billvon

Heads up to Socal people - rain

Deluge part 1 is over for now. Everyone report in. All good so far?

Raining again here in NorCal...heard some thunder too. ;)

Did it sound anything like this? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zvoeeq-BH4w

:D
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

I haven't even clicked that link,,but is it ACDC Thunderstuck:D:D:D:D
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

Was that '83? I remember that year - it was when Seal Beach Pier collapsed. Twas a doozy.

Things seem well here in Fresno.

The time I remember in Perris was around 1998 or so.

The flood at Elsinore that caused the DZ to move (twice) was in 1980.

See a little history here:
http://projectpi.skydiveworld.com/DZelsinr.htm

ltdiver

Was that 98? there was a worse flood there around 92 if I remember right, I saw hundreds of skydivers lose their shoes trying to walk in from the muddy swamps, I never landed in the water once, but most of our Students landed in the north field, which is higher, and I was filming them!

There was a flood at perris I believe in the 70's that many old timers talked about, they even shot video of carp swimming threw the Office!

I haven't even clicked that link,,but is it ACDC Thunderstuck:D:D:D:D

you know me too well. :D
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

Yeah...my pool is overflowing as well. I really don't mind the rain if I don't have to leave my house...it's the crazy fucks that are driving that I worry about.
"Love is doing small things with great love."

Lacrosse: Legally beating men with sticks since 1492

I filmed a Tornado right after landing at Perris one year,(storm rolled in before we landed, when we hit the ground it was pouring), first time I ever saw a white tornado, (no it wasn't a dust devil) I need to dig that video up, and convert it to digital!

4:13 near the Burbank airport - just started a good solid rain again after a couple hours of rainbow weather. The hills are now completely shrouded but I can still see some brightness in the sky (coming from the opposite side of the hotel as me so I can't see how much the sun is still poking out).

Speaking of rainbow weather just as I hit "post" the most SPECTACULAR double rainbow just popped out to the east of me. Holy moly! (Added a crappy cell phone quality photo).
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

California, where people think they are superior to everyone else, until it rains or snows or heavy traffic.

Or just about anything else, damn don't they realize it rains just about everywhere else?

We had people honking their horns and flipping us off while we were in a convoy because we had to pass them during a rain storm.
:S

California, where people think they are superior to everyone else, until it rains or snows or heavy traffic.

Or just about anything else, damn don't they realize it rains just about everywhere else?

We had people honking their horns and flipping us off while we were in a convoy because we had to pass them during a rain storm.
:S

What is this "anywhere else" you are talking about? :D

"The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you can never know if they are genuine" - Abraham Lincoln

Uh . . . you're going to bag on California for not suffering enough traffic?!? :S

When was the last time you visited southern California?
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

>>California, where people think they are superior to everyone else, until it rains or snows or heavy traffic.<<

They just announced mandatory evacuations beginning at 9AM tomorrow morning. This will involve about 500 homes in the La Canada, La Crescenta, and the Tujunga areas. All these places are right below the burn areas of the Station fire and the timing is in advance of tomorrow's storm. They haven't announced the exact addresses yet, so we don't know if it will involve us.

Warpedskydiver, I hope the certainty some families here are going to lose everything tomorrow will give you a good laugh . . .

NickD

>>California, where people think they are superior to everyone else, until it rains or snows or heavy traffic.<<

They just announced mandatory evacuations beginning at 9AM tomorrow morning. This will involve about 500 homes in the La Canada, La Crescenta, and the Tujunga areas. All these places are right below the burn areas of the Station fire and the timing is in advance of tomorrow's storm. They haven't announced the exact addresses yet, so we don't know if it will involve us.

Warpedskydiver, I hope the certainty some families here are going to lose everything tomorrow will give you a good laugh . . .

NickD

you safe Nick?

Hey Gypsy aren't you in one of those areas???
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

>>California, where people think they are superior to everyone else, until it rains or snows or heavy traffic.

NickD

Why would I laugh, my point was merely that some people will constantly panic.

I think you missed my point.

Hey guess what?

When people failed to evacuate in 1983 guess who got to go get them?

Yeah, that was a real hoot.[:/]

they send hundreds of us out there because some people would simply not listen.

Now I can understand the elderly or infirmed, but if you had enough time to watch TV you certainly had enough time to pack your bags and get out of low lying places or the base of slopes that had been burned.

This is CA, nothing new about mudslides, people should be well prepared.

I live next to an area that floods quite often, I see the same lax attitude to getting out or being prepared.

No one I've seen is panicking. What I do see are trees blowing over on top of cars (kinda hard to foresee), roofs being torn off (not terribly easy to foresee), and hard-baked soil due to drought that prevents the ground from absorbing an inordinate amount of rain. Saw a boat sink in the harbor at San Diego today too. Not sure how they could have foreseen that, exactly.

Sure, folks can run away. It's not the "getting out" that is the issue. It's what they might come back to not find.
Yeah, some folks in SoCal can't drive for shit. So what? That means they should enjoy property damage? :S