shah269

Top 10: Starter Bikes

Here is my bike, this was taken at a track day and it's road legalB|

http://i478.photobucket.com/albums/rr150/R-Boris/mejumping.jpg

Road legal? where is your light? removed for racing?
My son is also into Duel sport, (we were at a club meeting just last night)
His DR 650.. Lotta bike for a 15 yearold kid...(Ca. you can ride a motorcycle on the street at 15 1/2...)
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v400/onekick/field/100_0323.jpg

Thanks for posting this! I'm currently looking at the Sportster. My Vespa is fun, but I'd like something a little more freeway friendly.

A VESPA! ;)
Good god girl you ROCK! I MEAN ROCK HARD!
WOO HOOO!
OK well you seem to have good taste.
My suggestion is to go out and sit on as many bikes as you can.
Then take the required safety class.
Then invest in good gear, e me and I'll show you a great link.
Then find what you want but used.
If you want style and that naked look, the Ducati Monster is getting cheaper and cheaper and can easily be found second hand. It's short, light and well it's a Duck and will look great next to the Vespa.
Life through good thoughts, good words, and good deeds is necessary to ensure happiness and to keep chaos at bay.

The only thing that falls from the sky is birdshit and fools!

I've already taken the MSF course and I've got good gear. Just because the Vespa's a scooter doesn't make cagers any less dangerous. The Harley dealer here is willing to let me retake just the riding portion of the MSF anytime I want as a refresher for really cheap, because the Vespa doesn't have a clutch or footbrake, and I'd like to remind myself how those work before I go testing any motorcycles. I'd like to be able to focus on how the bike feels rather than "OMG I'm going to stall this thing and look like a total noob!"

Unfortunately, I don't have room to keep the Vespa and a bike, so the Vespa's going to be a trade-in or sold. I've just got a carport, so I only have room for my car and one bike parked in front of the car.

The Harley dealer here has an 08 Sporty that's only got 700 miles on it for a pretty good price, and he's willing to take the Vespa as a trade-in. I've got a credit fraud issue to straighten out on my credit report (dealt with, just have to wait til it shows up on the report), and provided the bike's still there when I can get the financing lined up, I'm probably going to get the Sporty as long as I like it.

I know it'd probably be better if I just sold the Vespa privately, but that seems like a PITA.

SMART girl on the MSF course and the gear! Remember full face, boots, gloves, pants and jacket. Skin doesn't always grow back.

I've got this image of my mind of a guy named Scab coming into a Harley dealership and looking at the Vespa thinking...oh yeah I can put some nice chrome on that and some loud pipes! :)
Good luck ride safe and have fun!

Life through good thoughts, good words, and good deeds is necessary to ensure happiness and to keep chaos at bay.

His DR 650.. Lotta bike for a 15 yearold kid...(Ca. you can ride a motorcycle on the street at 15 1/2...)

Technically you don't need a light or indicators on a bike for it to be road legal in the UK, you just can't ride at night with the bike. In this case, I have taken the lights off (no indicators fitted) for the track day ( I have an acerbis Cyclopes fitted). As for your son, very cool, I would have loved to have gotten into bikes at an early age. I have only been riding for a year and a bit. In the UK you can ride a bike at 17 it just has to be restricted to 33bhp, or if you are 21 you can do a direct access course and ride any size bike once you have passed the test (That’s what I did).

Bah. My very first bike was a 1450cc Harley-Davidson Fat Boy

My next (and current) bike is a 1585cc Harley-Davidson Fat Boy

Loved every second, have not had an accident so far in 55,000 miles of riding.

Its clear to me what the best starter bike is :)
__

My mighty steed

Bah. My very first bike was a 1450cc Harley-Davidson Fat Boy

My next (and current) bike is a 1585cc Harley-Davidson Fat Boy

Loved every second, have not had an accident so far in 55,000 miles of riding.

Its clear to me what the best starter bike is :)

Dipped into the testosterone this morning did we?:D

Back to reality...What kind of riding do you plan to do?

There are dozens of good starter bikes, that would suck, for the wrong type of riding!

You don't buy a DR650 for riding long highway miles, and you don't buy a hawg to run off road, (although I off road mine a lot)

Unfortunately, I don't have room to keep the Vespa and a bike, so the Vespa's going to be a trade-in or sold. I've just got a carport, so I only have room for my car and one bike parked in front of the car.

Put the Vespa in the living room, it makes for a great conversation piece :)
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

Yeah, but then I'd still have to keep making payments on it!

Sucks! Because they are so much fun to ride!
Well enjoy your new bike! :)

I love that Triumph Bonneville. I think I just decided to trade in my Ducati.

I'm trying t5o alk the wife into buying a Triumph Speedmaster, or Amercan:)
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

Actually the 650 dual sports bikes can be good for long distance riding, and are excellent first bikes, if you are tall enough.

I rode my KLR 650 all the way from Montréal to El Salvador, and my friend (on a DR 650) and brother from Mexico to Costa Rica.

The riding position is relaxed, the suspension soft, and at the speeds they go the wind doesn't beat you up too much.

We had no mechanical problems, and we could ride the highways, the trails or jump on the beaches whenever we wanted.

They are tall, so you can see over the other cars, and can be a lot of fun in town, as you can go over curbs, potholes and speedbumps without even slowing down.

Smaller ducati monsters (695, 750) are also a great choice. They are classy and sporty, but have a low seat and are easy to ride for beginners.

And in a few years when you outgrow them you can trade for a real monster B|

Yeah, but then I'd still have to keep making payments on it!

Sucks! Because they are so much fun to ride!
Well enjoy your new bike! :)

They are. I love my vespa, but just scooting around town isn't what I want to do anymore.

Well I hope they give you a good deal on it. Ride safe ok! :)

Technically you don't need a light or indicators on a bike for it to be road legal in the UK, you just can't ride at night with the bike. In this case, I have taken the lights off (no indicators fitted) for the track day ( I have an acerbis Cyclopes fitted). As for your son, very cool, I would have loved to have gotten into bikes at an early age. I have only been riding for a year and a bit. In the UK you can ride a bike at 17 it just has to be restricted to 33bhp, or if you are 21 you can do a direct access course and ride any size bike once you have passed the test (That’s what I did).

I used to get hassled by police when ever they spotted me pushing my yamaha back from the dirt track when younger wasn't riding it just pushing it but i was 13 at the time :D

Think you will find you do need lights and indicators because you need A MOT certificate of road worthiness in the UK. If you want to survive out there start off small treat every other road user like they mean to kill you and get experience and have fun:)

Billy-Sonic Haggis Flickr-Fun

I used to get hassled by police when ever they spotted me pushing my yamaha back from the dirt track when younger wasn't riding it just pushing it but i was 13 at the time :D

Think you will find you do need lights and indicators because you need A MOT certificate of road worthiness in the UK. If you want to survive out there start off small treat every other road user like they mean to kill you and get experience and have fun:)

I had to road register my bike, as it was a race only bike never been on the road when I took it too the MOT station, it had a front and rear light and a brake light operated by the front and rear brake and that was it. No speedometer, no indicators, no stand, and it still passed. If you read the rules and trust me I was feed up of reading them, then you will see you don't need them to pass the MOT. On the other hand, if you want to get it road registered as an enduro the seat has to be above a certain height and above a certain ground clearance;)

Suzuki SV650s

Heck yes. for the most part, It really is a good starter bike. It can be easily lowered if the person is shorter than say 5'4". Used ones are pretty inexpensive and parts are readily available.

Chances are you WILL tip the bike over a time or 2 so don't get something expensive. They're tough. Put frame sliders on it and call it good.

Plus it makes a great track bike. I wish I still had this bike. It is one of the easier bikes to ride fast or slow, plus it's super easy to work on. Upgrading forks to gixxer forks and adding a ZX10r rear shock makes the bike handle like a dream.

Here's a picture from my first ever track day. 2003 SV650S

... woops, forgot to hit upload...
My grammar sometimes resembles that of magnetic refrigerator poetry... Ghetto