skittles_of_SDC

End of the decade Dec 31, 2009 or Dec 31, 2010?

P.S there is a right and wrong answer and you are probably wrong. :P

I debated not even putting an option for Dec 31, 2009 to show those of you who believe that is the answer that you are wrong.

I've been having this argument on Facebook. I don't wanna act like I'm smarter than people... but I'm smarter than a lot of people. :P

ETA: This is one of those topics that bugs me and I will physically fight you over it. :P:D

I'm glad to know I'm not the only "math geek" here.

It was a lot worse back in 1999 when everyone thought the end of the century and millineum was on Dec 31, 1999 instead of Dec 31, 2000

One of the funnier (to me at least) aspects of it was the people who couldn't understand why the newspapers from 1899 didn't seem to take note of the end of the century. They did all the "What will the future hold" stuff at the end of 1900 (the real end of the century)

They call it the "Odometer Effect".
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

Good god. This was beat to death 10 years ago.

Yes Skittles, you are one smart mo fo. :S

Awww, thanks. I appreciate that. :)

Hey it's a big accomplishment that you can count to 10:)
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

That is the correct answer. The calendar numbering system went from 1 BC to 1 AD with no year 0 in between.

That depends on where you were in the world at the time.

The numbering system using zero dates 'A LONG TIME' Before Christ, in Asia and South America

Since we use the Hindu Arabic number system, would not that have been allowed for when calculating from the symbols used previously?

The history of this is fickle, there were a number of different systems used 'at the time' and it was not until somwhere within a few hundred years before 1000AD, that 'Zero' was adopted by the west.

When a scientist talks about BP (before present) what happens to that year, you know, the one between BC and AD?
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, then the world will see peace." - 'Jimi' Hendrix

The 20th century called and wants their idiot back. By your logic, that means if a person was born in 1990, they were born in the eighties. :S

This is an example of how it works for all the idiots out there.

The 50's - 1950 -1959

The 60's - 1960 - 1969

The 70's - 1970 - 1979

ecetra, ecetra.

"No cookies for you"- GFD
"I don't think I like the sound of that" ~ MB65
Don't be a "Racer Hater"

so, am I right or wrong?
dec 31, 2010

That is the correct answer. The calendar numbering system went from 1 BC to 1 AD with no year 0 in between.

Since Christ was actually born around 6 BC it doesn't matter.

What REALLY matters for all practical purposes is that you gotta put that "1" in there when you're writing down the dates.

That is of more significance than whether or not there was a "year 0" way back when.
Speed Racer
--------------------------------------------------

The 20th century called and wants their idiot back. By your logic, that means if a person was born in 1990, they were born in the eighties. :S

This is an example of how it works for all the idiots out there.

The 50's - 1950 -1959

The 60's - 1960 - 1969

The 70's - 1970 - 1979

ecetra, ecetra.

I was born in 1990 :P

PS- I dont think it matters which year we choose as the end of a decade.

fuck, i'm old. I was in HIGH SCHOOL when you were born. argh.

*bangs head on desk*

That's not old. Being 90 and pooping your pants is old :)
My mom is freaking about me turning 20 this year, though. Says she's officially going to be an old lady when that happens. I cant help but laugh at her. She'll be 41. :D

fuck, i'm old. I was in HIGH SCHOOL when you were born. argh.

*bangs head on desk*

Not to worry dear.... I am older and more decrepit.. the penalty for surviving is getting old.

Pssst you were not even a twinkle in your parents eye when I was graduating from HS

One more example to set this straight, Everyone was born at 0 years old not 1 year old. If you think you were born 1 year old then you'll never catch up.
"No cookies for you"- GFD
"I don't think I like the sound of that" ~ MB65
Don't be a "Racer Hater"