piisfish

does the name of the new Mac product bother you ?

You should have included one more possible option to your poll (for folks like me)
To me Apple is an evil cult so I don't give a shit what they name their products

:P

“The sum of intelligence on the planet is a constant; the population is growing.” - George Bernard Shaw
He who dies with the most toys, wins.....
dudeist skydiver # 19515
Buy quality and cry once!

I think it was the obvious choice - works well enough for me. 'iSlate' and 'iTablet' are ugly words by comparison, although I guess 'iTab' would have been ok. But sooner or later I think it'll benefit Apple to ditch the 'i' brand altogether, and start being a bit more adventurous.

I've been trying to think of an accent that would cause you to confuse 'iPod' with 'iPad', but I didn't come up with anything.

The name doesn't annoy me as much as the cult-like fanboys! The entire "Macs are the only computing device that is good and if you don't run only Apple devices then you are uneducated" thing is annoying to no end. Having worked professionally in the IT industry I know that there are advantages and disadvantages to every system on the market.

Although I thought the Newton was THE SHIT when it came out!
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

Although I thought the Newton was THE SHIT when it came out!

Amen! Just came out too early...
iPad: waiting for the 3rd generation, which will by then be the standard in laptop technology.

PS: Mac user since 1983, but always waiting for at least the 2nd generation of each product. Let others be the guinea pigs and wait for the fixes!

"For once you have tasted Absinthe you will walk the earth with your eyes turned towards the gutter, for there you have been and there you will long to return."

...always waiting for at least the 2nd generation of each product. Let others be the guinea pigs and wait for the fixes!

TRUE DAT. Plus the next generations are always cheaper :)
Gros bisou à toi et ta famille
scissors beat paper, paper beat rock, rock beat wingsuit - KarlM

Not really as I've never really liked Macs. They seem to be for the technologically ignorant.

Besides, what exactly is the ipad for? What hole does it plug, so to speak?

*runs*

Personally I can see never buying another lap-top. Have a desk-top at home and an ipad elsewhere. Really when I think about it there is not much I use my computor for outside the home that the pad won't do. A couple of things so like Frenchy says wait for the second or third gen.
I still like paper books.

I don't think paper books will ever be replaced by electronic wizmos for the simple fact that you can comfortably read a book in the bath.

Also pages and fingers just go so nicely together.
Dude #320
"Superstitious" is just a polite way of saying "incredibly fucking stupid".
DONK!

for me iPad is ok, a pad is not necessarily related to feminine intimate hygiene. Plus the name is close to iPod.

It has only WiFI and optionally 3G;
I'm going to wait for the WiMax iPad.:ph34r:

And it complements this product: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yqN6749QqtA
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

for me iPad is ok, a pad is not necessarily related to feminine intimate hygiene. Plus the name is close to iPod.

The people that complain about this fall into a couple of camps;

Hack wanna be comics. The same kind that find the word "titular" hilarious and think they finally have an "original" joke to tell. They don't.

The Haters. It really wouldn't matter what the product was named. It's an Apple product, they don't like Apple for some reason and think this will cause the people that do like Apple products grief. It's possible to make fun of ANY name.

Women that actually are so vain they really do think this product is about them. Get over it. Lots of words have multiple meanings and women have never "owned" the word "pad".

Combinations of all the previous.

I'm not saying it's a genius name, but it certainly falls within the naming conventions of their entire product line, which I actually think is fairly short and sweet.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

oleophobic???

Fear of margarine?

Hack wanna be comics. The same kind that find the word "titular" hilarious and think they finally have an "original" joke to tell. They don't.

Hey...
“The only fool bigger than the person who knows it all is the person who argues with him.

Stanislaw Jerzy Lec quotes (Polish writer, poet and satirist 1906-1966)

LMAO, but so true!

I didn't think anything about the name until this morning. When I read about the product yesterday, I thought it sounded really cool. Especially for us people over a certain age with bad eyes and fat fingers who don't want to deal with the tiny buttons and miniature screens on the iPhones and iTouch products. :D

I don't think paper books will ever be replaced by electronic wizmos for the simple fact that you can comfortably read a book in the bath.

I disagree. They will, just by people younger than me. I thought texting was dumb (still do) but am forced to accept that if I want to communicate with anyone under 30 I'll have to text them.

always waiting for at least the 2nd generation of each product. Let others be the guinea pigs and wait for the fixes!

+1, and yes, I will eventually get one. I could use one to keep my life organized, yet simplified, especially since my eyesight is not the best. As for the rest of the Apple products, many people who work heavily with graphics or who design (apparel design, in my case), have used or use MAC almost exclusively at work and at home, and that includes me. I have to admit, that Apple makes products that I enjoy using.

Regarding the original poster's question...
I cannot believe that people would care so much about the name. How ridiculous! There are real problems in this world to worry about, and the name of an Apple product is NOT one of them.

Also books are read via reflected light when reading, the "E" readers use luminous light, they have a more straining effect on the eyes
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?