BillyVance

Classic comics of yore...

My two most favorite strips of all time are Calvin and Hobbes, and Bloom County (with Opus the penguin). I really miss reading them in the newspaper, but I have all their books here at home. :)
One of the classics...

Add any of yours if you want. B|
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

Where is "The Legend of Billy Vance"

I dunno, but this is where I got my "brain surgery" avatar from... http://www.angelfire.com/wa/zzaran/calvin.html

Remember Calvin sawing into a snowman's head? :D

These are the greatest snow sculpture strips ever. B|
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

My two most favorite strips of all time are Calvin and Hobbes, and Bloom County (with Opus the penguin). I really miss reading them in the newspaper, but I have all their books here at home. :)
One of the classics...

Add any of yours if you want. B|

Pogo and Li'l Abner. The Phantom, too. Prince Valiant and Steve Canyon on Sundays.

Hi BV,
Peanuts is up there especially when Snoopy went after the Red Baron!! Can't forget the underground comix of he 60's. Zaps, The Fabulous Furry Freak Brothers, Wonder Wart Hog and others from the twisted mind of Rob Crumb, Angel Food Mc Spade, The Checkered Demon, the ongoing saga of the Hog Ridin' Fools and The Screaming Gypsy Bandits!! Life was Good!!
SCR-2034, SCS-680

III%,
Deli-out

The BEST !!! had to be Gary Larson
THE FAR SIDE.....
pure genius!!!!!

billy...

on the last sunday that Calvin & Hobbes ran in the local paper...( maybe 10 years ago, now ) my kids and i made this snow sculpture in their honor...in our front yard..!!!!
Hobbes was about 8 feet tall... note Calvin,, siting on hobbes' shoulder.....

I have most of the paperback book collection..

jmy

The BEST !!! had to be Gary Larson
THE FAR SIDE.....
pure genius!!!!!

For years I had the FAR SIDE daily calendar on my desk at work. Then it went away. Couple years ago my wife was in a calendar store and saw a sign .... "If you liked FAR SIDE, you'll love Rubes." Same type of humor, although some of them take a moment or two of thought in order to "get it".
Peace,
-Dawson.
http://www.SansSuit.com
The Society for the Advancement of Naked Skydiving

>>Classic comics of yore
Dick Tracy & Little Orphan Annie are yore.

Calvin and Hobbes & Bloom County are more like last week . . . ;)

NickD :)

All this does is prove how old you are. :ph34r:

re : Dick Tracy and Little Orphan Annie...

who would have ever thought that tracys' unfathomable "2 way wrist radio".. would evolve into the cellular phones and PDAs of today???

Nick DG???? do you remember DONDI ???
the sunday paper where i grew up. had Tracy on the front page of the comics and Dondi on the back..
Inside?? classics like Snuffy Smith,,,,The Katzenjammer Kids, Lil Abner,, Rex Morgan MD...
Gasoline Alley, Brenda Starr....
remember any others???

jimmy

Calvin and Hobbes brought the same spirit to the comics that the first Star Wars movie brought to the theater; the almost forgotten joy of the medium. For years the creator of C & H fought the papers over the ever shrinking comic page. He wanted his art Big and Bold. Remember all those space man adventures Calvin day dreamed, with huge interplanetary vistas, and how in the last panel the alien space monster always morphed back into his teacher, mom or dad? Classic comedy from a truly child like perspective. :)
Gary Larsen of The Far Side is a favorite son of Washington, living just 20 minutes away in Tacoma. He's semi-retired now. Last I heard he planned to spend more time playing jazz guitar. B| I've always felt his work spawned legions of pale imitators. I don't think anyone since has matched the twisted bizarreness of his humor. :D

Space Man Spiff !!!B|

and true enough.. rubes,,,,, and ANY other single space comic with a 'bizarre' approach..... is doing Nothing but
"Rippin' OFF " Larson!!!!>:(>:(

without a doubt...
sooo many favorites...
but the one that i cut out and tacked up next to the manifest window... showed this guy "sittin' up' after deployment,, with a ripcord handle and cable in hand,,, a backpack container which was open, and had a few scraggly lines leading UP ,,, to a PIANO!!!!!:o
the chest mounted reserve container was ALSO open and THAT had a few scraggly lines which led up to a ships' ANCHOR !![:/]:(..

and the caption read....

" Murray didn't feel the pangs of REAL panic set in,,, til he pulled the reserve handle!!!!"
hahaha
In other words.... Murray was cool....
he deploys the main,,, and GETS a PIANO!!!!![:/]
BUT.....
NOOOOO problem.... He's got it alll under control....just folllow his EPs and hit that reserve....
But Lo & Behold!!!!! he gets a GD Anchor....
NOw..... it's time to panic....

sooo many other great great, single frame comics.

jt

Calvin and Hobbes brought the same spirit to the comics that the first Star Wars movie brought to the theater; the almost forgotten joy of the medium. For years the creator of C & H fought the papers over the ever shrinking comic page. He wanted his art Big and Bold. Remember all those space man adventures Calvin day dreamed, with huge interplanetary vistas, and how in the last panel the alien space monster always morphed back into his teacher, mom or dad? Classic comedy from a truly child like perspective. :)
Gary Larsen of The Far Side is a favorite son of Washington, living just 20 minutes away in Tacoma. He's semi-retired now. Last I heard he planned to spend more time playing jazz guitar. B| I've always felt his work spawned legions of pale imitators. I don't think anyone since has matched the twisted bizarreness of his humor. :D

You hit the nail on the head. Nonsequetor is very good now. Some times with regular characters located in Maine some where and sometimes just a single panal.

Peanuts. A timeless classic.

All the engineers on here must be in a meeting to find out why production is down. No one has mentioned Dilbert.

How many remember when Farly died saving April?

Academia Waltz was a precussor to Bloom County and both can be found daily.

Flo is a saint to put up with Andy Capp.

I don't know if Baldo is widesprad but it's certainly worth a look.

Rose is Rose is the very soul of family joy.

I would've thought that Cathy would be mentioned by at least one of the ladies.

I don't know if these are considered classic or if they need to be dead first. I read them every day either in the paper or online.
Most of the things worth doing in the world had been declared impossilbe before they were done.
Louis D Brandeis

Where are we going and why are we in this basket?

Thanks for passing that along!
I really miss those two comic strips. I think my wife bought a 'Far Side' calendar each January till they quit printing them. We've sent 'Far side' Christmas cards and etc.
Since that last comic strip of 'Calvin and Hobbes', we've done exactly what it said... 'Lets go exploring.' There'll never be anything like those two... ever! [:/]

Chuck