skittles_of_SDC

End of the decade Dec 31, 2009 or Dec 31, 2010?

We need a bonafide historian that knows about the shift from roman numerals to the hindu arabic system that happened just over 1000 years ago.

The answer to this debate really depends on whether or not the people that were resposasble for the 'changover' allowed for this factor.

I believe the zero was so important to them at the time, that they would have. But that is just a guess.

A queston for you skittles, if the year 'zero' was not allowed for, when a scientist talks about BP (before present) what happens to that year?

You were not 1 year old until you had lived for a year, we use that numbering system for dates, the symbols 2010 are hindu arabic, so wouldn't the symbols be consistent when counting backawards from now until a point before christ?

I'm no "bonafide historian", but here's what I've learned:

It seems that Dionysius Exiguus is responsible for our year numbering. In 525 AD, he came up with a table of Easter Sunday dates which had years that were based on Anni Domini Nostri Jesu Christi (the year of our Lord Jesus Christ).

Later, in 731 AD, the Venerable Bede finished writing "Ecclesiastical History of the English People." In this history, he used years that were based on Anno Domini and "Ante Vero Incarnationis Dominicae Tempus" (the time before the Lord's true incarnation) and did not use a year 0. Afterwards, this system of numbering the years became popular in Western Europe and is now the defacto standard.

For yet another link, here's what the U.S. Navy has to say on the matter:

http://aa.usno.navy.mil/faq/docs/millennium.php
--
Turn off the internet! Join Citizens United Negating Technology For Life And People's Safety!

http://www.citizensunitednegatingtechnology.org/

fuck, i'm old. I was in HIGH SCHOOL when you were born. argh.

*bangs head on desk*

That's not old. Being 90 and pooping your pants is old :)
My mom is freaking about me turning 20 this year, though. Says she's officially going to be an old lady when that happens. I cant help but laugh at her. She'll be 41. :D

I'm older than she is. :P
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

For example, from the time a person is born until their first birthday, yes, they would be 0 years old (if you were giving their age in years instead of the more normal days/months). On their first birthday, they turn 1.

They're not ZERO years old in any respect there IS NO zero years

If a baby is 1 day old and you were forced to use whole number years to tell his/her age, I think you'd have to say zero. If you could use a decimal number but were still forced to use years as the unit of measure, then, assuming a year to be 365.25 days, a 1 day old baby would be approximately 0.0027378507871321013004791238877481 years old.

This is age (measure of length of time) were talking about. Although there is no Year 0 in the Anno Domini system, zero years is a perfectly valid length of time.
--
Turn off the internet! Join Citizens United Negating Technology For Life And People's Safety!

For example, from the time a person is born until their first birthday, yes, they would be 0 years old (if you were giving their age in years instead of the more normal days/months). On their first birthday, they turn 1.

If a baby is 1 day old and you were forced to use whole number years to tell his/her age, I think you'd have to say zero. If you could use a decimal number but were still forced to use years as the unit of measure, then, assuming a year to be 365.25 days, a 1 day old baby would be approximately 0.0027378507871321013004791238877481 years old.

NOPE
They're not ZERO years old in any respect there IS NO zero years.
You cant just make it up, the idjits who try to just make themselves look silly.

There IS NO zero years
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

NOPE
They're not ZERO years old in any respect there IS NO zero years.
You cant just make it up, the idjits who try to just make themselves look silly.

There IS NO zero years

Aw man, I though we were on the same side. [:/]

Look, I don't know what else to tell you other than zero is a perfectly valid number and can be used to measure quantity, length, duration, or anything else.
--

There IS NO zero years

I stand corrected, there is a Year Zero, It's HERE, and only here

Take a stopwatch, note the HH:MM:SS look like 00:00:00

Hit start, give it a few seconds, then stop... it will look like 00:00:45. SO while there have been no minutes, there is more than 0 minutes.

It is counting the first minute, which is 0, so there are 0 minutes, but still more than absolutely no time elapsed.

I dont see whats so difficult about understanding this...
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

There IS NO zero years

Look, I don't know what else to tell you other than zero is a perfectly valid number and can be used to measure quantity, length, duration, or anything else.
We are, but i refuse to allow Zero as a year, that's one of those small steps toward dumbing down. and i wont do that.
As I posted previously Zero is a valid reference, it separates positive and negative integers. and i'm all for that.
But there is NO ZERO YEAR,
Those who insist there is are wrong
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

Hit start, give it a few seconds, then stop... it will look like 00:00:45. SO while there have been no minutes, there is more than 0 minutes.

It is counting the first minute, which is 0, so there are 0 minutes, but still more than absolutely no time elapsed.

ZERO is an absolute, 0.45 is not it is 45 100ths of a minute, it is NOT ZERO mintues
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

ZERO is an absolute, 0.45 is not it is 45 100ths of a minute, it is NOT ZERO mintues

It is zero minutes elapsed, so it doesnt count as a whole minute...

But, if you want to go down that road, then the first year was only say, 11/12ths (for november) of a year, so its not 1 year yet.
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly

There IS NO zero years

We are, but i refuse to allow Zero as a year, that's one of those small steps toward dumbing down. and i wont do that.
As I posted previously Zero is a valid reference, it separates positive and negative integers. and i'm all for that.
But there is NO ZERO YEAR,
Those who insist there is are wrong

In the Anno Domini system, no there is no year 0.

In the Astronomical system, yes there is:

2 AD = +2
1 AD = +1
1 BC = 0
2 BC = -1
3 BC = -2

Even NASA uses it:

http://eclipse.gsfc.nasa.gov/SEhelp/dates.html
--

Give up on ski. He'll never understand. He's infantry material that somehow ended up in a better MOS. :P:D

Prolly had something to do with the 123 I got for COMMO on my ASVAB.

Oddly enough, I did score higher on Electrical, Food, Maint, Mechanical, Field Artillery, and Combat...

Come to think of it, my lowest scores were GT and Admin... guess I dont make a good pencil pusher.

I do have the MOS that requires the highest scores in the Signal Corps...

For the sake of this argument the number 0 doesn't exist. In the context of this argument erase the number 0 from your memory. I mean everyone who is arguing the new decade started already not just ski.

Just cause you dont want it to be there, doest mean it isnt...

Obviously zero was derrived for a reason.

For the sake of this argument the number 0 doesn't exist. In the context of this argument erase the number 0 from your memory. I mean everyone who is arguing the new decade started already not just ski.

Quite the opposite, sir. Just because you all DO want it to be there doesn't mean it is. There have been several links provided stating there is no year 0. I have yet to see any of the folks arguing for this being the start of a new decade provide a link from a legitimate source stating there was indeed a year 0.

Yes so that you had a transition point between positive and negative numbers, not so some clown can think it belongs on a calendar :ph34r::ph34r:
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

For those of you having an issue with this I made you a visual representation which will hopefully help you understand. Since there is no year 0 (as indicated from every source that has been cited in this thread) it goes directly from 1 bc to 1 ad. That is 1 year. The problem is you folks are thinking of 1 bc as -1 and 1 ad as +1 in which case it would need to be separated by 0. Unfortunately this is incorrect thinking since 1 bc is not actually -1 per se.

Yes so that you had a transition point between positive and negative numbers, not so some clown can think it belongs on a calendar :ph34r::ph34r:

You are very right sir. People seem to be thinking of 1 BC as -1 and 1 AD as +1 and therefore in their minds there needs to be a 0 separating the 2.

You are very right sir. People seem to be thinking of 1 BC as -1 and 1 AD as +1 and therefore in their minds there needs to be a 0 separating the 2.

Ahem:

2 AD = +2
1 AD = +1
1 BC = 0
2 BC = -1
3 BC = -2

Even NASA uses it:

--

Ahem:

2 AD = +2
1 AD = +1
1 BC = 0
2 BC = -1
3 BC = -2

Even NASA uses it:

DONT MISS QUOTE THINGs

you oalso left out this little gem

Astronomical date numbering was developed for astronomical calculations

IT's NOT a Calendar system, it's a system for mathematics, for calulating astrominical data.
Not an alternative calendar

NOW GET BACK IN YA BOX:ph34r::ph34r:
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

Ahem:

2 AD = +2
1 AD = +1
1 BC = 0
2 BC = -1
3 BC = -2

Even NASA uses it:

Religion did something illogical? :o
Stupidity if left untreated is self-correcting
If ya can't be good, look good, if that fails, make 'em laugh.