kruisekat824

Menu project for culinary school

So, I'm looking for some creative menu items for a culinary school project.

The base for the concept of my restaurant is skydiving. I have to come up with 13 menu items: appetizers, salads, entrees and desserts. I wish I could go check out some DZ restaurants but I won't be able to sooooo.... anybody with any experience or ideas for menu item names or anything that skydivers would want in a restaurant, please help me out.

Just looking for some ideas to get started with this project... Thanks!!

Locally we have a Skydiver margarita. It was designed with skydivers and a long night at our favorite mexican food restaurant (and we knew the owner).

1 shot top shelf Tequila (Tres Generations)
1 shot Triple Sec
2 shots Blue Caraco (sp?)
6-8 oz of fresh margarita mix (fresh hand made preferred).

Shake over ice to mix and serve on the rocks with salt.

This drink is very smooth and very dangerous, before you know it you've had 2 or 3 and then you find your self very intoxicated!
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

This drink is very smooth and very dangerous, before you know it you've had 2 or 3 and then you find your self very intoxicated!

Sound's like Psychobob's Psycho Punch. Except his recipe is simpler. Big orange cylinder cooler, empty a bottle of everclear, two 2-liter bottles of 7-UP or Sprite, and two 2-liter bottles of Hawaiian punch in the cooler and stir. (may not be exactly sure this is right)

Coupla cups later, BLAMMO! B|
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

Breakfast the next day after consuming a number of glasses of Skydiver Margarita is my favorite "Atomic Omelet."

6 eggs
1/4 cup of whole milk
1 can of Wolf Chili
1/2 white onion
4 jalapenos (sliced)
1/4 lbs of shredded cheddar cheese
1/4 cup of hot salsa
1/4lbs of sliced ham
Tabasco sauce (or your favorite hot sauce)
4 slices of American Cheese
1 tbsp of chili powder
1 tbsp of Cayenne pepper powder
salt
pepper

Start warming up the chili.

Break and beat the eggs, pour in 1/4 cup of whole milk and mix well. Add pepper and salt as well as the chili powder and Cayenne pepper powder.

Apply to frying pan to start cooking the omelet base.

Flip omelet once and add the ham, onions, salsa and jalapenos. Let cook and fold.

Put the American cheese slices on top of omelet, put the chili on top of that, put the cheddar cheese on top of the chili, add Tabasco sauce to taste and serve.

That will settle a hang-over stomach. It will also give you the opportunity to become the "most popular" guy in the jump plane around 7k!
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

Buffalo tenderloins made into a buffalo wellington.

Make sure you use some green peppercorns in a sauce, along with sauteed morels inside it.

Chicken breast rolled with prosciutto, provolone and spinach browned then lightly covered with a lemon butter sauce.

Halibut sauteed in a black iron skillet with EVOO, lemon, garlic and fresh ground black pepper.

Baby Stew
(Feeds four to six)

Ingredients:

* 1ea. -- Baby (either gender); about 12-14lbs (raw weight; will be around 3 or 4lbs when dressed)
* 4-6ea -- Medium potatoes
* 1bag -- Baby carrots (you'll get a lot of comments about the double-entendre here!)
* 4ea. -- Celery stalks
* 4-6 cloves -- Garlic
* 1/2tbsp - Salt
* 1/2tbsp - Pepper
* 1cup -- White wine (I prefer Chardonnay; I find it complements Baby fairly well).
* 1ea. -- Medium sweet onion
* 1/4cup -- Enbalmasalmic vinegar
* 4 tbsps -- Bitter herbs
* 1/4cup -- Worcestershire sauce
* 1/2cup -- Extra-virgin olive oil
* 6cups -- Water

1. Using one of two large cooking pots, start by cutting the baby-parts into 1" cubes.
2. With a little of the oil, start browning the baby-parts slowly. Add oil and baby as needed*.
3. In the second cooking pot, use the rest of your oil to brown the onion and the garlic together.
4. Deglaze both pots with 1/2 cup ea. of the white-wine.
5. While cooking the onion and garlic, quarter your potatoes (skin on makes for better flavor)
6. Add potatoes to the onion and the garlic.
7. Cut up your celery.
8. When potatoes are browned along with the onion and the garlic, add the remaining ingredients.
9. Stir well; bring to a slow, rolling boil.
10. Add cubed baby to the vegetable-pot.
11. Cover; cook for at least an hour on medium or until the liquid has reduced by at least 1/4.

Kris,

Here are some names,

The D.B. Cooper, maybe a quick burger and fries basket.

The Boeing, a steak meal or something

The PLF, that could just be a BLT

If you did breakfast you could cook the eggs occordingly. Sunnyside up could be head down etc

i am not sure how classy you are trying to make this but at least a few idea's.

And I say if you want a really good drink, name is hypoxia.
There is a fine line between being a hopeless romantic and a stalker

Baby Stew
(Feeds four to six)

Ingredients:

* 1ea. -- Baby (either gender); about 12-14lbs (raw weight; will be around 3 or 4lbs when dressed)
* 4-6ea -- Medium potatoes
* 1bag -- Baby carrots (you'll get a lot of comments about the double-entendre here!)
* 4ea. -- Celery stalks
* 4-6 cloves -- Garlic
* 1/2tbsp - Salt
* 1/2tbsp - Pepper
* 1cup -- White wine (I prefer Chardonnay; I find it complements Baby fairly well).
* 1ea. -- Medium sweet onion
* 1/4cup -- Enbalmasalmic vinegar
* 4 tbsps -- Bitter herbs
* 1/4cup -- Worcestershire sauce
* 1/2cup -- Extra-virgin olive oil
* 6cups -- Water

1. Using one of two large cooking pots, start by cutting the baby-parts into 1" cubes.
2. With a little of the oil, start browning the baby-parts slowly. Add oil and baby as needed*.
3. In the second cooking pot, use the rest of your oil to brown the onion and the garlic together.
4. Deglaze both pots with 1/2 cup ea. of the white-wine.
5. While cooking the onion and garlic, quarter your potatoes (skin on makes for better flavor)
6. Add potatoes to the onion and the garlic.
7. Cut up your celery.
8. When potatoes are browned along with the onion and the garlic, add the remaining ingredients.
9. Stir well; bring to a slow, rolling boil.
10. Add cubed baby to the vegetable-pot.
11. Cover; cook for at least an hour on medium or until the liquid has reduced by at least 1/4.

Ahh, thats one of my favourite recipes, but,
Instead of using diced baby I prefere whole baby, broiled till it can be quarterd with a dinner plate

Gone fishing

Wow. Somehow I think if she put "Baby Stew" on her project menu, the grade wouldn't be all that high:)

Seriously - Menu Items -

Small portions, easy to eat (wraps, sandwiches and "finger food"), not messy, easy to digest (not greasy or "heavy") and most importantly NOT GAS PRODUCING no beans, broccoli or anything like that.

Not so seriously - Names for items -

Flying names, famous DZ names, famous skydiver names. You may have to include a "fact sheet" so the instructor understands what "Perris Poppers" or "Ranch Sauce" or "Cross Keys Crunch" means.

Alternatively "splat", "Thud", "bounce", ect.

Call wraps "total mals", scrambled eggs "no pull" stuff like that.

"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

Buffalo tenderloins made into a buffalo wellington.(TM in a Container)

Make sure you use some green peppercorns in a sauce, along with sauteed morels inside it.

Chicken breast rolled with prosciutto, provolone and spinach browned then lightly covered with a lemon butter sauce.(Whuffo)

Halibut sauteed in a black iron skillet with EVOO, lemon, garlic and fresh ground black pepper.(Jumping for the Hell of it)

Venison Stroganoff (Keep the fucking deer off the runway)

Garlic Bagel with Lox, cream cheese, heirloom tomato, red oinion, sea salt and black pepper. (Jew Bag);):P

Scrambled eggs, Chorizo, chipotles and chihuahua cheese, (The Gomei)

A half ounce of hydroponic buds, a bong with cool clean mineral water, Mandarin Orange juice and ibuprofen on the side (Nationals Breakfast buffet)

The "Meat-Bomb" sub...
Morbid? Perhaps... I'm assuming that your targeted clientele includes those non-skydiving types to whom this might hold greater appeal.

Or The "Popsjumper"
AGED gristly meat thinly sliced and piled high, served with a generous dollop of "back when I loaned Jesus that money" sauce
You can't make chicken salad out of chicken manure.

So, I'm looking for some creative menu items for a culinary school project.

The base for the concept of my restaurant is skydiving. I have to come up with 13 menu items: appetizers, salads, entrees and desserts. I wish I could go check out some DZ restaurants but I won't be able to sooooo.... anybody with any experience or ideas for menu item names or anything that skydivers would want in a restaurant, please help me out.

Just looking for some ideas to get started with this project... Thanks!!

How about sometihng like four-way fritters (serving four of them with perhaps four dipping sauces).... King Air Crab... Otter Wings...

Just a couple ideas...
Kim Mills
USPA D21696
Tandem I, AFF I and Static Line I

The log cabin style restaurant Sammie's Touch N Go at the Pell City airport near me has a load of dishes with aviation names. My favorite is the Stearman, a steak sandwich on a hoagie.
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

Hmmm, I think the baby stew might be a hit... I'll let you guys know how that goes ;)

Thanks for all the suggestions so far... there's a lot of stuff I didn't think of. I like the hangover cures and stuff that isn't too heavy so there will be less gas issues during the ride up. The restaurant is gonna be good, fairly inexpensive food that won't take to long to make. I'm thinking about some international themed dishes since jumpers come from all over.

Anyway, I really like the suggestions, hope to hear some more :)

In Deland, I see a lot of people with Jalopeno Poppers, Swoop Burgers and Wraps. We had a chef there who made fancier food that was a little more expensive. While everyone liked it, they didn't want to pay the higher prices. I think keeping it simple would be more in line with most skydivers at the dz.
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

In Deland, I see a lot of people with Jalopeno Poppers, Swoop Burgers and Wraps. We had a chef there who made fancier food that was a little more expensive. While everyone liked it, they didn't want to pay the higher prices. I think keeping it simple would be more in line with most skydivers at the dz.

I think Deland has the best dz food I have yet to come across... yummmy!
Kim Mills
USPA D21696
Tandem I, AFF I and Static Line I