jonstark

Pilot's rig question

Must a pilot allowing parachute operations out of his a/c IAW part 105 wear an emergency rig?

I have only found in Part 91.307 the rqmt if maneuvers are beyond so many degrees of pitch/roll. I haven't seen any mention in part 105.

???
Thanks
jon

I recall years ago that I called the FAA on that very subject. I was informed that yes, everyone aboard including the pilot must wear an emergency rig.

When questioning several jump pilots recent years they told me it was optional. So either they are wrong, i was informed wrongly or the FAA changed the FAR's.

I have a friend in the Milwaukee FISDO who I will call tomorrow and have him give me an interpenetration of any FAR pertaining to such and these days I always ask for a letter of verification.

I will post my findings and will send a copy by PM to all that ask.

I personally had to bail out of a 182 in 1976 and will never get into the pilot seat without one. They have saved far too many lives (including mine) to take a chance.
You live more in the few minutes of skydiving than many people live in their lifetime

Must a pilot allowing parachute operations out of his a/c IAW part 105 wear an emergency rig?

I think some of it has to do with the STC for flying with the door off or for jumping, but I'm not sure. I know many Twin Otter pilots don't wear them.

IIRC something about 'separate' cabin & cockpit, ~door open in the cabin is okay w/o a PIC rig if the 'cockpit/boxoffice' is considered separated, as in an Otter.

Then again the FISDO guy I'm quoting was pretty wasted that night. :ph34r:

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

:o What was it, reserve into the horizontal stab?

No, but Jimmy Godwin almost bought it that way in '75 and he didn't have a choice since, no chute. He fought the plane all the way back but told me he would have bailed if wearing a chute.

Mine was an engine fire that turned the cabin IFR with tons of black smoke in a matter of seconds. The jumpers had already left and I was on the way down. It was so thick I had to feel my way to jump door handle. Got a lot of smoke in my lungs too. This shit happens lightning fast.
You live more in the few minutes of skydiving than many people live in their lifetime

Mine was an engine fire that turned the cabin IFR with tons of black smoke in a matter of seconds. The jumpers had already left and I was on the way down. It was so thick I had to feel my way to jump door handle. Got a lot of smoke in my lungs too. This shit happens lightning fast.

My dad used to fly jumpers in a 172 near Great Falls, Montana back in 1965/66. He visited my DZ one day (its a 182 DZ) and saw the pilot wearing an e-rig. The comment was something like "why put up with that, he'll never be able to get out, especially since you guys actually have a door on the plane!" He was also surprised to hear that we had seatbelts in the plane.

Different world back then, I guess.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

Hi twardo,

IIRC something about 'separate' cabin & cockpit, ~door open in the cabin is okay w/o a PIC rig if the 'cockpit/boxoffice' is considered separated, as in an Otter.

Once again, I do not speak for the FAA.

Back in the early ~80's I was talking with Scotty Hamilton, the aviation attorney at that time about this and he said that this was something that USPA was working on.

I never heard anymore about; and really did not need to.

It would be interesting to see the feds step in and answer this one. :P

JerryBaumchen

I spoke at length today with an FAA Inspector at Jacksonville FISDO. He got back to me later since he wanted to research the subject. He as well as other Inspectors all confirmed there is no regulation that states a jump pilot must wear a parachute.

He added that it would be unlikely there was any consideration on the subject in previous years since the primary duty of the FAA is to protect the public and passengers and doesn't interfere with a Pilots personal choice.

Even pilots doing aerobatics do not have to have one if they are alone, just while carrying passengers then both must have them.

There is no Federal Aviation Regulation (FAR) requirement for a pilot to wear an emergency parachute while flying skydivers. However, there can be a requirement in the aircraft’s STC for operating with the door removed or in the FAA 337 Field Approval for an in-flight door. Some approvals require "all occupants" to wear a parachute, while some specify that the pilot must wear a parachute, yet other approvals don’t even address the issue. A pilot should check each aircraft’s modification paperwork to determine if an emergency rig is required to be worn by the pilot.

Randy Ottinger, USPA Director of Government Relations
www.uspa.org

Read the USPA blog!

Mike ; can you tell us the story of having to bail ?

Here is the answer I wrote before;

"Mine was an engine fire that turned the cabin IFR with tons of black smoke in a matter of seconds. The jumpers had already left and I was on the way down. It was so thick I had to feel my way to jump door handle. Got a lot of smoke in my lungs too. This shit happens lightning fast."

Thats about it except for the fact there was no insurance on the plane and the FAA didn't even care about it since there was no injuries or property damage. Speculation was that the culprit was some kind of oil/fuel leak in the engine compartment which caught fire. Though the plane was destroyed and the fire was put out when the plane hit, the conclusion was drawn by the mechanic who went through the wreckage.