jasonRose

Speeding Ticket Advice

I just received a $247 speeding ticket, allegedly I was going 50mph in a 25mph zone. Has anyone out there hired a traffic attorney to beat a ticket? Any success?? Any advice besides not speeding of course...

For those of you that are getting ready to lecture me about breaking the law by speeding..... Well maybe you should view Martha Stewart's website instead of cruising a skydive forum...:P
Some day I will have the best staff in the world!!!

thee lawyers either get rid of it if they have something to get rid of it with (evidence of some sort) or get a plea deal, or you can do a trial by written declaration in some states, in cali its very advisable...do the TBWD, if your case doesnt get thrown out then w/in 10 days request a re-trial (yes you can) and then do another TBWD...at this point 8months later the cop probably wont show up.
IHYD

Usually you have a few choices, pay it and it will affect your insurance in most cases, or take it to court. Some states will allow you to talk to the prosecutor and most of the time (depending on you record) they will reduce a first time ticket to a non moving violation such as headlights being out or in my case the bumper being too tall. Some of the time you have to resort to getting an attorney. I would definately not just pay it if you don't want your insurance to go up!

at this point 8months later the cop probably wont show up.

Depends and not likely. Cops are paid overtime to show up if its on a day they're not working. If they don't show up, its a big deal and they get in trouble.

So sure, you can hope the cop doesn't show up and be proven wrong or you can just see what options the court has for you. Maybe there's a deferred option or the chance to take a driver's safety course?
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

I get tickets quite a bit. Hire a traffic attorney. It's what they do for a living. They'll give you a quote that'll cost a lot or a little depending on the county you got your ticket in.

Some counties are easy to get out of tickets, some are harder. If it's a hard county where it'd cost a lot opt for traffic school instead. In easy counties, use the lawyer and save your traffic school options for later.

As Dave said, it's a common myth that "the cop probably won't show up"; they almost always do. It is probably worth going to court, not to try to actually fight it (because you'll probably lose if you take it to trial), but because the cop and/or DA might be willing (if you're humble) to let you plead to a lesser offense with no or fewer points - which does affect your insurance rates.

The insurance only goes up if they find out about it. It's been years since my last ticket, but my insurance never rechecked my driving record, and never found it. My rates stayed the same. B|

Maybe it's different in the US, but in the UK you're obligated to advise your insurers when you receive penalty points on your licence due to a motoring offence, and your asked about this upon renewal. Failure to declare could/would result in your insurance being rendered invalid.
And of course it'll go up :|
but what do I know

Depends and not likely. Cops are paid overtime to show up if its on a day they're not working. If they don't show up, its a big deal and they get in trouble.

So sure, you can hope the cop doesn't show up and be proven wrong or you can just see what options the court has for you. Maybe there's a deferred option or the chance to take a driver's safety course?

Unless you are in Chicago. Fought a ticket there. The judge called my name, I stood and said here. Then he said case dismissed and said have a nice day. :)

I just received a $247 speeding ticket, allegedly I was going 50mph in a 25mph zone. Has anyone out there hired a traffic attorney to beat a ticket? Any success?? Any advice besides not speeding of course...

For those of you that are getting ready to lecture me about breaking the law by speeding..... Well maybe you should view Martha Stewart's website instead of cruising a skydive forum...:P

Lawyers will almost always plead you down to no fine/no points if they're good. It'll cost you as much as the ticket, but you won't have your insurance rates go up. I recommend it.

I.e., worked for me, when I got nailed 21 over the limit in SC.

Second: Don't get nailed 21 over the limit in SC. Just saying. :)

Pay your fine and slow down. Trying to find a way out of the punishment just proves you don't get it.

Not trying to be harsh...but there it is.
I know it just wouldnt be right to kill all the stupid people that we meet..

But do you think it would be appropriate to just remove all of the warning labels and let nature take its course.

Pay your fine and slow down. Trying to find a way out of the punishment just proves you don't get it.

Not trying to be harsh...but there it is.

Incorrect, but thanks for playing.

I was 100% dead to rights wrong. In the end, I paid a fine and paid the attorney, and didn't get any points attached to my license. That to me was the biggest issue - I'm happy to pay the fine - if they use it to teach high school kids not to speed or whatever, awesome.

But had I received points, my insurance rates would have gone up. It was my first ticket since I was like, 22. How does that help me to have my insurance rates go up? It doesn't. So I paid the fine, and paid an attorney to make sure I didn't have any points. Insurance doesn't go up, and now I slow down.

Happy?

Minimum of 1000 to a lawyer, or 275 to the court, and higher insurance cost...your call!

Actually paid $400 all inclusive of lawyer, fine, and court costs. But that was in South Carolina. They apparently just got paper money there. ;)

Minimum of 1000 to a lawyer, or 275 to the court, and higher insurance cost...your call!

$80 for the attorney in Orlando Florida. Guaranteed no points.

So if your going to speed, so it in Florida!:D I'm in California, everything cost more, especially lawyers! (good oens anyway)

So if your going to speed, so it in Florida!:D I'm in California, everything cost more, especially lawyers! (good oens anyway)

Really varies by county in Florida. Broward county it's $70. Got a ticket in Citris county and it would've cost me $500 for the lawyer with no guarantee. So I used traffic school for that one.

But in a lot of places it's really become more of a business transaction. They give you a ticket for $200 and all they want is the money. If you get a lawyer and fight it, they'll plea down to an adjudication withheld with no effort and just fine you $200 + a small amount for court costs.

They get your money, you don't get points, the layers gets some bucks, everyone is happy. The lawyers run clinics and probably do the cases in mass bulk so they don't have to charge much to the clients. I'm sure the courts help with this since the more cases they can turn in an hour, the more money they make too.

Maybe it's different in the US, but in the UK you're obligated to advise your insurers when you receive penalty points on your licence due to a motoring offence, and your asked about this upon renewal.

Yes, it is very different here, thank goodness. We have a right against self incrimination, and are under no obligation to rat ourselves out to our insurance company. To their advantage, you will probably stay with that company until the ticket is gone from your record in about 3 years. If you were to switch companies, the new company will obviously check your driving record. I love your country, but I not a fan of some of your laws.:)

We have a right against self incrimination, and are under no obligation to rat ourselves out to our insurance company.

Admitting a prior conviction (if it occurs in court, or automatically should you simply pay the fine) is not self-incrimination - the conviction has already occurred. Anyhow, I don't know of any state laws in the US that automatically require that kind of self-reporting if you're not asked; although admittedly I haven't done a 52-jurisdiction search. However, if you're specifically asked that question, whether at policy application or at renewal, and you fail to answer truthfully, that might be grounds to invalidate your policy. In some states, it might also fall within their criminal insurance fraud statutes.

In the Netherlands, you're actually settling if you pay the fine. So there's no conviction. We seem to have a point system, but it's only for new drivers, and I have no idea how it really works. If it really works. Get into felony driving convictions, and your premiums do go up, but you have to seriously speed for that. Up to at least 30 kmph, it's an administrative misdemeanor, charged to your registration, not to you, and there is nothing for the insurer to even know.

I'm no saint, but the cruise control gets set 5kmph below the speed limit. And I don't drink when I know I'm driving. It's not worth it - my time is not that expensive.
Johan.
I am. I think.

Unless you are in Chicago. Fought a ticket there. The judge called my name, I stood and said here. Then he said case dismissed and said have a nice day. :)

Same goes for Houston, I got a ticket for running a stop sign in a mall parking lot of all places!!! I plead not guilty and showed up to trial along with at least 100 others on the same docket. Not only did the cop not show up for my case, but NONE of them showed up for other cases either. Cost to me, $0! :)
Why would anyone jump out of a perfectly good airplane? Cause the door was open!