shah269

San Diego on Sundays?

Looks like I'll be there in a few weeks. Flying in on Sunday for a Monday meeting. I'm sadly not allowed to go into Mexico. Any suggestions of a good place to eat maybe a nice place to hang out?
Thanks in advance
Life through good thoughts, good words, and good deeds is necessary to ensure happiness and to keep chaos at bay.

The only thing that falls from the sky is birdshit and fools!

Ah....I forgot to say I'll be there next month. The third week of Feb.
Thanks!
Life through good thoughts, good words, and good deeds is necessary to ensure happiness and to keep chaos at bay.

Looks like I'll be there in a few weeks. Flying in on Sunday for a Monday meeting. I'm sadly not allowed to go into Mexico. Any suggestions of a good place to eat maybe a nice place to hang out?
Thanks in advance

You like Bar b que? we got a great place downtown, (gotta wait for my wife to get here to tell me the name) Plus of course , Teh Otay DZ, great freindly people out there!

I'm reading that as your company is forbiding you from leaving the US because you're traveling for work?
Because of safety issues??

Yes. Due to safety no can go to Mexico. [:/]
So we will be staying at some fancy location which from the looks of it isn't going to be much fun.

Any recommendations as to places to eat dinner would be greatly appreciated.

I'm sadly not allowed to go into Mexico.

So they still haven't gotten over that little incident that happened last time, eh?[:/]
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

So we will be staying at some fancy location which from the looks of it isn't going to be much fun.

I stayed at Paradise Point Resort & Spa and the restaurant rocked for dinner.

Also, we walked around the Gas Lamp District and found some really awesome "local" (not chain) type restaurants.

http://www.gaslamp.org/directory/dining.html
Always be kinder than you feel.

I'm reading that as your company is forbiding you from leaving the US because you're traveling for work?
Because of safety issues??

Any recommendations as to places to eat dinner would be greatly appreciated.

got more of a location?

Seaport Village?
the Bay?
Coranado?
La Jolla?
My wife will know places in all of them!

Thank you thank you thank you.
And my employer is just trying to keep us safe.
I use to go to Arizona all the time and have dinner in Mexico but there was a bit of a crime problem so they asked us not to go anymore. [:/]

Thank you thank you thank you.
And my employer is just trying to keep us safe.
I use to go to Arizona all the time and have dinner in Mexico but there was a bit of a crime problem so they asked us not to go anymore. [:/]

I would stay the fuck out of Mexico, especially along the border with the USA. It's mostly over-run by the drug cartels, the worst scum-bags on earth. If I wanted to go to Mexico, I'd rather go south, or like the Yucatan peninsula where the ancestral Mayan grounds are. The people there are for the most part decent, but it's way out of the way for you... But I would only fly there or take a cruise. No way am I driving through.
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

what kind of dinner do you think you will want? Italian, greek, sushi, all you can eat brazilian bbq??? just let me know and i have great suggestions...let me know how much you want to spend too

Let me ask my team and I'll get back to you tomorrow.

Do you have a car?

If you have a car, I'd say head up to Stone Brewing in Escondido. nice food, and AMAZING beer. I can't repeat that enough.

AMAZING.

Did you know that San Diego county is home to over 30 craft breweries? This is a beer town, and one of the best in the country. I say Stone because it has a restaurant and it's open on sundays, but if you have time, go on a "beer tour". Most of the breweries offer tasters for cheap (some free!). And it works like a winery, you taste the beers in "order", usually from light and hoppy to dark and sweet. AleSmith, Port/Lost Abbey, Green Flash, and Stone are some of the big ones.

This is my new favorite thing to do with folks who visit from out of town (especially if they've already done the zoo/seaworld/wild animal park thing).

Anyway, just a suggestion if you are a lover of fine beers like I am :P

Never meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!

thank you thank you thank you!
I greatly appreciate it!
I'll pass this by my team!
again thank you.

Best Mexican food - Fidel's in Solana Beach (about 20 minutes)
Funnest place - Stone Brewing in Escondido (about 40 minutes)
Best beer places - Toronado and Blind Lady, North Park (near downtown)
Good fancy food places - Indigo Grill, Kemosabe, Wine Sellar
Best view - Sealevel restaurant/bar (right next to the airport)
Fun places to walk around - Old Town, downtown Pacific Beach (surfer hangout)

Bill i will be staying at the manchester grand hyatt in mid march. Where is it in relation to those areas you listed? I def. want to stroll around and sample some local brews while i am there.:)

Never look down on someone, unless they are going down on you.

>manchester grand hyatt in mid march. Where is it in relation to those
>areas you listed?

That hotel is very close to downtown on the water (nice hotel BTW.)

Sealevel (or C level I think it's really called) is a few miles away; short taxi ride or trolley ride + walk away. Oggi's pizza+brewery is just a little further. Decent beer, good pizza. Toronado and Blind Lady are 4-5 miles away. Toronado is just a bar but has a great local selection. Blind Lady is the same, but they are putting in fermenters as we speak.

Karl Strauss, Rock Bottom and the Yardhouse are all a few blocks from you; they are a little bit more of a chain. Yardhouse is a bar only but has a huge selection (100+ beers on tap or something like that.)

A bit of traveling by train will get you to Pizza Port which is the "parent" of Lost Abbey and always has great beer. They brew about half of what they sell; the rest is always interesting. The Coaster train leaves a few blocks from your hotel and stops right across the street from both Pizza Port Solana Beach and Pizza Port Carlsbad. If you go to the Carlsbad location there's a bottle shop right there that has some great stuff. Plus which of course you don't have to drive to get there.

Lost Abbey (amazing beers, hole in the wall) and Stone (getting very famous both for food and beer) are both worth visiting but will be either a bit of a drive (30 minutes) or a train to a trolley plus a walk that will probably take you 90 minutes.

Some good local (i.e. Socal) breweries if you see them in local bars:

Alesmith
Lightning
Oceanside Ale Works
Lost Abbey
Stone (but you can get that anywhere now)
Hangar 24
Firestone Walker
Ballast Point
Port Brewing
Bruery

awesome! Thanks. I will be in convention meetings wed-fri till 5 then sat i am free till i fly out that evening. I plan on hitting up several of these places in the evenings.:)

Never look down on someone, unless they are going down on you.