gale

New gear buying scam

I just wanted to let anyone who doesn't know about this scam because I'm selling my gear here and I got emailed by a scam artist.

Someone emailed me saying that their "client" wanted a set of gear and they were prepared to pay what I was asking right away and I should send my information.

I email back asking if there are questions or if they would like pictures, and I get back an email asking for my details again so they can send payment. Only this time they tell me that they will send more than I'm asking as long as I return the difference.

And therein lies the scam. Let's say I ask for $2500 but they send a cheque for $10,000. Honest me wants to return the difference, and I do. Well, ages later their cheque bounces, or their bank doesn't accept it, and I've lost my gear and $7500. There is also the possibility that the cheque will not bounce and they are just laundering money. (I might not be out any money, but I really don't want to be a part of that.)

So, watch out. Never accept more money that your item is worth.

(Oh, and foreign cheques can take a very long time to bounce, or a very long time for the bank to realize they are forgeries. Ask for bank drafts, they are much safer.)
I'm drowning...so come inside
Welcome to my...dirty mind

Ah, of course you are correct, but it may be new to some. If people insist on clicking on anything with Anna Kornakova's name on it and spreading viruses all over the Internet, then I'm guessing some people are going to fall for this.

I worked for a company that suffered some trouble because someone paid with a cashier's checque. (I assume this is the same as a bank draft.) Turns out, it was a passable forgery and the item was paid C.O.D..

And there are horror stories about checques that take the bank weeks to realize are bad - back in the day (which may still be today) the paper had to worm its way to the supposed issuing bank, who could decide it was NSF or entirely bogus.

And a good reason to avoid being caught up in money laundering is (in the United States) the IRS can be very keen to see someone owe triple the quantity laundered. Hope that ain't you. :(

-=-=-=-=-
Pull.

I collect Medal groups to the Royal Air Force & there are similar scams happening to them, I have twice been contacted about items I had for sale on Ebay to see if I would end the auction early & accept a cheque for far more than I want for the items

It is probably happening to just about any hobby goods or items with a large intrinsic value

Beware
Paul

Why even warn people anymore? If somebody is stupid enough to fall for it then they deserve to get taken. If it doesnt happen with that scam it will happen with some other scam...Gene pool is pretty shallow out there nowadays.:S

There's been a warning on the Classifieds page for quite some time.

Its in red letters and there for everyone to see. Not sure HH could do anymore than that.
"Where troubles melt like lemon drops, away above the chimney tops, that's where you'll find me" Dorothy

and this just in...
the feds have begun breaking up a counterfeit postal money order group. seems like they orginated out of the US and have been hitting ebay.

---Future Darwin Award recipient-

Funny thing, I didn't notice the warning until you said that.

Ah well...hopefully other people are more observent.

(And yes, I think telling HH what usernames are doing it is probably pretty pointless because they'll just make another one.

Got contacted by another scammer today. Man, those guys are everywhere.