserve it."

Hells yeah!

I can throw a good ribeye in the GFG for about 6 minutes, and have am awesome, super rare hunk of cow ass. YUM!

All I gotta say is that if your ribeye comes from a cows ass, then you got some fucking deformed cows[:/]:D:D

Gone fishing

Yeah, the sausage did get smashed a little by the top plate. I'll try another one in a bit sitting "horizontally" instead of "vertically". Total time before eating (TTBE) was like 8 minutes.

-NickDG

I like mine because it's great for cooking for one.

I don't have to heat up the whole oven, or get too much stuff dirty.

I usually do marinated chicken breasts on it. They get done in >10 min.

Burgers or fish fillets work good too.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

I don't really care if it's cold outside, it's just hard to get the charcoals lit. Might need a lighter fluid with a higher vapor pressure or possibly an electric lighter. How do you do it?
ymmv but I never use lighter fluid anymore I love my charcoal chimney starter i have a couple of them. just have a few pages of crumpled up newspapers handy

i have on occasion been accused of pulling low . My response. Naw I wasn't low I'm just such a big guy I look closer than I really am .

the only thing a george foreman grill is good for is drying out your buds after you realized your cat pissed all over your stash.

Buy some boneless chicken, marinate it in Ranch Dressing. Grill each piece for about 5 minutes. Delicious. My typical lunch while in school at Shepperd AFB

Be a man and go outside and BBQ. It was -26oC here New Years Eve and I was out BBQ-ing ... just wear your big girl panties and you'll be fine. :P:D:D:D:D:D
'Shell

Hells yeah!

I can throw a good ribeye in the GFG for about 6 minutes, and have am awesome, super rare hunk of cow ass. YUM!

All I gotta say is that if your ribeye comes from a cows ass, then you got some fucking deformed cows[:/]:D:D

ROFLMAO
“The only fool bigger than the person who knows it all is the person who argues with him.

Stanislaw Jerzy Lec quotes (Polish writer, poet and satirist 1906-1966)

Makes the worlds greatest grill cheese sandwiches! And other things involving meet or cheese between two pieces of bread!
Also...buy cheep microwave burritos, nuke for half the time called out or defrost. Place in grill, close grill, drink beer while burrito is cooking up, grab second beer and enjoy a great lunch!
They are good but....they aren't great. Anything bigger than say a quarter of an inch and they just don't cook right. Chicken is a little better, low cost burgers seem to work best. It's not the worst thing I've ever owned but it's not the best either.
Life through good thoughts, good words, and good deeds is necessary to ensure happiness and to keep chaos at bay.

The only thing that falls from the sky is birdshit and fools!

Hi 912,

I have one also & it will so be going to the Goodwill.

It just 'stinks' the house up too much for me. I prefer to do my grilling outside; but you're right, it is rather cold these days.

JerryBaumchen

Put in on the cooktop/range and use the ventilation hood.

I have a broan hood that kicks ass, it has a downward curtain of air that keeps the smoke and smell within the area that gets evacuated by the suction fan.

If that does not work I can start up the whole house fan.

Makes the worlds greatest grill cheese sandwiches! And other things involving meet or cheese between two pieces of bread!
Also...buy cheep microwave burritos, nuke for half the time called out or defrost. Place in grill, close grill, drink beer while burrito is cooking up, grab second beer and enjoy a great lunch!
They are good but....they aren't great. Anything bigger than say a quarter of an inch and they just don't cook right. Chicken is a little better, low cost burgers seem to work best. It's not the worst thing I've ever owned but it's not the best either.

Yeah, I was thinking that it would be good for grilled cheese.

-NickDG

When I was a boy scout they didn't let us use lighter fluid.

Instead we built our charcoal cooking fires with chimneys made out of 1 pound coffee cans with the bottom cut out and holes in the side. Fill the bottom with loose newspaper, add wood kindling on top of the paper if you want insurance that it's going to start the first time, and put the charcoal on top.

Use multiples for larger grills.

Commercial models are available if you want something nicer. Even Walmart sells charcoal chimneys:

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=10879201&sourceid=1500000000000003260350&ci_src=14110944&ci_sku=10879201

The last few HOAs have not allowed charcoal grills, so it's been a long time since I had to build a fire like that.