Calvin19

a jumper died today

I watched my best friend, my hero, die today.

he was a jumper, a pilot, a flyer.

I learned how to climb, nay, we taught ourselves how to climb together. we learned to jump, to fly, to dream together.

not shy of 20 years. my best friend.

we were 13, we saw a BASE jump on tv. we both said we would do that someday. five years later there we were.

at 15 we started rope jumping. I don't know what to do now. he was the other half of the team. he had my back.

we were 19 and 20, we bought an airplane together. we had plans to buy another one soon. now what.

we started paragliding together five years ago. I was an idiot and he held me while seizing on the side of a mountain, telling the medics to hurry. cause I was dying.

that was four years ago, today.

not 20meters from where he watched over me, I looked up to see him fall from the sky. his single engine rocketship in pieces, destroyed by negligent muppets in a cirrus minivan that blindsided the best pilot I knew. never saw it coming.

I ran down that mountain, knowing it was him, knowing what i did not know. there were no one else towing today. he texted me the reminder of my 4 year coma anniversary we had plans to do our usual paraglider/speed flight when he gets off early. but that was before he took off.

dont know what to do now.

The Best burn Brightest, but not always longest. Alex was one of the good ones.
I remember meeting you two standing on the Royal Gorge, with the biggest shit eating grins on your faces . Attached to those grins was a couple hundred feet of rope. After Troy asked me to climb under the bridge to inspect your rig........I climbed back over that railing impressed with Alex's and your rig. When I asked how long you guys had been parachuting........and Alex blurted out..... "That comes next!!".....I knew you two were............. the right kinda people.............. our kinda people.......
My deepest condolences..............I hope that in your time of sorrow that you know how many friends close by you have in the neighborhood. Don't hesitate to call.......
Jay Epstein Ramirez
www.adrenalineexploits.com

Ya know Hecker, when Dave called me last night to let me know my heart fell to the floor for you. Most of us that you remember from your early days of jumping have been through this before and know where you stand right now. Alex was truly one of the better ones, and I would say that it gets easier but we all know that's a lie. Hang in there...I'm still here for you if you need it. :(

"I don't know where it is that I'm going, but wherever it is there I'll be!" --quoted by me

I watched my best friend, my hero, die today.

When I got a new computer and needed to clear out the piles and piles of movies that I downloaded - the I kept about 10, of which half were you guy's rope jumping videos... They are special as they show your passion for adventure and life.

Secretly, I have admired your team's adventurous spirit and sometimes rebellious quest for the sky and flying for years and always check up on facebook to see what you and Alex have done. In fact, I would say, you are an inspiration.

When we went BASE jumping in Switzerland, you figured out a way to fly a wing off the exit points in a way no one else has, and I doubt other people will try. That is why your team's spirit is special.

I have cried a few tears since I was told yesterday of the incident... More than I normally do when I hear of someone I know passing on... I know half of them are for you... I knew a part of you died, a big part of you, yesterday... As Jay said, you have friends all over. Just make the call and we will be there...

My heart goes out to you. There are really no words. Heal well, think of the good times, and share his story/life with people so that he may live on through you.

Peace be with you.
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

Sorry about your loss. It leaves a big hole in your heart, doesn't it?

We all know it does, and it makes it even worse when it was preventable and due to someone else's carelessness. I could be wrong for pre-judging the events (and may owe someone an apology in the future once it's all hashed out), but I doubt it. I say this going partly on the presumption of trust in Calvin's perspective, and partly based on the fact that as soon as I heard the first report of it I immediately was reminded of so many similar situations I've personally known in the past, and innocent lives were lost due to someone else's arrogance and superiority complex in the air.
Roll Tide Roll

As someone who has lost a great many friends I can understand how you feel, it never gets easy.

Just relish the memories you have and go on living life to its fullest, you are living your dreams for both of you now.

Someday when you pass on the example you set forth through this and the rest of your days will show people how to live.

Be an example to be proud of.

I'm so sorry. The fact that he had already packed a whole lot of living into his time doesn't mean that it was time to finish.

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

just keep on trucking. I lost my best friend/husband 2 years ago. Not one day goes by when I dont think about him.

you need to read the book "Don't kiss them goodbye" by Alisson something...... I think it will make u feel better.
-----------------
I love and Miss you so much Honey!
Orfun #3 ~ Darla

new link for Alex and my Rope Jumping film
http://vimeo.com/9330103

To those who haven't seen it already I strongly recommend this film. It is a great watch and show's the work and adventure of some young, intelligent, innovative, and dedicated friends doing absolutely amazing feats. My description does it no justice however, you just need to watch it.
"If this post needs to be moderated I would prefer it to be completly removed and not edited and butchered into a disney movie" - DorkZone Hero