Ketia0

Can it be fixed?

I have a 2002 Ford Explorer XLS. It is a 5 speed standard transmission. Unlike most other transmissions it has a 26 spline clutch plate and flywheel.. The history behind it is from what I understand

Ford decided in 2002 to do an experiment to go from single mast to dual mast flywheel, and have a 26 spline in it. They only made 1000 of these. and then quit supposting them! :S I cant find a flywheel or clutch assembly anywhere! [:/]

Have any of you run into this or have an idea on what I can do. From what I understand you cant even swap out the transmissions because it doesnt bolt of the same. >:([:/]:(

Thank you for any help
"In this game you can't predict the future. You just have to play the odds. "-JohnMitchell

Im trying to find someone that can machine a dual mast flywheel like this one.

and it cant be interchanged with 23 spline.

The whole transmission case is different. :(

"In this game you can't predict the future. You just have to play the odds. "-JohnMitchell

Anything can be fixed. Just a matter of how much money you have

I have a friend who says there are no problems. Only expenses (you can pay your way out) and inconveniences (you can't).

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

Im trying to find someone that can machine a dual mast flywheel like this one.
and it cant be interchanged with 23 spline.
The whole transmission case is different. :(

Why the hell would you build a one-off part for something like this?

Without knowing anything, my guess is that you could swap out the transmission and be done with it forever for less money than the cost of making a one-off part.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

Nope. it has a special bolt pattern for the engine. So it has to have the 26 spline tranny hooked up to it. These vehicles ( the 1000 26 spline) were made so that they couldnt be interchanged with the 23 spline...

Stupid Ford>:(

Have a custom clutch disk made using the existing center from the old one. I had to do that with my 70' Cuda as I had a Hemi 4 speed which had a diffenent spline and I wanted different material for the disk . I went to a local place http://www.ottsfrictionsupply.com/ but there should be something like that around you. As far as the flywheel you should be able to find an after market one or just have one made by a machine shop.
Kirk
He's dead Jim

I called them.. they are going to see if it is in stock.. but he gave me aquote for 946.30 + shipping for the flywheel and clutch assembly. [:/]

But if i can get it back running, i may take johns advice and get rid of her.. she is nice though. [:/]

Without knowing anything, my guess is that you could swap out the transmission and be done with it forever for less money than the cost of making a one-off part.

This is the best truest answer unless you are a garage monkey. You don't need a new fly wheel just have yours turned ( milled ) by an Automotive machine shop.

Junk yard, for the other fly wheel and trany. Or buy the flywheel and change the input shaft on the trany.
I'm not a ford guy, so check with one to see if its possible.

Oh yeah and car manufacturers are always doing crap like this.
U only make 2 jumps: the first one for some weird reason and the last one that you lived through. The rest are just filler.
scr 316

Information

what engine is the explorer?

I have never heard of what you are talking about...but then again I really know nothing in the vast vast world of automobiles.

I can however say that the likelyhood of Ford tooling a plant to produce a engine block specificly for one transmission is highly unlikely. not freaking likely at all. A block for a 2002 4.0l is the same as a block from a 1996 4.0l

Information...you need correct information.....dont listen to your friend billy bob who's sisters boyfriend told you about a torqued out spindle rotor causing the gypsum sadle to well.......[:/]

And what is the problem?...do you need a new clutch? a new transmission? spindle rotor?

Edited to add: hell...whats the vehicle information? VIN, milage, engine, (5 speed?) and I will research it for you tomorrow at work if I get a chance.

From what I understand from the transmission shop is that the engine bolt up for the trany is different. I asked him about the input shaft, and he said it couldnt be changed out due to how the housing is. Even the slave cylinder is completely different. I think it would be REALLY hard and almost impossible to find a 26 spline tansmission in a junk yard... Since they only made 1000 of them. The clutch is completely wore out. and the flywheel is kinda messed up to. Two places said it couldnt be machined because it is dual mass. Im not a big car guru, so i said ok. It is a 4.0 v6 xls explorer. VIN: IFMZU62E32ZB67826.. I dont know if the first letter is a one, i or L.. is a straight line. im assuming it might be I.

But if i can get it back running, i may take johns advice and get rid of her.. she is nice though. [:/]

It's a 8 year old Ford!! How nice could it be??? ...sorry ;)

Just under 1000 bucks isn't that bad if you consider what new cars go for. Post the information and I'll have my Auto Mech students do some research tomorrow. B|
Birdshit & Fools Productions

"Son, only two things fall from the sky."

Its a 1.... 1st digit of a VIN is for country where assembled, 1 is the US, 2 Canada, J Japan...

only the last 6 digits are numbering the vehicle all others represent something.... 10th digit is the year of manufacture for another example

She looks nice. lol.:P. I posted the info 2 posts up. I have heard nothing but good things about the 4.0 engine. and she runs good. Its just this clutch issue now. [:/]

I was quite busy at work today so didnt get to pursue your problem...but I did have a junior back parts person do some checking...we and all of our aftermarket suppliers only list one clutch and pressure plate kit...no questions asked for model or spline count.....

I also had her call the dealer and investigate....told the top dealer parts guy that it was a US vehicle, gave serial number...he said he only listed one set too....

Our price on a kit was just shy of $400...Dealer was $625ish for the kit....flywheel was something stoopid like $1400 :o

I hope you have called a local dealer youself and got prices and INFORMATION....the tranny shop you are dealing with may be correct but making some calls never hurts.

I really question why a flywheel needs replacement...over 20 years in the trade and maybe have replaced 2 flywheels...

Fool...what did your students come up with?