ifall

NEVER wash a Pizza Stone!!!

With soap!!! I thought this was common knowledge that everyone knew. Well apparently, my roommate did not!!! I unknowingly cooked a pizza on mine last night and only got half way through it when the taste really hit me and I figured out what it was!>:(

Anyone done this before and gotten the soap out. I soaked it overnight in warm CLEAN water but haven't tried it yet. Wondering if I should season it with olive oil and bake it for about 30 minutes. One google result said to try that. Just wanted to see if anyone has had any success. This was a Christmas gift and was only used twice. I broke my last one. I am so mad because I told him this with the old one when he put it in the dishwasher!!!:|

Don't season with olive oil; the soaking should have helped. Let it dry really, really well (you can help it by putting it in the oven at about 150) until it's completely dry. After it's completely dry, you can try burning stuff off it by turning the over up to 500 degrees or so (not the self-cleaning setting); that should carbonize whatever soap solids aren't dissolved.

If it still tastes soapy after all that, well, you can try goign through the cycle again, or just use it as a yard stepping stone and buy a new one.

Oh -- and keep it in your bedroom. Your roommate obviously isn't to be trusted.

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

Agreed 100% But I will also just add- I have some stonewear myself, including a pizza stone. I've got one piece I use a lot - normally I just scrape and wipe it down with a wet towel, but if it is greasy, I will wash it with soap. I also rinse it really well and nothing I have ever cooked on it tastes soapy. I don't like tasting soap in my food but there is no reason to keep tasting the same food you cooked 6 months ago either. Some people use pizza stones as an excuse not to wash dishes!

Its probably worse to use soap when the stone is still new and hasn't built up any seasoning. The thing is- there is a difference between seasoning and crud. You should be able to bake cookies on the same stone you cook your pizza on, without the cookies tasting like pizza or vice versa.

Thanks everybody! I won't put any olive oil on it. I thought that sounded like bad advise when I read it too but had to ask.

I usually just wipe mine off too but it's not an excuse to not wash dishes.:D

Wendy, I think I'm going to try burning it off like you said. I think I'm going to soak it and let it completely dry a couple more times though.

Luckily for me that roommate moved out a week ago right after he washed it. We usually would just do all the dishes that were there no matter who's they were instead of letting the dishes build up in the dishwasher so I'm sure he was just trying to be nice. I'll keep an eye on it when I cook it at 500 because the last one broke by leaving it on the stove top when one burner was still hot!

Thanks again!

Agreed 100% But I will also just add- I have some stonewear myself, including a pizza stone. I've got one piece I use a lot - normally I just scrape and wipe it down with a wet towel, but if it is greasy, I will wash it with soap. I also rinse it really well and nothing I have ever cooked on it tastes soapy. I don't like tasting soap in my food but there is no reason to keep tasting the same food you cooked 6 months ago either. Some people use pizza stones as an excuse not to wash dishes!

The dishwasher works too because it has a caustic cleaning agent, no residue will be left.

Agreed just wipe it off, I am still trying to get my cast iron pans back to where they were after 15 years of use.

My wife left them in the sink with water in them, overnight.:|

Also do not keep your cast iron pans in the oven because methane produces water vapor, that along with the heat will cause condensation and rust.

Agreed 100%

Agreed just wipe it off, I am still trying to get my cast iron pans back to where they were after 15 years of use.

My wife left them in the sink with water in them, overnight.:|

ouch[:/] i feel your pain back when I was married i came home to find my fav cast iron skillet. in the dishwasher:o covered in rust. that was a doozy of a fight

i have on occasion been accused of pulling low . My response. Naw I wasn't low I'm just such a big guy I look closer than I really am .

I'll keep an eye on it when I cook it at 500 because the last one broke by leaving it on the stove top when one burner was still hot!

These won't break (well, maybe break your toe if you drop it).

http://www.amazon.com/Lodge-Pro-Logic-Pizza-Pan/dp/B0000E2V3X/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=home-garden&qid=1263433054&sr=8-1

Those would work very well, I use my cast iron pas for making pizza in, I just use olive oil and corn meal in the bottom.

Then I let the dough rise again in the pan, then add toppings and cook.

Never use uncooked sausage on your pizzas, it just makes them greasy.

Just crumble after removing from the casing and then lightly brown.

Pizza places cook raw sausage on your pizza because it is cheaper to do, and the sausage is inferior so they count on the grease to add to the taste.

My wife left them in the sink with water in them, overnight.

Sadly, germaphobic people can't grasp the proper seasoning of cast iron cookware......Never, ever, use soap.... It will destroy months of good seasoning.

Thanks everybody! I won't put any olive oil on it. I thought that sounded like bad advise when I read it too but had to ask.

I usually just wipe mine off too but it's not an excuse to not wash dishes.:D

Wendy, I think I'm going to try burning it off like you said. I think I'm going to soak it and let it completely dry a couple more times though.

Luckily for me that roommate moved out a week ago right after he washed it. We usually would just do all the dishes that were there no matter who's they were instead of letting the dishes build up in the dishwasher so I'm sure he was just trying to be nice. I'll keep an eye on it when I cook it at 500 because the last one broke by leaving it on the stove top when one burner was still hot!

Thanks again!

Mike, feel free to make me some homemade pizza to test it out again!!!
Kim Mills
USPA D21696
Tandem I, AFF I and Static Line I

My wife left them in the sink with water in them, overnight.

Sadly, germaphobic people can't grasp the proper seasoning of cast iron cookware......Never, ever, use soap.... It will destroy months of good seasoning.

Cast iron and stoneware are two different things. Honestly, if you are only using your pizza stone for pizza, I don't think you should ever have to do more than wipe it down to clean it. But if you use your stonewear for cooking other things, they can get pretty gross. The grease can pile up and soak in. (of course, that's why soap can be a problem also..........)

My friends had one they were so proud of, can't begin to tell you how bad it stunk.

They are so porous they soak up everything.

Throw that cheap fucker in the garbage and get a flat cast iron griddle.

Preheat it in a 500 degree oven, cook for 4-5 minutes, use cornmeal or parchment paper assuming you make your own pizza.

And if you do a search on here we contributed a lot of pizza recipes over the years.
“The only fool bigger than the person who knows it all is the person who argues with him.

Stanislaw Jerzy Lec quotes (Polish writer, poet and satirist 1906-1966)

We have about half a dozen pieces of unglazed stone ware; cookie sheets, pizza stones, roasting pans, pie pans. I don't know of the quality. Most came from Pampered Chef. We wash them with plain hot water and a scrub sponge. We've had no odor problem with any of them.

I agree about the cast iron. I love my skillets and dutch ovens. I don't need no stinkin' teflon.

We have about half a dozen pieces of unglazed stone ware; cookie sheets, pizza stones, roasting pans, pie pans. I don't know of the quality. Most came from Pampered Chef. We wash them with plain hot water and a scrub sponge. We've had no odor problem with any of them.

I agree about the cast iron. I love my skillets and dutch ovens. I don't need no stinkin' teflon.

The pizza stones I've seen had a course, almost chalky consistency, hence my referring to them as cheap fuckers.

Stoneware from the Pampered Chef on the other hand...
“The only fool bigger than the person who knows it all is the person who argues with him.

Stanislaw Jerzy Lec quotes (Polish writer, poet and satirist 1906-1966)