wayneflorida

Mark McGwire?

Everyone that gets up in arms about drugs in baseball doesn't know or refused to acknowledge the history of baseball. How the early history of professional baseball is woven with cocaine use. In our modern society, in which the drugs previously consumed by ball players are now illegal, should it be tolerated? No.

However, those who lament that baseball is this pure and noble thing have no idea of the past it shared with our society. It is in line with the "He's the reason for the season" Christmas crowd.

Anyways, Ah-nold juiced, he hasn't been banned from movies, politics or marrying into important families.:D

--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

Am I the only one who wasn't the least bit surprised by the announcement today? I thought it was common knowledge that he was on steroids when he did that. Guess not. :S

No. Anyone (with any intelligence) who watched him get unnaturally huge as fast as he did (same goes for Giambi and Bonds) knows perfectly well what he was doing.

One of the more interesting clips was one of McGwire and Randy Johnson in college at the same time (and they were nearly the same size). McGwire got huge, Johnson didn't - and he was well known for his dedication to fitness. But as a pitcher not a hitter, Johnson didn't need to bulk up.

By going public and apologizing, he has opened the door for the fans to forgive him.

And they will, it's been done too many times (Michael Vick is only the most recent).
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

Ban from baseball I say.

Fuck'em all!!! Strip them of their records and give it back to Roger Maris (the natural HR record holder).

http://themattgonzalezreader.wordpress.com/2009/06/15/stealing-bases-is-baseball-fair-with-steroids/
*I am not afraid of dying... I am afraid of missing life.*
----Disclaimer: I don't know shit about skydiving.----

Am I the only one who wasn't the least bit surprised by the announcement today? I thought it was common knowledge that he was on steroids when he did that. Guess not. :S

Same here. He just merely confirmed what I knew all along.

I remember when he and his fellow bash brother Jose Canseco came up through Double A ball in Huntsville Stars (AL) in their inaugural season. The Stars easily won their league championship that year, and the bros were on their way to Oakland.
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

Fuck'em all!!! Strip them of their records and give it back to Roger Maris

(the natural ACTUAL HR record holder)

To any baseball purist Roger still is #1 (with no *)

100%

Wow! what a shock. Yeah right. This is old news since he basically admitted to steroid use by his refusal to directly answer the question in front of congress. The infamous "i'm not here to talk about the past" bullshit he spewed, made me wanna puke.
The only reason he is admitting it now because his good friend Tony LaRussa gave the desperate loser a job. McGuire probably begged him for a job. But he knows that come spring training he would get hammered by the press everyday and that would not be good for the ball club. LaRussa probably told him he had to come clean if he wanted the job. LaRussa sseems like a pretty standup guy.
Being a die hard Red Sox fan it is hard for me to admit any achievement by a Yankee but I'm with everyone else. Strip any of these guys of their records and give it back to Roger Maris. Yeah and no hall of fame. They can all go join Pete Rose in a circle jerk.
Just my .02
Rodriguez Brother #1626
Dudiest Skydiver #1962
DPH #-2

To quote the Fark.com headline: "In a move that surprises nobody outside of St. Louis, Mark McGwire admits to steroid usage"

So, yeah, I'm with you.

Well, I was shocked, I tell you SHOCKED, that he admitted doing steroids.:ph34r:
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

I don't know what to think. So many of them used that shit. It seems unfair they should get to keep their records. I don't think he should be banned from baseball but I don't think they should be in the hall of fame either. But either way I'm not going to stop watching baseball. I just wish they would stop using so we could be talking about great players instead of cheaters.
AKA MG Hammer Flying Hellfish #834 Son's Of Bacon #1

I don't know what to think. So many of them used that shit. It seems unfair they should get to keep their records. I don't think he should be banned from baseball but I don't think they should be in the hall of fame either. But either way I'm not going to stop watching baseball. I just wish they would stop using so we could be talking about great players instead of cheaters.

Perhaps the biggest shame is that Roger Maris still hasn't been inducted into the Hall of Fame.

Fuck'em all!!! Strip them of their records and give it back to Roger Maris

(the natural ACTUAL HR record holder)

To any baseball purist Roger still is #1 (with no *)

I agree! Major League Baseball should strip McGwire of his 'records', as well as anyone else who drugged their way to records. There's no major league sport that is 'squeaky clean' but allowing things like this to continue is wrong.

Chuck

I don't think they should be in the hall of fame

No surprise that he was doping. I think most people suspected he was.
They need to open a new hall-The Hall of Shame. Sure would be a crowed place.
"...And once you're gone, you can't come back
When you're out of the blue and into the black."
Neil Young

To any baseball purist Roger still is # 1 2 (with no an *)

Fixed it for ya.

When some non-druggie hits 61 in 154 games, we'll have a new record-holder. I was pulling for Matt Williams in '94, but the strike got him.

I don't believe McGwire, Bonds, etal will ever get into the Hall, nor do they deserve to. And I don't think Maris' career numbers justify his entry into the HOF either.....just my opinion.

Don
"When in doubt I whip it out,
I got me a rock-and-roll band.
It's a free-for-all."

Fixed it for ya.

When some non-druggie hits 61 in 154 games, we'll have a new record-holder. I was pulling for Matt Williams in '94, but the strike got him.

I don't believe McGwire, Bonds, etal will ever get into the Hall, nor do they deserve to. And I don't think Maris' career numbers justify his entry into the HOF either.....just my opinion.

Don

Agreed

***And I don't think Maris' career numbers justify his entry into the HOF either.....just my opinion.

Don

Correct. Regardless of what someone did in one season, the HOF looks at the entire career of a player for consideration.

Now I wouldn't mind if the HOF set up a separate area for honorable mentions, for people like Maris... not giving them full induction, but noting their singular achievements...
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

Fixed it for ya.

Don

Agreed

He represented the A's in the All-Star Game in 1959.

In 1960, his first season with the Yankees, he led the league in slugging percentage, runs batted in, and extra base hits and finished second in home runs (one behind teammate Mickey Mantle) and total bases (four behind Mantle).

He was recognized as an outstanding defensive outfielder with a Gold Glove Award, and also won the American League's Most Valuable Player award.

In 1961, the season was extended from 154 games to 162 games. 8 whole games. This season Maris hit 61 home runs and set a record that would stand for 37 years.

Maris played with four teams during a 12-year Major League career, appearing in seven World Series and winning three World Championships.

..... but yeah maybe you guys are right. They should just reserve the Hall of Fame for players that consistently hit a .320 average and above and have the fewest errors each season. Forget about achievements like the one's Maris accomplished.:S[:/]