CanuckInUSA

Your favorite classic Olympic performances

Tell us about your favorite classic Olympic moments.

I will start us of with this men's downhill racer Franz Klammer YouTube video from the 1976 Winter Olympics in Innsbruck Austria. It is one of many classic Olympic moments.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sYj9kIxAL_o

Well before I go I must also acknowledge another classic Olympic moment. The 1980 US men's Olympic hockey team.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CGACsSW4Iqw&feature=related

Tell us your favorite classic Olympic moments ...

Try not to worry about the things you have no control over

I remember the horror when Dan Jansen crashed speed skating.

But I think 2 things from the winter olympics really sticks out for me.

1988, Calgary. Albero Tomba dominates. Ski jumper Matti Nykanen wins all ski jumping events, Grinkov and Gordeeva debut in pairs, but who do we all remember?????

"Eddie the Eagle" and the Jamaican bobsled team!!!!!:PB|:ph34r::ph34r::D

What ever happened to Tonya Harding? Her and that other woman she was into it with just about conclude my memories of past Olympic moments :)

Oh and the Centennial Park bombing in Atlanta during the 96 summer Olympics. Almost forgot about that.
Serious relationships turn into work after a few weeks and I already got a fucking job :)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
H.A.F. = Hard As Fuck ... Goddamn Amateurs

I was 8 years old living in Montreal in 1976 when Nadia Comaneci burst on to the scene. My family had tickets to a number of Olympics events (numerous Soccer games, Gymnastics, Judo, Cycling and Volleyball) and I got to see Nadia perform in one of the preliminary events (not the medal rounds when she scored her 1.00s ... LOL). But my favorite event I got to see in at those games was the women's volleyball gold medal game. Wow they were good ... :)

Try not to worry about the things you have no control over

Clara Hughes - 2006 Winter Games in Turin.

After winning silver in the team pursuit long track speed skating, she was feeling somewhat unmotivated to compete in the 5000K. She watched a special on Olaf Koss' 'Right to Play' and felt re energized. She ended up winning the gold medal and emptied her personal savings to donate $10,000 to Right to Play - this was before any sort of bonus paid to Canadian athletes when they won gold!!

The look on her face when she crossed the finish line in first place was absolutely priceless!!

Silken Laumann winning bronze for Canada in rowing in 1992 at Barcelona. She had a serious leg injury 10 weeks before the Olympics, several operations and just gutted it out. She won with her last stroke, just barely beating out another rower for the Bronze.

Brings tears to my eyes just thinking about it.
--
Murray

"No tyranny is so irksome as petty tyranny: the officious demands of policemen, government clerks, and electromechanical gadgets." - Edward Abbey

I was 8 years old living in Montreal in 1976 when Nadia Comaneci burst on to the scene. My family had tickets to a number of Olympics events (numerous Soccer games, Gymnastics, Judo, Cycling and Volleyball) and I got to see Nadia perform in one of the preliminary events (not the medal rounds when she scored her 1.00s ... LOL). But my favorite event I got to see in at those games was the women's volleyball gold medal game. Wow they were good ... :)

Olga Korbet doing a back summersault to a catch on the unevens was the most revelutionary move till the Thomas Flair. But her move was WAY gutsy.
Most of the things worth doing in the world had been declared impossilbe before they were done.
Louis D Brandeis

Where are we going and why are we in this basket?

Tell us about your favorite classic Olympic moments.

I will start us of with this men's downhill racer Franz Klammer YouTube video from the 1976 Winter Olympics in Innsbruck Austria. It is one of many classic Olympic moments.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sYj9kIxAL_o

Well before I go I must also acknowledge another classic Olympic moment. The 1980 US men's Olympic hockey team.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CGACsSW4Iqw&feature=related

Tell us your favorite classic Olympic moments ...

I was just thinking of Franz Klammer in '76, the guy just flew down the slope like a bat out of hell.

The wife and I were also wowed with Torvell & Dean's ice dancing "Bolero" at the '84 Sarajevo Olympics. Right now we're watching the luge event. Even with a shorter course, they're still smokin' 90+ mph.

Your humble servant.....Professor Gravity !

men's downhill

That has always been my favorite WO event.

Most inspiring ? The Japanese gymnast who competed in 1976 with a broken knee and won gold. That was the gutsiest performance I've ever seen in any sport.

Classic ? Hands-down the US-USSR hockey game in 1980.

Don
"When in doubt I whip it out,
I got me a rock-and-roll band.
It's a free-for-all."

I'll stick to winter games.

How about Hermann Maier eating it hard in Nagano - and then getting a couple of golds.

Or Maty Nykanen (spelling?) kicking ass in Calgary. That fucking guy about outflew Loic Jean-Albert down a mountain!

Or Bradbury winning the speed skating short track a few years ago because a crash took everyone else out.

My wife is hotter than your wife.

Eric Heiden - speedskating hero in Lake Placid 1980. Won every race from 500 meters to 10,000. 5 gold medals. I know Mark Spitz and Michael Phelps have won more, but their medals include relay races. To the best of my knowledge, no one else has won 5 individual golds in one Olympics. He completely dominated his sport in a way that no on else ever has, in my humble opinion. His achievment was the equivalent of a runner winning every event from the 100 yard dash up to the 10,000 meters. Speed skaters now specialize in certain distances, rather than doing all the races as Heiden did. His record will likely never be repeated.

[/url]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eric_Heiden[url]

Olympic snowboarders winning by tenths of seconds, yet still too stupid to wear tight/slick suits

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

Olympic snowboarders winning by tenths of seconds, yet still too stupid to wear tight/slick suits

Yeah, whats up with that? :S

Personally, my favorite Olympic performance, Winter or Summer, has to be Joan Benoit's marathon win at the 1984 LA games. It was the first time a women's marathon was held in the Olympics, and the roar in the Coliseum when she emerged from the tunnel onto the track sent chills up and down my spine. :)
ETA: that propelled me to enter my first marathon (stupidly) at the age of 17 later that year in December. I did not prepare for it amply enough or give myself enough time, and my high school track coach tried to talk me out of it. I slogged to a painful finish in 4 and a half hours. Totally fucked up my track season that school year. :S
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban