bertusgeert

Miles per Gallon - the truth?

follow behind tractor-trailers on the highway

What you're describing is called a dingle-berry. And it's very annoying.

To whom, On a long stint on the freeway I'll quite often pull in behind a big rig
and catch some eye open zzz's

Gone fishing

More and more we are seeing car manufacturers using mpg as a selling point, usually stated well above the actual mpg I've been getting in mine, and I'm sure most people get in theirs.

How is this regulated, and how come there's such a big difference between 35mpg and the 24 I get?

While we're on the topic - what's the best mpg you ever got? (Mine was driving down to key-west & back, 50mph for a few hours of flat driving - 30.5mpg in an accord.)

One thing I love about my VW TDI's.....they both get far better milage than the posted mpg at the dealerships. The new one I looked at a year ago was listed at 42MPG hwy and 30 MPG city... I have yet to ever get less than 45 MPG average between city and country roads in mine while commuting about 250 miles a week.....and I have managed to get over 60 MPG on a long trip... flat freeway doing 70 MPH. I usually get about 650 miles to a tank of fuel.:)
Oh yeah

2000 Bugly and 2003 Jetta.. both TDI:)

I get the same with my 2005 TDI as well...I seem to avg around 38-40 mpg just around town 48-51 on highway at 65-75 mph too..

back in 2005... we picked up Billy Vance in Alabama, and Billy did the driving from at 2 am from Atlanta to Lake wales...there was no traffic out that time of the night...

That Crazy fucker Billy drove at 105 to 110 mph for like 3 hours...I'm surprised we didn't get stopped by cops...
but we still averaged 42 mpg on that leg of the trip.. with Billy driving...

the TDI was hardly working.. running 3500 rpms...in 5th gear..I think Billy likes that TDI....

Hi bertus,

I consider myself a 'car guy.' In Nov I bought a used ( 24,000 miles ) '02 Lexus SC430 in Southern California. I drove it home at speeds of ( usually ) ~75-80 MPH & quite often got it above 110 MPH when passing SloPokes.

I looked on the 'net & it is listed as 21 MPG when new. I got almost 23 MPG for the entire trip from SoCal to the Portland, OR area. I am quite happy with the mileage that it got.

JerryBaumchen

Well my old Skoda that i've just sold used to average between 45 mpg on a bad day to around 54 / 55 mpg on a good run (it was a TDI).

My diesel BMW used to do an average of 50 mpg and that was a 5 series. The new generation petrol and diesel engines that are appearing in some cars are quoting average mpg's of 60 - 70!

Which is awesome ...

Unfortunately gas seems to be $10 - $11 a gallon here so the extra miles per gallon are needed to keep the costs down - i filled my car up a few weeks ago and it cost $110 !!!

Well my old Skoda that i've just sold used to average between 45 mpg on a bad day to around 54 / 55 mpg on a good run (it was a TDI).

My diesel BMW used to do an average of 50 mpg and that was a 5 series. The new generation petrol and diesel engines that are appearing in some cars are quoting average mpg's of 60 - 70!

Which is awesome ...

Unfortunately gas seems to be $10 - $11 a gallon here so the extra miles per gallon are needed to keep the costs down - i filled my car up a few weeks ago and it cost $110 !!!

Ok.. I have to ask.. I was looking on EBAY and saw that BMW diesels sell for really cheap in the UK. I was thinking of doing a contract for a certain global software company over there and I would love to pick up a Beamer Diesel. They were not available over here... in the US until last model year.... so whats up.. why are they so cheap over there. They want a fortune for a new BMW in the states.

back in 2005... we picked up Billy Vance in Alabama, and Billy did the driving from at 2 am from Atlanta to Lake wales...there was no traffic out that time of the night...

That Crazy fucker Billy drove at 105 to 110 mph for like 3 hours...I'm surprised we didn't get stopped by cops...
but we still averaged 42 mpg on that leg of the trip.. with Billy driving...

the TDI was hardly working.. running 3500 rpms...in 5th gear..I think Billy likes that TDI....

No shit. I would love to get one of those for the next vehicle, maybe when the Protege with 208K miles on it goes to shit for good. I still can't fucking believe we went from Pell City, AL all the way to the GA/FL state line on half a tank of gas. :o

I also can't believe we jammed 3 guys worth of gear and baggage in that car of yours. It's not exactly cargo friendly. :D
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

I still can't fucking believe we went from Pell City, AL all the way to the GA/FL state line on half a tank of gas. :o

I also can't believe we jammed 3 guys worth of gear and baggage in that car of yours. It's not exactly cargo friendly. :D

And the rest of us can't believe they let you drive.:S:P
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

I still can't fucking believe we went from Pell City, AL all the way to the GA/FL state line on half a tank of gas. :o

And the rest of us can't believe they let you drive.:S:P

Hey, no tickets no wrecks, plus we got to Lake Wales in record time. :ph34r:
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

(answering several posts at once)

>and how come there's such a big difference between 35mpg and the
>24 I get?

Most likely because of how you drive. Most people don't drive very efficiently; you really need a real time MPG meter to learn how to drive efficiently. (Not a criticism; most people have never had to learn.)

>what's the best mpg you ever got?

66mpg, round trip over 140 miles, Honda Civic Hybrid.

>From what I last saw, they do testing at peak performance speed, usually
>50-55 mph, without the muffler on, without air resistance, without
>passengers in the car, etc, etc.

All cars are tested in the earth's atmosphere with their normal equipment, over a range of speeds. However, cars from 1985 to 2007 were tested with an easier "schedule" i.e. graph of speeds to be driven to get that MPG. From 2008 on it was changed to better align with increased highway speeds. Thus 2008 and on saw lower reported EPA mileage estimates.

>wonder if they use 100% gasoline or this 10% ethanol junk

At 10% ethanol I see about a 2% decrease in gas mileage. At 50% it's about a 10% decrease. So there's definitely some effect but not a lot for most drivers.

Ok.. I have to ask.. I was looking on EBAY and saw that BMW diesels sell for really cheap in the UK. I was thinking of doing a contract for a certain global software company over there and I would love to pick up a Beamer Diesel. They were not available over here... in the US until last model year.... so whats up.. why are they so cheap over there. They want a fortune for a new BMW in the states.

To be honest i think the price issue is a question of supply and demand - there are far more diesel BMW's in Europe. They are very popular due to the MPG obtained.

In the past it may have been that the 'type' of diesel sold in the US was lower quality mainly for truck / lorry use and as such wasn't suited for the BMW engines.

The fact that they are now on sale in the US means that you shouldn't have any issues now and i would strongly recommend one.

A few years ago i had a 120D BMW as a run around - it was awesome - 0 - 60 in 7.9 secs and at times 55+ MPG which in a car that is now 6 years old was unbelievable.

The new 320D with it's stop start technology is giving an average of almost 60MPG and is still capable of hitting 143mph and doing 0 - 60 in 7.9 secs.

The 330D will hit 155 mph and do 0-60 in just over 6 secs and still give an average of almost 48 mpg ...

Got to love those diesel engines !!! :)

Yep - those are the latest models - older models without the stop/start technology will be getting a few MPG less - but for a decent car that is fast enough for most people then they make amazing reading.

The 316d manages to average almost 63 mpg but you lose a fair bit of acceleration and top end speed - so i still rate the 320D as the best balance overall.

Even the landrover freelander with it's new diesel engine is now quoted at 42+ mpg average which is pretty good for an SUV ... :)

More and more we are seeing car manufacturers using mpg as a selling point, usually stated well above the actual mpg I've been getting in mine, and I'm sure most people get in theirs.

How is this regulated, and how come there's such a big difference between 35mpg and the 24 I get?

While we're on the topic - what's the best mpg you ever got? (Mine was driving down to key-west & back, 50mph for a few hours of flat driving - 30.5mpg in an accord.)

One thing I love about my VW TDI's.....they both get far better milage than the posted mpg at the dealerships. The new one I looked at a year ago was listed at 42MPG hwy and 30 MPG city... I have yet to ever get less than 45 MPG average between city and country roads in mine while commuting about 250 miles a week.....and I have managed to get over 60 MPG on a long trip... flat freeway doing 70 MPH. I usually get about 650 miles to a tank of fuel.:)
Oh yeah

2000 Bugly and 2003 Jetta.. both TDI:)

I just had my new SportWagen TDI out on the highway for the first time and was very pleased: 46mpg at 70 mph vs. the rated 42mpg. I have a biodiesel station close by and the biodiesel seems to give about 3% more mileage on my standard commute.

Wow I did'nt know that BMs were getting that.... and those are proper size Gallons too

Which means here in the US, those cars will NOT achieve the same numbers! Our gallons are a bit smaller, right? :o
When the only tool you have is a hammer, every problem looks like a nail.