cave_nate

Picking out a used Novice rig

Hey ya all,

So got done with the AFP last weekend (whoopee) and starting to think about a used rig. Talked with a JM at the dz and the gear store at the dz, but I get the sneaky impression that they rather sell me a new rig and sort of po po the used ones. So I’m seeking a second opinion. It is nice at the dz you can try out all sorts of new gear, and I plan on doing that. But chances are they won’t have “rig X” to try out that I see some one looking to sell for a decent price. Figure if I can get a rig for a good price (lets say under $2k) and take it to the rigger at the dz to look over, I’d be fairly well off with a good safe rig and my pocket won’t be so light :- )

What are some good used rigs to look for a novice. Got 11 jumps mostly on PD 200 navigator with a student container. I weigh 135 #. Talking with folks the sabers (I, II) seem to be regarded as a good stating canopy. What are some other canopies / rigs to consider. There is so much out there . as a newbie trying to figure out what canopy, rig is good is a big task all in it’s own. the more input the better…

Thanks in advance!!

-Nate

You may find this article helpful.

Talk to the people at the gear store (Square 3, right?) again. Tell them you've considered the new gear option but have decided to buy used gear. I'm sure Mary would be glad to sell you a used rig if they have something that might work for you.

The advantage of buying from the local gear store instead of long distance is you'll be dealing with people at the dz you jump at - nice should you have an issue or problem with whatever you buy and nice because you won't have to pay for shipping if there's something on the shelf there. Buying through the local gear store also keeps your money working locally. And Square 3 offers a solid guarantee on their used equipment so your purchase is relatively risk free.

You'll be hard pressed to find quality modern used gear (with an AAD) for under 2K. Unless someone is desparate for cash or has money to burn and just bought new gear.

The price range for something modern and in good condition with a cypres is $3k to $4k.

Once in a while those smokin' deals come along, but they are far and few between.

There are rigs out there in the price range you mentioned, but chances are there will be maintenance due.

Just my two cents.

As far as good used gear, there are many good options. Don't get stuck on one brand. Just look for appropriate sizing of canopies and container. Condition of gear. Then seek out advise on flight charactoristics of various canopies.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Peace and Blue Skies!
Bonnie ==>Gravity Gear!

I pieced together a rig for a little over $2K.

I bought an older container for $125 that I sent to Relative Workshop for a new harness and a few other mods $500.
The reserve was a Raven with 0 jumps (<10 years old) for $400.
A used Navigator main(< 250 jumps) for $575
and a used Cypres with 4+ years left for $450.
Total was just over $2K, but I have a reliable rig that will easily last me for years.

My husband & I went with used gear...I got lucky, my rig with less than 50 jumps & new Vigil was $2,000, hubby's rig with 150 jumps & new Cypress was $3,500.
After you have a chance to play with your own gear for awhile & maybe jump other people's gear you will have a much better idea about canopy & container size, colors & brand etc. Eventually you will probably want to downsize, at least your main canopy, THEN you go & order custom gear! Just my .02 worth. ;)

Old age ain't no place for sissies!