bertusgeert

Where to live?

Haven't posted in a very long time, but can't think of a better place to ask this question...

I'm at a point where I'm trying to make a decision about where the best place is to go set up for a while.

the criteria
- i work in finance and value my career vs. other stuff...say...50/50. i have a couple years of solid experience (looking to corpfin/I-banking/PE/Hedge world - not picky)
- i'd love to be able to start jumping again
- have always aspired to BASE
- be close to a place where I can continue paragliding,
- get closer to the ocean to learn to surf, snorkel, scuba,
- of course i love to ski
- where the people are friendly & easy going

The places I have been thinking of are Denver, Sydney, SLC, SanFran. (I am dual US/Aussie).

I'm currently in the NE and don't like it much, I prefer to make friends who are less concerned with what they do and how much money they make and more concerned with how much fun they could be having outside.

Any suggestions for places I should be evaluating in addition?

---------------------------------------------
As jy dom is moet jy bloei!

Colorado rocks with a nice balance of career opportunities and fun things to do in the great outdoors. It is not a cheap place to live, but it is also not ultra expensive. The cost of living in San Francisco is ultra expensive. Finally while I have never lived there, Salt Lake City is a beautiful city and offers similar opportunities that Colorado will offer. But you have to be able to tolerate the Morons in Utah. However in my brief experiences with the Morons, I found them to be friendly people.

I can't speak of Sydney Australia since I have never been down under.

Try not to worry about the things you have no control over

A lot of people really like Denver, but if I couldn't live here in Breckenridge or similar, I probably wouldn't live in Denver either. Chicago is good, and really inexpensive to fly to Denver for your ski trips. Phoenix too.
I like Tampa, and it's proximity to Z-hills. Having grown up on the Gulf Coast, I really miss the convenience of being near the beach.
Roll Tide Roll

But you have to be able to tolerate the Morons in Utah. However in my brief experiences with the Morons, I found them to be friendly people.

So it is your firm belief that the state of Utah is full of friendly idiots ?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moron_(psychology)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mormon
"No cookies for you"- GFD
"I don't think I like the sound of that" ~ MB65
Don't be a "Racer Hater"

check out bend, oregon. its a beautiful place with most of what you are looking for. it's only a couple hours from the beach too. if your interested in denver or slc, this place may have something for you as well, but in a much smaller city.

"Your scrotum is quite nice" - Skymama
www.kjandmegan.com

Sydney has all those things and a higher standard of living than the US, a little more expensive but better qulaity food, always close to the ocean and friendly people.

All of those activities are available to you there.

That would be a no brainer, for me.

Don't get me wrong. I like America, but there are too many seppos there!:D:P

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, then the world will see peace." - 'Jimi' Hendrix

There's a US web site called findyourspot.com. Check Grand Junction, Co. Hour from Moab, hour from, Aspen and Vail. Couple hours from Lake Powell. Five hours from SLC. Pretty much all you want but the suba, surfing.
U only make 2 jumps: the first one for some weird reason and the last one that you lived through. The rest are just filler.
scr 316

But you have to be able to tolerate the Morons in Utah. However in my brief experiences with the Morons, I found them to be friendly people.

So it is your firm belief that the state of Utah is full of friendly idiots ?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moron_(psychology)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mormon

Careful ... you don't want this thread moved to the Speakers Corner do you?

Try not to worry about the things you have no control over

I'd move to EloyB|
Easy drive to LA, and south and good weather year round, oh and a kick arse DZ with stellar people:)

You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

*DENVER*

you can do everything on your list here except the seaside stuff of course.

Or jump in the winter.

Or do anything worth a crap that doesn't involve a set of skis in the winter...:P
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

Hi bert,

Its been a number of years ago now, but they ( some people that I don't know ) did one of Those Most Desireable Place to Live surveys and Melbourne, Australia came in first.

Does that help?

JerryBaumchen

Melbourne Sucks, it's full of Victorians:D:D:D

Move to Perth;)
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

I lived in Melbourne for a while, and can see why it's well regarded, although the cloudy winters would get to me. And the surf is a bit further away and not quite as good as east coast. Visited Perth once, definitely a beautiful place, but don't know if I can handle being that far away from everyone. My company has some jobs in Sydney available, so that's a factor. And the fact that Oz had no recession and is going strong.

Thanks for the pointer about Monterrey county dubjumps, I'll click a couple of submit buttons on that link and see what surfaces.

Denver is also a good consideration, with family there. Seeing this many advocates will make me think about it a little more

As for Utah, is living under the mormon authority really that bad? My few visits exposed some things that you have to deal with, but nothing that I can't handle - am I missing something? (You can always cart in supplies from across the border albeit a little more inconvenient, and there's state run liquor stores too?)

Thanks for the opinions, this is helpful.

I clicked through the findyourspot survey, and it came up with places scattered through Colorado, Utah, Idaho and Montana. Now that IS a place i'd like to check out..."the world is full of bastards, the number increasing rapidly the further one gets from Missoula Montana".

Strangely enough it did not recommend anything in CA.

*DENVER*

you can do everything on your list here except the seaside stuff of course.

Or jump in the winter.

Or do anything worth a crap that doesn't involve a set of skis in the winter...:P

WRONG... We jump all year round here. I actually find it somewhat enjoyable to jump in the winter, but it can get a bit chilly at times. It's often close to 50's in mid winter and we even get some occasional days over 60. We have been flying the Otter every weekend but one so far this winter.
*I am not afraid of dying... I am afraid of missing life.*
----Disclaimer: I don't know shit about skydiving.----

Vacation days... another good argument.
http://money.cnn.com/2007/06/12/pf/vacation_days_worldwide/

Lazy Americans get more time off than Canadians :P
I get 12 weeks per year off :) and every 5th year off aswell:D:D
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

the criteria
- i work in finance and value my career vs. other stuff...say...50/50. i have a couple years of solid experience (looking to corpfin/I-banking/PE/Hedge world - not picky)

- Finance jobs - Check
- Skydive - Check
- Paraglide - Check - Check
- Cool place/Cool people - Check

GenevaB|

(.)Y(.)
Chivalry is not dead; it only sleeps for want of work to do. - Jerome K Jerome

the criteria

- Finance jobs - Check
- Skydive - Check
- Paraglide - Check - Check
- Cool place/Cool people - Check

GenevaB|
But there's loads of French people so that negates all those CHECKS:D:D
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?