BHawks

chopped my math class

Got rid of that thing like a bad canopy. Too much crap going on right now to effectively concentrate on a college algebra. I did that so I can concentrate on my two other classes.

Isn't that math required?
Please don't dent the planet.

Destinations by Roxanne

Got rid of that thing like a bad canopy. Too much crap going on right now to effectively concentrate on a college algebra. I did that so I can concentrate on my two other classes.

"College algebra" is an oxymoron. That stuff should be covered in 8th grade.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

"College algebra" is an oxymoron. That stuff should be covered in 8th grade.

+1
HAMMER:
Originally employed as a weapon of war, the hammer nowadays is used as a
kind of divining rod to locate the most expensive parts adjacent the
object we are trying to hit.

Some of us aren't math inclined.

I'm one of them. I never touched algebra until my mid-twenties when I entered college.
Much easier to learn that stuff at a young age. MUCH easier.
HAMMER:

There is a certain level beyond which the average person doesn't need to go. It depends on what career you plan on pursuing. An English major probably doesn't need to take calculus.

However, far too many people don't have even a basic level of understanding of algebra and geometry and that simply baffles me. Their excuse is usually something like "but I'm not good at math" which in my mind is essentially saying "but I'm illiterate." I'm not talking about anything all that advanced either, just the kind of stuff you'd grossly cover in the (for me) 9th grade.

I don't get it.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

The only difference between "College Algebra" and "Algebra" is the word "College".

Definitely recommend a tutor, once/week, it's very effective. I tutor a lot of high school and college students, some of which are in their 40's.

I'm still baffled by the guy at the UPS store who couldn't handle it when I gave him $55.13 cash for a $51.13 total, because I obviously didn't have any 1's. It took him 5 minutes to "make" change and he needed the help of the assistant manager. Seriously.
http://www.exitshot.com

I'm still baffled by the guy at the UPS store who couldn't handle it when I gave him $55.13 cash for a $51.13 total, because I obviously didn't have any 1's. It took him 5 minutes to "make" change and he needed the help of the assistant manager. Seriously.

Innumerate.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

We need a single word for the mathematically illiterate.

We have it
Innumerate

These are the kids i deal with daily, 16-19 year olds who have limited numeracy and literacy skills
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

I'm one of them. I never touched algebra until my mid-twenties when I entered college.

I thought Algebra was a requirement to graduate high school... so how is this possible?

Also, it is a pet peeve of mine when people say they won't use math in their current job. Do you have a need to think in your current job? If not then you won't need it. Math/Algebra/Calculus isn't about using the actual formulas, etc. later in life. The purpose is to apply thinking and analytical skills to every day problems. Math trains your mind to think.
Kim Mills
USPA D21696
Tandem I, AFF I and Static Line I

I thought Algebra was a requirement to graduate high school... so how is this possible?

Also, it is a pet peeve of mine when people say they won't use math in their current job. Do you have a need to think in your current job? If not then you won't need it. Math/Algebra/Calculus isn't about using the actual formulas, etc. later in life. The purpose is to apply thinking and analytical skills to every day problems. Math trains your mind to think.

I graduated almost 30 years ago from a school system with a total enrollment(K-12) of under 600.
Algebra was not required, just basic arithmetic and some geometry.
HAMMER:

There is a certain level beyond which the average person doesn't need to go. It depends on what career you plan on pursuing. An English major probably doesn't need to take calculus.

However, far too many people don't have even a basic level of understanding of algebra and geometry and that simply baffles me. Their excuse is usually something like "but I'm not good at math" which in my mind is essentially saying "but I'm illiterate." I'm not talking about anything all that advanced either, just the kind of stuff you'd grossly cover in the (for me) 9th grade.

I don't get it.

Neither do math teachers who can't fathom that there are people who can't understand WTF they're talking about. Those same teachers that have no clue as to how communicate to anyone except the ones that "get" WTF they're talking about and just brush the others off as morons. >:(>:(
The older I get the less I care who I piss off.

I don't get it.

I don't get it either. People will go to great lengths to hide the inability to read, but proudly boast, often in front of their kids, that they can't do math. >:(
"safety first... and What the hell.....
safety second, Too!!! " ~~jmy

POPS #10490

> It took him 5 minutes to "make" change and he needed the help of the assistant manager.

Electronic cash registers have greatly cut down on the need for math for retailers. Gone are the days that you'd get $4.50 in change from a $10 for a $6.50 bill.

Unfortunately this also removes the one requirement for math that some people have - and thus the skill atrophies.

Kinda along the same lines....
I stopped at the local UDF to pick up some milk this evening and while one clerk was ringing up the sale the other clerk (maybe 20-25) asked him, "There ain't a "H" in"shelf", is there?"
:|

HAMMER:

It happens, my college algebra class started out with 32 students. By the time finals rolled around there were four left, only two passed. I passed with a C and so did the other guy. The instructor was horrible, I can't remember how many times he said "I don't know why you guys can't figure out these problems, I can do them just fine." He was completely serious about it too. College is 80% bullshit.