Gawain

Name Ideas for Cats

About a month ago, I posted about the loss of our good friend, Tabi.

Since it was my wife's third rescue/adoption, and none of the cats lived very long, either due to heart failure, or cancer, and seeing how she was quite distraught to lose her friends so quickly, I decided to look at folks that show cats, and breed them as well.

I'm not saying that there are guarantees against anything with pure-bred felines, but there are reasonable expectations that I won't have to worry about things like FIP or some common genetic problems that can really affect a cat's health, especially rescues.

I read up a bit about some popular breeds, and decided that Abyssinians were the way to go. They're active, curious, and quite personable. They aren't a lap-cat, but they love interaction and some play fetch. They're also popular enough in the show circuit that those who do show them take great strides to keep the breed healthy, a low exotic risk. They also don't get too, too big which is good for an indoor environment, but our house is plenty big enough for a couple to romp around, as well as supervise their "humans".

We picked two from a litter today (well, one of them seemed to pick me, he had no problem perching himself right next to me). They're just over 8 weeks old now, and they'll be ready to join us at 12 weeks. For the pics that show three kittens, the two on the right are the ones. The one in the center is the female, and the one on the far right is her brother (you might notice a blue water mark under his armpit). The one on the left is another brother who was really striking, and I was all for bringing the brothers home, but the missus wants one female. So, we'll be picking up a brother and sister.

What kinds of names come to mind? They don't have to be skydiving related, in fact, I'm sure I'll get vetoed with many ideas, but it beats looking at some web-site full of names...especially with all the creative juices flowing here... B|
So I try and I scream and I beg and I sigh
Just to prove I'm alive, and it's alright
'Cause tonight there's a way I'll make light of my treacherous life
Make light!

C'mere(Come Here) and Stay.

Like they'd listen anyway:P

Way cute kittens. Abbys are great cats.

And being smart enough to take the one that picked you is good too.;)

"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

My MIL is into Abbys she had two, both males. Her first was named Zbigniew after Zbigniew Brzezinski, and lived to be 15, I think. Her second, Zando (not sure where the name came from)became depressed and attacked everybody who wasn't MIL when her absences became more frequent due to her work and her new love interest overseas. It became so bad that noone, including my husband and sister in law would take care of him anymore. We finally convinced her to contact a rescue group and put him up for adoption. Apparently he is doing much better, he always has company in his new home.
It was a good call to get two right away.:)

"I love cooking with wine. Sometimes I even put it in the food."