masterrig

Is it cold where you are?

Gee... that's rough!:D
Hasn't gotten over 28-deg.F all day. If, we're going to get all this cold air, we could at least have some snow with it![:/] I think, the last winter I've seen like this was 1981 or '82. This time last year, I had to cut the grass in the yard.

Chuck

Heat wave in central NJ today! It was 39°F today! Since the wind wasn't howling I tried out my new "cap support" today: Pulled the cap off the back of the truck, ran to the store, loaded 2 new fence sections, ran home & fixed the fence that got blown down before X-mas (55 MPH winds for 20 minutes, also broke two power poles on my property & another down the road), & got the cap back on the truck. Supposed to start snowing tonite, again, but only 1"-3" expected. Oh, & we'll be back in the deep freeze soon enough, along with most of the country.

http://www.weather.com/weather/local/08533

Global warming? Must be in Copenhagen. :P

When the only tool you have is a hammer, every problem looks like a nail.

That's a fairly big chore. Have you ever noticed... you seem to work faster in colder weather?:D We get-up to 90-mph winds at times... especially in the Spring-time. More often, winds get-up to around 70-mph. Fortunately, we haven't had any serious damage. Two power poles blown down is definately, not a good thing.

Chuck

Windchill was in the low 20s(F) today where I am. I ride a motorcycle all day at work. It was cold. That and I HATE full face helmets, hate them. So I have an open face helmet, fleece ninja mask, a fleece face mask, a fleece neck warmer, a very thick/heavy lined leather jacket, thermals on, two layers of gloves, knee high boots and my Oakley sunglasses. There was a small part of my brow line that wasn't covered. That exposure to the wind and cold gave me a headache.

I still wouldn't trade this job for a world. I get to ride a very nice BMW motorcycle all day and get paid to do it. That's pretty neat.B|

(That and it still beats the 110F weather this summer)!:o

--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

You're a fortunate man! Doing something you love to do and getting paid for it. Keep warm and be safe.

Life is so good, it worries me sometimes. I have a great wife, so very smart and pretty and lovely and just all around the perfect match for me. I have a good job, she has a good job, we're expanding our family by one come March. We have a nice house and nice stuff for us to enjoy and to share with our friends. We've worked for all of it, so we appreciate what we have even more. We have nice friends and live in a nice neighborhood. Most importantly is that we love each other deeply and our good friends, as well as a family.

She skydives, I skydive, she does good RW and I swoop and tandem. She does triathlons and I get to cheer for her when she does them. She comes to swoop comps and cheers for me.

We're not rich, but we're not poor. We're not perfect, but we're perfect for each other.

If a little thing like being cold at work is all I have to bitch about, then life is excellent!:)
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

You're a fortunate man! Doing something you love to do and getting paid for it. Keep warm and be safe.

Life is so good, it worries me sometimes. I have a great wife, so very smart and pretty and lovely and just all around the perfect match for me. I have a good job, she has a good job, we're expanding our family by one come March. We have a nice house and nice stuff for us to enjoy and to share with our friends. We've worked for all of it, so we appreciate what we have even more. We have nice friends and live in a nice neighborhood. Most importantly is that we love each other deeply and our good friends, as well as a family.

She skydives, I skydive, she does good RW and I swoop and tandem. She does triathlons and I get to cheer for her when she does them. She comes to swoop comps and cheers for me.

We're not rich, but we're not poor. We're not perfect, but we're perfect for each other.

If a little thing like being cold at work is all I have to bitch about, then life is excellent!:)

I would call what you and your wife have as being very 'successful'. What you have comes from just what you said... hard work. Just your thinking of what you have should keep your mind off the cold. Congratulations on your up-coming new member to your family.

Chuck

West Texas... 10:30 AM and 24 degrees. Clear and sunny!:D
This is supposed to be the coldest winter for the U.S. in 25-yrs.!

Chuck

Hi m-r,
"YES..BRRRRRRRR!!" Not bad now, Wx says 30* tonight but after the front goes thru it's only suppose to get to 34* tomorrow and "A Frigid Fifteen!!" tomorrow night!! It's so cold that the thought of a "Cold Beer" ain't interesting!! Guess I'll have to break out my Espresso machine and start making "Crater Bait Cocktails!" aka "Double Malfunctions!! Ya' start yer Espresso brewing then get a 12 oz beer mug and put in a jigger of Coffee liquor, Irish Cream, Dark Rum and a smidge of Amaretto, Frangellico or the like and when the steam comes up, froth all that in the mug and pour the whole caraffe of espresso over it. Top with coolwhip and cinnamon optional. enjoy!! If this doesn't warm you up, nothing will!!
SCR-2034, SCS-680

III%,
Deli-out

I loved what you wrote. :)
Always be kinder than you feel.

This time last year I was sleeping in my tent in 14 degree lows out in the Davis Mountains while on a prescribed fire detail. Was supposed to be back out there for another couple weeks starting next week but a nasty bout of bronchitis is going to keep me home in "warm" south Texas. I LOVE the Davis Mountains in the winter. So crisp and clean, and with the right sleeping bag one of my favorite places to camp in the winter.

Last night at 3:30am it was 61 degrees when I got back to the station from a call. Went out again at 5:45 and it was 50 degrees, got off shift at 10am it was 40 and by noon it was 31. It's just not right, not in South Texas!!!
Killing threads since 2004.

Sorry to hear about your having bronchitis.
Seems like there's always a threat of fire in the Davis Mountains. Usually, it's some idiot who throws a cigarette out the car window or someone using a cutting torch or welding. I guess, they figure the 'burn ban' is off it's o.k. You'd think, the dry grass would be a dead give-away! I do know, you firefighters had a heckuva time this past summer!

Chuck

Stupid people do seem to come out of the wood work. I moved on to EMS full time as fire was taking a pretty big toll on my broke ass body, so getting on some fires is just a side job once in a while now. Winter time out there is fire SETTING time. Last winter we burned upwards of 18,000 acres in two weeks. It's amazing what you can do with planning and the right personnel/equipment. Wish I didn't have to miss it this year!

More prescribed fire means less wildfire = a good thing. It's tough to think that way though when wildfire = overtime!
Killing threads since 2004.

...and get your motor runnin', too! :D

Chuck

Hi Chuck,
'Got that right!! 'Ya take a slug of one of those cocktails and 'ya start doin' that halfa' arm flappin' funky chicken dance and hoot and holler' like Jack Nicholson playing George the lawyer in "Easy rider" did!!!:ph34r::ph34r::D:D;);)
SCR-2034, SCS-680

III%,
Deli-out

I love seeing people who are postive and appreciative of their lives. Love it!!:)
You create life, life does not create you.

It's difficult for a lot of folks to understand 'controlled burns' but they do help. Folks in the mountains love their wood-burning stoves but don't maintain them. Cold weather comes and that's when the trouble starts.
By the way, I've done most of my cowboyin' in Jeff Davis county... know it well!

Chuck

Iguanas

Iquanas are cold-blooded and when the temp gets
too low, they hibernate (kind of).

The most humorous stories are the people who take
them into their homes to "revive them".
They do revive. Then, you have a 3-4 ft reptile going
through an anxiety attack in your kitchen.
They knock over stuff.

Rattlers will get fairly motionless around 30 degrees too.
It seems unfair to shoot them while they are sleeping,
but I take every advantage with something that would
like to bite me.

In other words . . . don't judge the US by what might be happening in your neck of the woods. It's a big flippin' country.

Unlike the UK - which looks like this right now. If you could zoom in far enough, you'd see that everything has ground to a halt, the way it generally does when we get more than an inch of snow.

Looks like Southern Ireland is the place to be right now. Must be the Gulf Stream effect.

In other words . . . don't judge the US by what might be happening in your neck of the woods. It's a big flippin' country.

Unlike the UK - which looks like this right now. If you could zoom in far enough, you'd see that everything has ground to a halt, the way it generally does when we get more than an inch of snow.

Looks like Southern Ireland is the place to be right now. Must be the Gulf Stream effect.

only south of the border mate i was still at work this week after new year buisness as usual !:D

Billy-Sonic Haggis Flickr-Fun

I saw a story on the news yesterday about Iguanas in Florida. They showed Iguanas in the cold weather there and the reptiles fall-out of the trees. When it warms-up, they become active again. It was pretty funny. They look dead but in reality, their heart rate slows down.

Chuck