TrophyHusband

3g smartphones, worth the money?

the wife and i have verizon and our phones are a few years old and starting to act up. we were thinking of getting smartphones, but if i understand it correctly we would have to pay $30 a month more for each phone. this would nearly double our cell phone bill.

is this the norm? i see a lot of people with these smart phones that claim to be broke, so is there a cheaper way, or is that why they're broke? we would be willing to pay $30 more a month for 2 phones, but not $60. is this negotiable at a verizon store?

"Your scrotum is quite nice" - Skymama
www.kjandmegan.com

The additional cost for mine (through Verizon) was for the data plan to be able to use the web browser, etc. I went with the medium priced plan and haven't used all my available usage yet. That was $20 a month. Looking at their website now, I think that plan has vanished, but they have choice that is $10 a month. Much usage and that wouldn't be a very good choice. Watch out for adding apps to the phones. That adds up fast!!
"safety first... and What the hell.....
safety second, Too!!! " ~~jmy

POPS #10490

What do you want to use it for? I have an iphone 3GS and love it. I pay roughly $100/mo and have unlimited text, unlimited data (thats the internet), and unlimited mobil to mobil. Smart phones are great if want to have internet everywhere you go. The apps are a big plus too. You also have the ability to store music on the phone and use it as a sort of backup ipod. It all depends on what you want to do with the phone vs. how much you're willing to spend per month.
Muff #5048

the wife and i have verizon and our phones are a few years old and starting to act up. we were thinking of getting smartphones, but if i understand it correctly we would have to pay $30 a month more for each phone. this would nearly double our cell phone bill.

is this the norm? i see a lot of people with these smart phones that claim to be broke, so is there a cheaper way, or is that why they're broke? we would be willing to pay $30 more a month for 2 phones, but not $60. is this negotiable at a verizon store?

The $30 data plan for smartphones is the norm across most carriers, except Sprint, where it's incorporated into other plans (VZ and AT&T charge $29.99, T-Mobile is $34.99 -- basic comparo).

If you're only spending $60/ month now, you've been getting along with your feature phones pretty well. Taking the data charges aside, the functionality of a smart device from a feature phone is a significant leap.

A smartphone may not be up your alley, if you just want some basic improvements, look into what VZW calls the "3G multimedia" phones. Their data requirements is only $9.99 per month.

If you're not on contact, and you don't travel a lot, it's a good time to shop around. VZW is known to be more expensive, but those costs are so obviously reinvested to their network. T-Mobile and Sprint have more attractive price plans, but depending on where you are, coverage may be a problem. AT&T, they're more aligned with VZW pricewise. Their coverage overall is good, but they have been having network capacity issues in congested areas.

In the end, I think the smartphones are worth the money, but I use mine heavily for business (and debauchery with the BBM DZ.com group). If you choose to get one, consider your options carefully, there are lots of nice devices to choose from. It's no secret I'm a Blackberry fan. If I couldn't use that, I'd probably go with a Palm device with WebOS. After that, probably the HTC Imagio with WinMo (and TV), followed by Android or another WinMo device.
So I try and I scream and I beg and I sigh
Just to prove I'm alive, and it's alright
'Cause tonight there's a way I'll make light of my treacherous life
Make light!

What if you put Velcro on your iPhone? Would that be the best thing ever? Except for freefly?

Maybe you could velcro that freefly friendly patch someone is trying to push, onto your phone. Even with the velcro, that would fix it!:D

--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

I have a 3G Iphone and love it. I have my calendar on it, which syncs automatically over the internet to my google calendar, and my contacts sync over the air as well. I get my e-mail, can surf the internet, check my facebook, check snow conditions, etc all very easily. Texting is made easier with the conversation style setup - not to mention the awesomeness of being able to listen to music any time I have my phone.

I think its absolutely worth it - I can't imagine going back to a regular cell phone!

I'm a verizon smartphone user (posting this from my droid in bed) and I would suggest two things. Spend a month or so trying to take note of things where having a smart phone would be helpful. For me it's things like checking prices in stores against the competition, checking reviews, looking up directions, finding phone numbers without having to call 411, etc. I'm sure you could think of a bunch of things. I'm constntly having to remind myself of the fact that I can look stuff up. Take note of how much this happens, and how useful it would be to you to be able to use your phone too look things up.

If you've decided that this would be useful to you, don't forget that you have the option of buying smaller data plans. You can always start out on something short of the unlimited plan and then upgrade if you go over. Verizon has always been good to me about changing plans mid contract (without renewing) and retroactively applying the coverage to cancel out any overage charges.

A third thing to think about is that you can still get a lot of use out of many smartphones without a data plan. Wifi connections are useful in this case, and you can always use it as a dumb phone if you get tired of the bill.

Hope this helps. Feel free to PM me if you have and further questions.
A dolor netus non dui aliquet, sagittis felis sodales, dolor sociis mauris, vel eu libero cras. Interdum at. Eget habitasse elementum est.

A third thing to think about is that you can still get a lot of use out of many smartphones without a data plan. Wifi connections are useful in this case, and you can always use it as a dumb phone if you get tired of the bill.

Not the case with Verizon. They will not activate a "smart" phone on their network without a data plan.
Make light!

I was imagining him dropping the data plan after deciding it wasn't worth it rather than buying a phone with the intent of not using all it's features from the get go.
A dolor netus non dui aliquet, sagittis felis sodales, dolor sociis mauris, vel eu libero cras. Interdum at. Eget habitasse elementum est.

Not the case with Verizon. They will not activate a "smart" phone on their network without a data plan.

Funny I just noticed that yesterday. I'm due for an upgrade in March but I'm not enjoying the additional $29.95 data plan they force on you.
Please don't dent the planet.

Destinations by Roxanne

Funny I just noticed that yesterday. I'm due for an upgrade in March but I'm not enjoying the additional $29.95 data plan they force on you.

VZW's upcoming deal with Skype will soften the blow for those that use it. It's coming out in March. I'm pretty stoked. They're rolling out a Skype Mobile app across VZWs smartphone line up...my Blackberry is waiting patiently.
Make light!

i wouldn't mind paying another $30 a month if it covered both phones on our plan, but i just don't want to spend $30 per phone. i stopped in a verizon store to ask if there was any way they could cut me a deal, but the woman laughed at me. i guess we'll stick with our dumb phones.

www.kjandmegan.com

i wouldn't mind paying another $30 a month if it covered both phones on our plan, but i just don't want to spend $30 per phone. i stopped in a verizon store to ask if there was any way they could cut me a deal, but the woman laughed at me. i guess we'll stick with our dumb phones.

You would think they'd have a family plan for data plans just like they do for regular phone plans. [:/]
Adrenaline is my crack

DPH #3
D.S. #16 FAG #12 Muff Brother #4406

>You would think they'd have a family plan for data plans just like they
>do for regular phone plans.

Why? Data is pretty much a luxury, whereas many families think that having a phone for their kids (for emergencies) is worthwhile. Thus the family plan, which Verizon touts as a nice thing for them to do. Then when the kid uses it for more than that (which they always do) then Verizon gets to charge more, making them more money.

However, data is primarily for fun, and Verizon doesn't make any more money if you use the data service more heavily.

Blackberry with sprint here
Unlimited data $59.99 a month

Unlimited internet download upload, gps, text,e-mail, picture mail, mms..everything

Need to find any store or any other business?? search in the gps by category, name ... then you get directions option to call or whatever no operators to deal with, or any bullshit...

Music unlimited stream from pandora or mp3 your own

Weather any and all just one click away

Tv got about 30 or so basic channels weather chan, abc, nbc, espn, mtv, etc.

blackberry messenger..best IM

Hunting fishing solunar forecast showing peak times and tides for your spots just one click

Million apps whatever floats your boat

They can have my 60bucks I'm good with it...
if you want a friend feed any animal
Perry Farrell

That's why I mentioned that if you're not on contract, and depending on where you live, it may be worth shopping around. The good rule of thumb that many people choose to overlook is pick the network, then the phone. Too many do it the other way around and end up on the short end. In that you've not needed a high end device thus far, you've probably not identified a real need, and that will end up saving you money. Once you identify the need, finding the right device with the right carrier is time well spent, and use of that technology will be money well spent.
Make light!

we've had plenty of other carriers in the past and so far we've been happiest with verizon, which we have now. we're out of our contract, but whatever we do phonewise, we'll stay with verizon. as far as a need, we've identified one. when we're out and about, the gps and the ability to look up and find or call busnesses would be very nice. of course that could be taken care of by getting a gps for the car, but the idea of putting a gps in a car that already has a nav system in it just seams silly to me. (we have a toyota, but the maps are so old that it is nearly useless and last i heard it was north of $300 for updated dvds). we're going to new orleans this weekend, so we may think about just one of us getting a new phone after our nav system inevitable fucks us again.

www.kjandmegan.com

iphone is the greatest thing since velcro.....

btw, for those that don't know, ATT is matching verizons 69.99 unlimited talk plan, even though their not advertising it. Just call them, if you pay for their current unlimited plan. Heck, the guy even retro-ed it to the beginning of the billing cycle. If you have more than one iphone, it's even better. 69.99 for the first, and 49.99 for each additional phone. With 5 on our plan, (we use them for business), it saved us fully half on our bill.B|
What you say is reflective of your knowledge...HOW ya say it is reflective of your experience. Airtwardo

Someone's going to be spanked! Hopefully, it will be me. Skymama

we've had plenty of other carriers in the past and so far we've been happiest with verizon, which we have now. we're out of our contract, but whatever we do phonewise, we'll stay with verizon. as far as a need, we've identified one. when we're out and about, the gps and the ability to look up and find or call busnesses would be very nice. of course that could be taken care of by getting a gps for the car, but the idea of putting a gps in a car that already has a nav system in it just seams silly to me. (we have a toyota, but the maps are so old that it is nearly useless and last i heard it was north of $300 for updated dvds). we're going to new orleans this weekend, so we may think about just one of us getting a new phone after our nav system inevitable fucks us again.

Have you tried using Verizon's VZNavigator? It's avaailble for a monthly charge or by the day for a short trip. http://products.verizonwireless.com/index.aspx?id=fnd_navigator_features

POPS #10490

iphone is the greatest thing since velcro.....

btw, for those that don't know, ATT is matching verizons 69.99 unlimited talk plan, even though their not advertising it. Just call them, if you pay for their current unlimited plan. Heck, the guy even retro-ed it to the beginning of the billing cycle. If you have more than one iphone, it's even better. 69.99 for the first, and 49.99 for each additional phone. With 5 on our plan, (we use them for business), it saved us fully half on our bill.B|

Coverage is an issue in Idaho and carriers other than Verizon just don't cut it here.

POPS #10490