Expatriate Anthem: Joni Mitchell's "The Urge for Going"

Folks,

In a few short days I will mark four years away from the USA.

In those four years, I have been home in Seattle a total of 35 days.

Here is a beautiful song that I'm sending out to all my expatriate fellows (that includes you, mnealtx) - those who've willingly forsaken their homes and loved ones to lead hard, lonely lives, far overseas.

Joni Mitchell - The Urge for Going

mh
"The mouse does not know life until it is in the mouth of the cat."

Folks,

In a few short days I will mark four years away from the USA.

In those four years, I have been home in Seattle a total of 35 days.

Here is a beautiful song that I'm sending out to all my expatriate fellows (that includes you, mnealtx) - those who've willingly forsaken their homes and loved ones to lead hard, lonely lives, far overseas.

Joni Mitchell - The Urge for Going

mh

Great song! I first heard this as done by Tom Rush. I learned the song and then forgot about it years ago. I still have the album so I'll be digging it out for another listen. Thanks. :)

What a great Joni song Mark. Thank you very much.

I was quite surprised I'd never heard it before and that the video was from early in her career so I did some googling. Originally recorded by Tom Rush in 1968, her version was released in 1972 as a B-side of a single. First time on an album wasn't until 1996 on her "Hits" compilation.
--
Murray

"No tyranny is so irksome as petty tyranny: the officious demands of policemen, government clerks, and electromechanical gadgets." - Edward Abbey

That is a really pretty one and I'm not even a Joni Mitchel fan.
But I prefer Jimmy Buffets "Cowboy in the Jungle" for the expat sentiment. But I'm from Fla. Living in Robeson County North Carolina is an awful lot like living in a third world country. :)

Most of the things worth doing in the world had been declared impossilbe before they were done.
Louis D Brandeis

Where are we going and why are we in this basket?

That is a really pretty one and I'm not even a Joni Mitchel fan.
But I prefer Jimmy Buffets "Cowboy in the Jungle" for the expat sentiment. But I'm from Fla. Living in Robeson County North Carolina is an awful lot like living in a third world country. :)

yeah, I gave that a listen, but IMO it's only apropos for KBR types (e.g., Redneck in the Jungle - you'd agree if you saw what a bunch of Inbred Jeds they are - :ph34r::D:SB|)

mh
"The mouse does not know life until it is in the mouth of the cat."