veter_

Canopy turning by itself

I've got a new Spectre 190 which tends to turn left by itself at a rate of about 10 degrees per second. My rigger checked the lines, the trim is perfect. Leg straps are tight and even. To compensate for the turn, I have to either shift all my weight to right leg or pull right toggle to shoulder.

This is not only annoying, but also costs me some flare power as even on the final approach I have to compensate for the turn.

Nobody can figure out what's wrong.

Any ideas?

I've got a new Spectre 190 which tends to turn left by itself at a rate of about 10 degrees per second. My rigger checked the lines, the trim is perfect.

If the canopy is doing that all the time then, even with perfect trim, there could be another construction defect that's causing the issue. I'd suggest contacting PD - they probably have a set of tests you can do to check it's the canopy and not something else (or send it back to them for testing). Either way I know they'll be more than happy to help you resolve the issue.

Blues,
Ian
Performance Designs Factory Team

achowe: constantly. openings are OK.

Ian: if I don't find the reason, I will contact PD, but this is already the second problem with Spectre's in a row: my previous Spectre 210 was consistently slamming me on openings, this 190 is a replacement.

piisfish: risers are equal, body symmetrical (well, I have to lean all the way to right riser to compensate for the turn), now, holes... I don't know, but that's a good point, I'll check them next weekend.

It can and does happen that a canopy is built with a constant turn. I've been in the canopy manufacturing business for many years and I've seen this from every known manufacturer on every known type of ram air canopy. It's nothing that can necessarily have a clear explanation. Sometimes it can be caused by the fabric itself, sometimes by manufacturing errors, but generally it defies explanation. Sort of like a car that is in perfect front end alignment but still drifts off the road when you let go of the steering wheel.

There are remedies that can take the turn out, as long as it doesn't require excessive measures to get the canopy to fly straight. The two most common methods of correction are to shorten some of the lines to pull the canopy in the opposite direction, or to make extra folds in the stabilizer seams on one side to accomplish the same thing.

Don't waste time trying to figure this out; send the canopy to PD and let them handle it.

This probably isn't the problem that you are having, but what the hey, there's no harm in checking. Does your container have adjustable MLW and if so are they set evenly. This can cause a built in turn the same as unevenly tightened leg straps.

Just a thought sparked by another thread.

Not that I am qualified to answer your question, but I did have similar problem.

Before my own gear arrived I used student gear and it did just not quite fit properly. The result of this was a slight left turn with toggles fully released. Of course being new and never experiencing similar issues I thought it was the canopy. I spoke with my instructor and he told me to have someone else jump the canopy. I asked the S,T, & A/senior rigger to jump the canopy (he did and had no problems). With that we are significantly different body size and build.

Once my harness/container arrived I flew the same canopy and the slight turn was gone. Just another scenario for you to consider.

Fire Safety Tip: Don't fry bacon while naked

phoenixlpr

Bad news 4 you: you might have to live with it.

I had 40+ jumps on a Maverick(200sqft) with built in turn.
Its not a big deal, if you know and you can hadle it.

No, he doesn't. If he bought it new and the defect is indeed with the canopy, PD will fix it or replace it. That's the difference between the customer service of PD versus whoever-makes-or-made-the-maverick.
I'm standing on the edge
With a vision in my head
My body screams release me
My dreams they must be fed... You're in flight.