jojo0815

stabbed pullout bridle - WTF?

Last weekend my buddy and me went down to Perris to do some night jumps. On the last day jump his PC wouldn't collapse after deployment and getting down to the ground he realized that the bridle had knotted up where the pud is attached. The very strange thing was that his pin had actually stabbed THROUGH both layers of the bridle. The container is an Infinity which was a very beefy bridle. Has anybody ever seen anything like this before? Was that a freak accident or ...?
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
See attached pics!

wow, that sucks for him!!:P

ive had tension knots in my pullout bridle twice, the first time it put some serious friction burns on my bridle.

im not suprised that the pin went through the bridle, theyres a LOT of force involved.

as far as what caused it and how to prevent it, i bet you could go a couple hundred thousand more jumps and never have that problem again, id definetaly be interested in finding out if there is some other preventable factor involved though!

Brian Germain was relating a very similar story this weekend just gone though, in the story he told, the pin stabbed through the bridle before pulling out of the closing loop, resulting in a total. The jumper in question failed to identify the cause of the total and so, one reserve repack later, had another total :$.

Very much at the far end of the distribution curve, but it obviously happens occasionally.

Brian Germain was relating a very similar story this weekend just gone though, in the story he told, the pin stabbed through the bridle before pulling out of the closing loop, resulting in a total. The jumper in question failed to identify the cause of the total and so, one reserve repack later, had another total :$.

The jumper Brian was relating to was me. The incident happened a few years ago at my home DZ in Sweden. Me and my team were being coached by Colon Berry for a few days, and were doing back-to-back jumps all day long. After pulling my pc (Vector III rig, BOC with at normal killine PC) on the second jump of the day, I immediately felt that something was wrong and that i had a total. So with out much hesitation, I cut away & pulled my reserve. As the reserve was deploying, the main bag fell out of the container. I managed to get hold of it wit my foot and held on to it all the way down.
Since we'd payed a lot of money for bringing a coach from the US all the way to Sweden, I wanted to continue jumping a.s.a.p. So I just threw my rig to one of the riggers at the DZ and asked for a quick re-pack, and continued jumping with a borrowed rig. At the time, I thought the total was caused by a horseshoe mal or something like that - I didn't even think about checking the bridle to my main. And neither did my rigger (who btw still is my favourite rigger B|). An hour later, I got my rig back - and on the next jump I had a total again. Needles to say, that freaked me out a bit, so we took a time out from jumping and sat down with the rigger to try an figure out what the problem was. I remember Colon (who saw the 2nd incident from the ground) saying "you looked like a tandem, dude... you had a drouge!"). After a while my rigger noticed a small hole in the bridle to the main. And lo & behold... the pin fit neatly into that hole!

This is what we think happened: when packing, I always used to place the pin with the tip sticking out on the right side of the bridle, curving upwards (smiley). When i pulled my PC. the tip of the pin went over the bridle - and then straight through it when the PC stretched the bridle.
These days, I always place the pin with the tip sticking out on the left side of the bridle & curved downwards (sad mouth).

After the incident, I called RTW in DeLand and told them about the incident, and they said that they'd never heard anything like it before.

BSBD,

/O.J

That's definately a new one to me:o I'm trying to figure out how it would happen since normally, the pin il end up close to the grommet after being pulled clear of the closing loop. What luck though! Not only did it punch through the center of the Ty-3 tape, but it managed to spear the kill lne at the same time:D

That's definately a new one to me:o I'm trying to figure out how it would happen since normally, the pin il end up close to the grommet after being pulled clear of the closing loop. What luck though! Not only did it punch through the center of the Ty-3 tape, but it managed to spear the kill lne at the same time:D

Actually.... the kill line didn't get harmed as it seemed to have slid sideways out of harms way.

someone at my dropzone had their curved pin on a throw out stab through a dacron bridle causing a baglock on a hop and pop. She had a pincheck before exiting the aircraft. We are assuming that it just looped around it, and the force of the pilot chute in the relative wind pulled it over the pin, causing a reserve ride. It was definetly strange to see.