keithbar

turbo tax

so how safe is this clicky I kind of feel hinkey about clicking on something and giving them all my info. but I'm tired of getting raped by h&r block. but I've been having do do a long form what with getting a 1099 at the end of the year. but. this is the 1st year in a while I'm damn sure i should get . something back. i claimed 0 damn it i should be able to just do the 1040 ez and still get a refund.
i have on occasion been accused of pulling low . My response. Naw I wasn't low I'm just such a big guy I look closer than I really am .

I've used it for 10+ years and have used the web-based version for several years now (before that it was the CDs). I find it intuitive and easy to use and I haven't heard of any security issues with the service.

If you happen to have a Vanguard account (my work retirement savings account is through them) log into Vanguard first - they're offering a discount on TurboTax but you have to go through the Vanguard site to get the discount applied.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

I've used it for 10+ years and have used the web-based version for several years now (before that it was the CDs).

This was where I was going: that if the web-based stuff worries you then there are plenty of great programs available on disc.

Elvisio "thinking about it myself" rodriguez

Been using it for about 5 years now. Never had any problems. In fact, using it from year to year is a bit easier because you can roll a lot of information over. This is kind of nice because if you have forgotten about something worth claiming, it'll be there staring you in the face with a $0.00 waiting for an amount to be filled in or to be deleted.

I've used H&R Block-head once and will never do it again. I don't think it's a bad company. We just had this real old lady doing the work for us and I got the impression that she wasn't more knowledgeable about taxes than the average person. Seemed a waste to pay for that to me.
Andy
I'll believe it when I see it on YouTube!

I've been using Tax Cut by HR Block the last 3 years. I like it, makes doing my own taxes easy. Last year and this year I have gotten the two biggest refunds EVER.
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

If you happen to have a Vanguard account ... they're offering a discount on TurboTax but you have to go through the Vanguard site to get the discount applied.

With the same caveat, if you're current or prior service, USAA offers a 25% discount as well.
Shit happens. And it usually happens because of physics.

TurboTax is a good product but if you want to e-file, or file a return period, for free I would use TaxAct. Unlike turbotax you can use any form that the irs offers and its stil free, no hidden fee bullshit. Using TurboTax the more forms you use the higher the price gets. Both are great but one is cheaper, taxact offers some packages that cost money, but it is mainly for you to log in and be able to re-print your return or roll the information over when you have to do your return next year.

After not having to do taxes for 8 years, I get "slapped" with a 1099.

WTF do you do with these things? I've never dealt with one before and reading IRS instructions is...well, not intuitive.

What IRS forms need to be filled out if you only have one 1099?
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

A 1099 just means you earned income but the company that paid you didn't withhold any taxes. You're going to owe the tax man for that. You should be able to go to the IRS site and file for free if you didn't earn more than appx. $50K (I can't remember the exact limit). Should be the same 1040 or 1040EZ, depending on if you itemize.

Edit: start here to see of you need to file.
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

A 1099 just means you earned income but the company that paid you didn't withhold any taxes. You're going to owe the tax man for that. You should be able to go to the IRS site and file for free if you didn't earn more than appx. $50K (I can't remember the exact limit). Should be the same 1040 or 1040EZ, depending on if you itemize.

Edit: start here to see of you need to file.

You probably need to file a return. Keep in mind that there is a copy of that 1099 on its way to the IRS. If you earn the income, you have to file the return.

You may or may not have to pay income tax on it. You will probably have to pay Social Security and Medicare tax on it.

The SS and Medicare taxes are on everything you earn. The income tax doesn't start until after you reach a certain amount of income (the standard deduction is about $5K IIRC)

I've had some bad years in the past where I didn't earn enough to meet the Standard Deduction, so I didn't have to pay any income tax, but I still had to file a return because I made some money.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

TurboTax is a good product but if you want to e-file, or file a return period, for free I would use TaxAct. Unlike turbotax you can use any form that the irs offers and its stil free, no hidden fee bullshit. Using TurboTax the more forms you use the higher the price gets. Both are great but one is cheaper, taxact offers some packages that cost money, but it is mainly for you to log in and be able to re-print your return or roll the information over when you have to do your return next year.

I agree with Tax Act. I've been using it since 1999 or so and love it.

www.taxactonline.com

As someone said about Turbo Tax it's great that it holds over lots of info from year to year. I paid a total of about $13 and that was to efile my federal return and have Tax Act retain my return for the next 7 or so years. At anytime I can access it and print it.

It's been 6 years since I lived in a state with state tax so I don't remember exactly how much adding a state return is, but it's not much.

If you want to get away without spending any money you can go through the whole input process with all of your info, print it and mail it without spending a dime.

I HIGHLY recommend it. No money up front if you just want to give it a try and see what it's like.
Killing threads since 2004.

After not having to do taxes for 8 years, I get "slapped" with a 1099.

WTF do you do with these things? I've never dealt with one before and reading IRS instructions is...well, not intuitive.

It depends on what sort of 1099 - 1099-INT, 1099-DIV, 1099-G, 1099-R, 1099-MISC, etc.

What IRS forms need to be filled out if you only have one 1099?

1099-INT and 1099-DIV will require a 1040 Schedule B if you made enough money (roughly over a thousand dollars).

1099-MISC will require a 1040 Schedule SE if you made enough money (roughly over a few hundred dollars). A Schedule C-EZ or Schedule C will probably go with that.

You could also get with the program and use tax software which will tell you what forms you need.

I've used Turbo Tax for 15 years. In my petty attempts to become a slum landlord and other income producing chicanery, my printed return with accompanying subsidiary schedules to the IRS is usually about 50 pages long.

It is a great product especially if you are using Quicken.
For the same reason I jump off a perfectly good diving board.