ridestrong

I'm better than you because I don't watch TV.

Got a soft spot for Real World; made a lot of money off those guys.

How so?

I was 10 years old when the first season aired and I watched religiously up until a few years ago. It was an AWESOME show, imo--especially from a sociological (and psychological) perspective.

Real World was one of only three reality shows I used to watch (in addition to Top Chef and Survivor). Once I was the same age (early 20s) as the castmates, the show became monotonous. I, too, however have a "soft spot" for the show for many reasons, but that is another topic...
Paint me in a corner, but my color comes back.

Why do some people feel the need to tell everyone that they don't watch tv?

We have not really watched much TV (one DVR'd show a week)) in the last couple years, though we do typically watch a movie or two/week and recently did the Dexter series on DVD.

While I never was a so-called "big TV watcher", as someone who has been on both sides of the fence I have both been annoyed at the person you described, and been the person annoyed at the water-cooler talk of boring American Idol stuff (in the interest of full disclosure, I_did_watch the first season of American Idol).

In the instances I have been annoyed at the non-TV watcher, it was because the person came across very "two-shoes" to me, and I simply cannot relate to that. I like to let my hair down and be playful, I sometimes take way too long to finish a book, and other times I would rather sleep-in than get up and workout. Goody-goody people and I are like oil and water. We have a good friend who fits this scenario and I often find him irritating, even though he is a really nice guy. In my experience, those who profess with vigor they do_not_watch television fit the "two-shoe" type that I am not interested in.

Not everyone who does not watch TV, however, is that way--not even most. When I suddenly found myself a very little-to-no -TV-program watcher I was shocked. It was not a choice, just something that naturally happened ,and I do not miss it. Furthermore, it is sometimes necessary to say so in conversation and save yourself the nodding and smiling to be polite to the person that obviously enjoyed their primetime programming the night before. :P

They paid us (Skydiving Innovations) a lot of money to go down to Cabo and take them in (via tandem) to a local beach for the beginning of the road rules vs. real world competition. It was a memorable week.

I saw that! :D

If I remember correctly, that must have been about 10 years ago...I remember watching that mid-AFF (I started AFF in July of 2000). :)

That was probably it, then. We were originally going to go down mid-September 2001 to do the jumps, but 9/11 came along and grounded everyone. We went down a few months later to do the jump. It was two days of very hard work, but on the plus side, we got to skydive over a beach in Cabo.

We left right before the hurricane hit. I felt really bad for the producer - stuck with some very high maintenance people in a hotel with no power and no roads out.

While I am sure I saw it, I might be thinking of something different as it seems you did the filming a year later than I finished AFF.

But, I remember the challenge when all the castmates were "dropped off" on location via tandem skydive--actually now that I type that--maybe it was not during AFF I saw that, as now I remember thinking (as most excited new skydivers probably would) if they would have let me jump by myself, instead. :$:D:P

I do not care what anyone says, Real World (and later--The Challenges)_were_AWESOME. I stand by them. B|

Sometimes I need to remind my sister that I don't watch as much TV as she does when she goes on and on about some show that I never watch. I adore my sister but when she gets on a roll about one of her favorite shows, it can be hard to take. I'm just trying to get her to change the subject, not saying I am better than her.

I used to watch a lot more, but the writers strike a couple of years back really helped me get out of that habit. There are shows I watch and like when I am home but nothing I will rush home or stay home for. I gave up on trying to record shows a long time ago- I could never find the time to watch them!

Because some people stand in disbelief when they understand you have no idea what those "Raiders" and "Giants" they speak about are, except that it somehow related to sports.
* Don't pray for me if you wanna help - just send me a check. *

I don't know.... At some point, it became fashionable for us to sit on our asses mindlessly surfing the 'net, posting in Internet forums about how we no longer sit on our asses mindlessly watching TV. :ph34r:

I don't know.... At some point, it became fashionable for us to sit on our asses mindlessly surfing the 'net, posting in Internet forums about how we no longer sit on our asses mindlessly watching TV. :ph34r:

Is being smug about not watching TV any different than skydivers that think they are such a 'special' group and better/smarter/more XtReMe than others just because of a common hobby? :P

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

Because in the 1840's there was no television. When Karl Marx referred to the opiate of the masses... in his day.. it really was religion. Today that term applies to television...as well as religion. It is very good at distracting the feeble from what is occuring around them in the real world.

Go back to bed, America, your government has figured out how it all transpired.

Go back to bed America, your goverment is in control.

Here, here's American Gladiators.

Watch this, shut up, go back to bed America, here is American Gladiators, here is 56 channels of it!

Watch these pituitary retards bang their fucking skulls together and congratulate you on the living in the land of freedom.

Here you go America - you are free to do what well tell you!

You are free to do what we tell you!

~Bill Hicks

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

I used to just tell everyone I was better than them but then some wanted reasons. :o The nerve!!!

TV seemed like an easy target. :P

:P:P:P:P

Stupidity if left untreated is self-correcting
If ya can't be good, look good, if that fails, make 'em laugh.

I have not watched TV (other than at people's houses) since 1995......When people start taking about their TV shows I want to vomit......and when I tell people I do not watch TV, they almost don't know what to think of it.:D:D:D

"Some call it heavenly in it's brilliance,
others mean and rueful of the western dream"