Gene03

Another automotive question

Replace the valve seals

Or don't.

What's happening is that when the car is shut off, oil puddles under the valve cover (the thing you just replaced the gasket on). At that age, the valve guide seals are probably junk. It's also possible that the valve guides themselves are worn. A small amount of oil leaks down the valve stems and ends up in each cylinder by the time you go to start it up. Big cloud of smoke.

It doesn't hurt anything (you will burn the plugs clean as long as the engine gets warmed up), doesn't use a lot of oil.

As long as you don't mind smoking out the yard (it helps control the mosquitos:P), on a car that old, it probably isn't worth it.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

hey Gene.remember that old 61 ford falcon i had when i started at para flite?it used a quart of oil everyday(bad rings)i looked like james bond goin down the road LOL personally i agree with what one of the other posters said here about oil being cheaper than any repair work.

Replace the valve seals

Exactly, this can be done by using a compressor and threading the end into the plug hole.

This will let you do the job without removing the heads, just don't let the pressure drop or you WILL be removing the heads

Naa..just gets a bit more noise!

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

Yes I do, do you remember the old blue Ford I had that I gave to Carters worker who didn't have a car?
“The only fool bigger than the person who knows it all is the person who argues with him.

Stanislaw Jerzy Lec quotes (Polish writer, poet and satirist 1906-1966)

Replace the valve seals

Or don't.

What's happening is that when the car is shut off, oil puddles under the valve cover (the thing you just replaced the gasket on). At that age, the valve guide seals are probably junk. It's also possible that the valve guides themselves are worn. A small amount of oil leaks down the valve stems and ends up in each cylinder by the time you go to start it up. Big cloud of smoke.

It doesn't hurt anything (you will burn the plugs clean as long as the engine gets warmed up), doesn't use a lot of oil.

As long as you don't mind smoking out the yard (it helps control the mosquitos:P), on a car that old, it probably isn't worth it.

Okay, just wanted to be sure. We are keeping this car until the bottom drops out. :D Just want to see how much farther we can take it before the engine gives out.... 207K miles and counting.... B|
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

A friend of mine has a dodge durango, not the best vehicle ever made by far.

it is a 1995 and it has 370K miles on it.

He replaced all the front end parts twice and axles 3x.

Transmission repair as well.

But it is actually pretty nice looking still, but the doors are starting to rust at the bottom insides.

He is not mechanically inclined but he knew enough to keep it tuned up and change the oil.