Squeak

Kawasaki Zeds

I just brought home a friends Z1100 (circa early 80s) he is married with 2 kids and has neither the time, money or inclination to look after it and pay mantenance on it.
So I am going to sort it for him.
As it's an inline 4 cyl not a V Twin Guzzi, i have virtually no experience with it.
Anyone know of the common issues with the 80s Zeds?

Also in my Guzzi forks the oil is only there for lube, not damping. the Z1100 had wet for sliders so i need to adress the fork seals, does anyone know if they are similar to a Guzzi, (i.e. lube only), or are they oil dampened?
If oil dampened i need to sort them sooner than later.

Thanks for any constructive help.
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

Also in my Guzzi forks the oil is only there for lube, not damping. the Z1100 had wet for sliders so i need to adress the fork seals, does anyone know if they are similar to a Guzzi, (i.e. lube only), or are they oil dampened?

I am not familiar with Guzzi's.....but if not using oil for dampening....how do they work?

The kawi will use oil and shim valves for dampening.

I never rode a Zed, but about the same time Kawasaki had 900cc (I think that's what is was) 2-stroke street bike that was wicked fast. I slammed the throttle on one going up a freeway on-ramp and at about 5000 RPM it hit the power band and it was all I could do just to hang on. Seriously, I went across all four lanes of the freeway before I got it under control. One car in the wrong place would have ended it for me right then and there.

NickD :)

I never rode a Zed, but about the same time Kawasaki had 900cc (I think that's what is was) 2-stroke street bike that was wicked fast. I slammed the throttle on one going up a freeway on-ramp and at about 5000 RPM it hit the power band and it was I could do just to hang on. Seriously, I went across all four lanes of the freeway before I got it under control. One car in the wrong place would have ended it for me right then and there.

had to be a legendary Kawi Tripple.....typical 2 stroke..nice power..nice power...OH SHIT!!!

Yep, there was the S-3 400, the 500 and the legendary 750 tripples. The 750 was the fastest thing around until the Z1 900. Great bikes when they got wound up. Wwwwhaaaaaaaaaaa!!

The Zeds are bullet proof. You can get manuals online (DVD or CD) which will show you everything. I love mine. Very easy to work on.

Take the forks off (very easy to do) take just the forks in to have them rebuilt. If you don't know what your doing it will save you some time and headaches.

How many miles are on it?
Birdshit & Fools Productions

"Son, only two things fall from the sky."

I have a 1981 KZ1100B1 drag bike with a conversion rigid frame and 7 inch slick...capable of 9's/150mph in the quarter mile.

I also have a 1983 KZ1100GPz complete parts bike. (Once the world's fastest stock street bike)

If you need any torque specs or such before you get your books, PM me and I'll see what I can find for you.

"Now I've settled down,
in a quiet little town,
and forgot about everything"

I just finishe the restoration on this one last spring..... It's a shafty, but still an 1100 Kawi. They just never die. Drive em hard, they can take it.

Same bike, different tank and seat, but same motor and drive line
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

I never rode a Zed, but about the same time Kawasaki had 900cc (I think that's what is was) 2-stroke street bike that was wicked fast. I slammed the throttle on one going up a freeway on-ramp and at about 5000 RPM it hit the power band and it was I could do just to hang on. Seriously, I went across all four lanes of the freeway before I got it under control. One car in the wrong place would have ended it for me right then and there.

had to be a legendary Kawi Tripple.....typical 2 stroke..nice power..nice power...OH SHIT!!!

The Kaw Mach-3. Yep. Had a 500 back in 76 or 77 (traded a dirt bake for it, then traded it for a 400 Bultaco dirt bike). If you weren't ready for the power @ 5000 RPM to double, it was a frighteningly fast ride, made even more terrifying by it's marvelous handling & wonderful brakes.
When the only tool you have is a hammer, every problem looks like a nail.

You street guys will probably laugh; but I remember that same feeling on my Combat Wombat. It was a friends competition bike (very abused). I bought it from him for a couple hundred bucks and got it back in nice shape.

First time on it I wound out 1st gently, very cool. Wound out 2nd gently, again very cool. Hit 3rd and pegged the throttle and holy crap, the thing almost came over backward on me. Unbelievable power out of a 125. (This was before the Japanese bikes got quick).
" . . . the lust for power can be just as completely satisfied by suggesting people into loving their servitude as by flogging them and kicking them into obedience." -- Aldous Huxley

You street guys will probably laugh; but I remember that same feeling on my Combat Wombat. It was a friends competition bike (very abused). I bought it from him for a couple hundred bucks and got it back in nice shape.

First time on it I wound out 1st gently, very cool. Wound out 2nd gently, again very cool. Hit 3rd and pegged the throttle and holy crap, the thing almost came over backward on me. Unbelievable power out of a 125. (This was before the Japanese bikes got quick).

I have owned and built Many Hodaka's back in the day, Very Unique gear boxes...Ball bearing shifted! No shifter forks! Plus back then,(early 70's) you coudl buy a new motor cheaper than rebuild most bikes!