TrophyHusband

if you can figure this one out, you are a computer god

i reformatted my hard drive and reinstalled windows xp on my desktop.

i now have no ethernet controller driver.

i did a lot reading through various internet forums and found several threads about this problem, and i should also note that "dell" is a common theme.

i went to the dell website and downloaded the driver i needed and transfered it to my desktop, but it still didn't work. according to the installation instructions, i need to type in a path in a black box when it pops up. problem is that i can't type anything into the black box. the curser just sits there blinking at me, and after about 10 seconds everything closes as if its done, but there's still no driver installed.

wtf?

"Your scrotum is quite nice" - Skymama
www.kjandmegan.com

can you load it through your CMD DOS type window or add it as a line in your configsys file???

Not s compooter god:ph34r::ph34r:

You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

i don't even know what the fuck that means.

under accessories there is the command prompt link click that and the black window comes up and you CAN type in it

alternatively open the configsys file i note pad and at the driver install in there
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

Whats your service tag?

Its a 7 digit alpha numeric number on the bottom of the computer.

ETA: Sorry, you're on a desktop, you can go into the BIOS utility (F2 I believe on boot at the dell screen) and it will have the service tag in the info screen.

And the quickset wont apply there, Ive yet to see it installed on a dell desktop.
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

Don't ask me why, but quite often, Dells don't want to work properly without the "Dell Quickset" utility installed.

HTH

The only function that the quickset actually does is enable the pretty easy access buttons, there is no relation to that software and the wired ethernet controller, the wireless would show as disabled (in some versions) but it wouldnt not allow the software to be installed for the card.
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly

Since you reinstalled windows, it may/likely is that the driver you require for that card is not on the sytem.
So...find the card brand/model number. Go to their website, and download the relevant driver.
If it's a motherboard-mount, then the drivers will be found on the CD/DVD that came with the motherboard, but you can also find that driver on the motherboard manufacturers website.
Since you obviously don't have that machine able to go online without a card, a library, friend with a laptop or desktop, and a thumbdrive should suffice.

Since you reinstalled windows, it may/likely is that the driver you require for that card is not on the sytem.
So...find the card brand/model number. Go to their website, and download the relevant driver.
If it's a motherboard-mount, then the drivers will be found on the CD/DVD that came with the motherboard, but you can also find that driver on the motherboard manufacturers website.
Since you obviously don't have that machine able to go online without a card, a library, friend with a laptop or desktop, and a thumbdrive should suffice.

he said in his 1st post that he has downloaded the driver already
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

- Is it possible that you don`t have good version of the driver, or driver for Vista which you are trying to install on XP? lots of manufacturers were pushing users to install Vista and they were not distributing XP drivers. you then have to find some other way for obtaining driver, but if you know which chip(set) it is, usually you could find one online.

- if it`s desktop computer, you can easily and for cheap replace LAN card, but if it`s laptop it is more difficult. with laptop you could install wireless (PCMCIA) card, or external LAN card...

but i bet it`s the driver version problem.

my2c
dudeist skydiver #42

Whats your service tag?

ETA: Sorry, you're on a desktop, you can go into the BIOS utility (F2 I believe on boot at the dell screen) and it will have the service tag in the info screen.

And the quickset wont apply there, Ive yet to see it installed on a dell desktop.

i went back into dell downloads and put in my service tag instead of model number and it gave me a completely different list of drivers. this worked. thank you.

www.kjandmegan.com

Whats your service tag?

i went back into dell downloads and put in my service tag instead of model number and it gave me a completely different list of drivers. this worked. thank you.

;)

Whats your service tag?

see, it was the drivers ;)
dudeist skydiver #42

i'm still ready to throw this fucking computer out the window. i can't get ie8 because some entry file is missing. i can't get itunes because i'm running service pack 1. i can't get service pack 3 because some file is corrupt. i'm trying to get service pack 2 right now. we'll see how that goes.

www.kjandmegan.com