skyrider

Luge Athlete Dies Before Opening Ceremonies

I guess a few people have had some pretty good crashes on this course...several are questioning its safety.

Really? They're going 90 mph on a sheet of ice with little more than a helmet to protect them...exactly how "safe" is it supposed to be???
I don't want to make all the decisions because if I screw up, then I can't blame it on you...

I guess a few people have had some pretty good crashes on this course...several are questioning its safety.

Really? They're going 90 mph on a sheet of ice with little more than a helmet to protect them...exactly how "safe" is it supposed to be???

Hey at least with the luge you are going down feet first;)

I wonder if you can get some time on the run at Whistler after the olympics... I want to try skeleton.. I am used to going very fast head first;):):)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Skeleton_(sport)

Very sad, you would think they might have padded those pillars... wouldn't have helped much but would have at least been a good idea. RIP

They didn't need to pad the pillars. They needed to make the wall higher.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

It can be found on YouTube, but there are a number of YouTube entries that have already been censored. So who knows how long people will able to see the video on YouTube. Of course your CNN posts pretty much has the same views, only with still photos. So people get the idea of what happened.

It sucks he died, they should erect at catch fence in certain sections of the course. But it is not a safe sport. Honor the fallen luge racer, close ranks and carry on.

Try not to worry about the things you have no control over

Some are the saying the course is built backwards to the usual ones. The hardest part is at the bottom instead of the top.

Just a thought, maybe they should scrap whom ever they chose to light the flame. Then get four guys and this guy's sled, fasten the torch to the sled, and then carry it up to the flame.

It would bring down the house . . .

NickD

They showed it on the CTV news about an hour ago. A terrible start to the Olympic games. The Georgia delegation was just on to state that they were going to stay and compete in the spirit of the Games.

RIP Nodar Kumaritashvili.
--
Murray

"No tyranny is so irksome as petty tyranny: the officious demands of policemen, government clerks, and electromechanical gadgets." - Edward Abbey

Some are the saying the course is built backwards to the usual ones. The hardest part is at the bottom instead of the top.

Just a thought, maybe they should scrap whom ever they chose to light the flame. Then get four guys and this guy's sled, fasten the torch to the sled, and then carry it up to the flame.

It would bring down the house . . .

NickD

He will be acknowledged in the opening remarks and with a moment of silence according to Jacques Rogge. Rogge may also dedicate the Games to him. I don't know if anything beyond that will be done.

Terrible tragedy...22 year old guy with lots of living to do cut down at a moment of great personal triumph and achievement. I feel sick for his family, friends, teammates and countrymen.
--
Murray

"No tyranny is so irksome as petty tyranny: the officious demands of policemen, government clerks, and electromechanical gadgets." - Edward Abbey