DrewEckhardt

Jury Duty

I learned a few things today.

Judges write bench warrants for people who don't show up. I would not want to be that guy.

The county court house is for more than small claims, barking dogs, and DUIs.

At least one such non-trivial trial is expected to last five or six days.

Thankfully that's less than the judge's last trial which went on for months although only 105 out of the 170 potential witnesses were called.

Both lawyers get 10 peremptory challenges which let them dismiss any one for any reason.

Neither disliked me enough to use one.

So today, Wednesday, Thursday, Monday (we get Friday off with the Judge), Tuesday, and maybe Wednesday I'm expecting to be at county court house serving as a jurist. I'll probably get my day job done in the evenings and weekend.

Hi Drew,
Some years ago, when I worked for ScurvyIrvin in SoCal, I got called for "Federal jury Duty" in LA!!! I walked in there downtown LA at the Fed Court House wearing my flipflops with the stow band for the big toe, raggy cutoffs, a pullup cord on a belt loop, my "BEST BLACK DEATH SKYDIVING T-SHIRT", my AIR TRASH hat with wings and pins and my coolest sunshades, carried a briefcase with some scareachutist and Skydiving rags to read to keep from getting bored and got bitched at for my atire!!! Said the guy,"The judges like for you to wear what you would wear to go to work!!" Like I'm some pencil pusher geek or office type not knowing that and I told him,"Like man, this "IS WHAT I WEAR WHEN I GO TO WORK!!!!!!" nuttin' but whuffo's for miles to see!!!! I didn't get picked for any jurys. (hint, hint) to the rest of you troops!!! Sure it's your and my civic duty but if they can't handle who I am then scewem'!!
SCR-2034, SCS-680

III%,
Deli-out

I learned a few things today.

Judges write bench warrants for people who don't show up. I would not want to be that guy.

Who told you that?

I saw it personally from the back of the court room.

Voir Dire stopped, the judge instructed the court clerk to do something along the lines of drawing up a bench warrant, and got on with the process.

While some judges may not waste their time, they're allowed to do that.

Unless the Call to duty is handed to you by a person Identified as working for the court, (supeona like) or they have NO PROOF you recieved anything in the mail!

Although the charges wouldn't stick, it could get inconvenient.

Other than that, show up, and tell them you are a perfect juror, you can tell a guilty person just by looking at them....your dismissed!

Tell the judge you find yourself sexually attracted to the prosecuting attorney. Curiously, this works whether the prosecuting attorney is male or female.
"For you see, an airplane is an airplane. A landing area is a landing area. But a dropzone... a dropzone is the people."