cocheese

Hangar 9 New Twin Otter!

Any model plane enthusiats out there? I'm interested to know how much money it would take to complete one of these - say with the electric engines.

Base Price: $489.99

Electric Power
• 6+ channel radio system with 8 servos - $ ???
• 2 electric motors - $ ???
• 2 speed controls - $ ???
• 2 battery packs - $ ???
• 2 propellers - $ ???

Total: $ ???

I just don't know what size motors, speed controls, etc, are required to put on this.
Trapped on the surface of a sphere. XKCD

add another $1000 or more.

If you have to ask, you're probably not ready for this one. Just the way it is.

Radio and servos...$400+
Motors are about $100 each.
speed controls. $75 each
Batteries... about $100 each
Proppellers...$8 each

and a buch of other things will be needed or wanted.

i have a twin otter mostly built. i have everything needed to finish and fly it. i don't know how much i've got into it, but i'm guessing somewhere around $600. i didn't buy a kit though, i ordered plans off the internet and then bought all the raw materials at the local hobby shop.

"Your scrotum is quite nice" - Skymama
www.kjandmegan.com

:D to the first person to build one to drop those little plastic parachutists.

Elvisio "way out of my attention span" Rodriguez

Suppose you got engines strong enough, could you get a midget, like say Gia, in there and could it take off and get her to altitude? :D
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

WEIRD!! I jump out of those.

The Tail number is even correct. but the tail doesn't have the extra fins like the real ones do.

why they use floats sometimes on that plane?

Water take offs and landings?
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

The Tail number is even correct. but the tail doesn't have the extra fins like the real ones do.

why they use floats sometimes on that plane?

So it doesn't flip over when you land in water silly.

They have the extra fins on the horizontal stab? Hmm. Shouldn't need them except when floats are installed.

I made my first Twin Otter jump in 1980 at the Air Force Academy when they hosted a civilian meet. What a treat for someone used to Twin Beeches and DC-3's. Although I'm not sure, I think we were jumping the older model Otters. The model looks like the later model with the longer nose (and more powerful engines.B|)

Opie, the question was related to the fact that there are extra fins on the tail, I was asking why they put floats on the aircraft they use for parachuting. But I shouldn't spend more time to explain these subtle aerodynamic things, I mean you have lots of jumps so you probably know more than anybody else. It's always amazing to see how aerodynamics is such a widespread and enjoyable hobby

Opie, the question was related to the fact that there are extra fins on the tail, I was asking why they put floats on the aircraft they use for parachuting. But I shouldn't spend more time to explain these subtle aerodynamic things, I mean you have lots of jumps so you probably know more than anybody else. It's always amazing to see how aerodynamics is such a widespread and enjoyable hobby

You wrote "why they use floats sometimes on that plane?" and I'll stand by my answer to that.

You wrote "why they use floats sometimes on that plane?" and I'll stand by my answer to that.

Quit being such a sky god:D
BASE 1384

Quit being such a sky god:D

:) I changed my jump numbers, does that help;)