saucy_dee

Are there more scammers or is it me?

Are there more scammers lately or is it me?

I have a container for sale on the classifieds yet I have people saying they want to buy it that just vanish off the face of the earth. We then had one last week who said he was buying it, sent a check to my father in law (as we are out of the country with the rig). Father in law deposited it at the bank and they told him it was a fake. The amount was way above the amount it should be but he didn't know that, we just told him to expect a check. Of course, then this 'buyer' was asking for a refund via western union. WE kept asking for his address to send a check to (we already knew he was a fraudster) and said he should hear from Fedex's fraud department and the police soon. Suffice to say we haven't heard from him since!

FYI - his email address was [email protected] and his dropzone.com username was parachutes65

We have also emailed dropzone.com to let them know!

Unfortunately these people mess it up for the rest of us as we are less likely to send a rig somewhere without receiving full payment for it in advance!

Don't put off 'till tomorrow what you can do today

I now have another guy who has replied and he's account lists him as from Leeds, UK yet he want's to buy it for his son in Australia yet he says he can pay by Money order or check (note the US spelling) and the address he asks for Zipcode rather than postcode.

Something just smells fishy with this one too...

Gone are the days of selling used kit easily on here it seems...

Unfortunately there are several scams which regularly appear.

Over paying and asking for a refund is an often used trick.

I received three emails from the same guy asking the same questions - it was obvious that they were just cutting and pasting text and sending it to everyone who had an advert.

Typical things to beware of are people asking about your 'item' rather than the specific rig / canopy etc that you have advertised.

Also if someone says that there has been an error and the cheque has been raised for two much money and could you bank the cheque and send the balance on to the buyer then this is a total scam.

Several weeks later the cheque bounces and the bank 'asks' you to repay the total amount and the scammer now has your cash !!!

I guess it all comes down to trying to do your homework.

I have sent a $4000 rig to someone before and in fairness people have sent me goods on trust but these days you have to be much more careful !!! [:/]

The last rig I sold was to a guy in Brazil. He had me send it to a dz in Florida where he was known and I was able to confirm who he was. They then sent it to him in Brazil. I gave him references to check me out. His check came before I sent the rig. If at all possible, do the transaction through a dz. If anyone claiming to be a jumper refuse to supply a reference, walk away.
"...And once you're gone, you can't come back
When you're out of the blue and into the black."
Neil Young

Me and hubby both used to work at Sebastian but we're now out in the UAE and were working at the DZ here. He's a rigger and I'm S&TA. Unfortunately we had a guy in the states last week that didn't want it cos we couldn't send it halfway across the world for him without payment first.

Once *almost* bitten, twice shy... :S

I like this reply that a friend sent to a Craigslist Scammer!

Fun with craigslist scammers: Im trying to sell a cell phone on craigslist. Here is the email I receved from a scammer.

My client is interested in this item ,his will to buy it if available .his mode of payment is check ,he will forward the check to you for you to cash .the shipping of the item will be taking care by him so you don't need to worry about that .he will send his shipping company agent to you for the packaging of the item.please kindly send the following informations to me full name house addresszipcode phone numberthis informations is to help forward the check to you and to also help the shipping company locate you .please note ,it is after you have cash the check that the shipping company will come for the item.please i need a prompt response.thanks

Here is my polite response:

Certainly many thanks for the reply my address is: Mr. How Fucking Stupid Do you Think I Am666 Fuck off Road Your a dirty fucking scammer 99999, F-U state

Absolutely! I would love you to send me a fake check that will be refused by every banking agency in the world. And I would also like to send you all my personal information as well. Should I just send you my credit card number? Will that make it easier for you to rip me off? If I can help you in anyway to screw me out of money please let me know. OOHHH!!! I have an idea let me give you the credit card numbers for all my friends and family as well. Will that be good for you? Better yet I could just give you my bank account number and address for it. That way you could just go there and take it right out. My preferred method of receiving my payment would be for you to come and meet me. I will have the 'item' taped to the end of a baseball bat. I will then make the exchange to your face. Is this an acceptable form of exchange? And I almost forgot, "Please I need a prompt response." Thanks