Andy_Copland

American Police Procedure

What did he pull you over for? I find it strange that a cop would tell you to go home after a traffic stop.

Officer discretion is a beautiful thing. ;)

It's even more beautiful if you don't have tits.
:|
I'm just sayin'.

Or 'sometimes' ... if they do...... but only 'sometimes'

(.)Y(.)
Chivalry is not dead; it only sleeps for want of work to do. - Jerome K Jerome

Here in OZ they would have Hammered me, $750 fine and probably loss of licence

$750 for 20 over? HOLY SHIT!

Most states that's reckless driving and arrest. I got a 30 over a couple yrs. back and the cop (chp motorcycle) was cold and let me go. No id, no insurance on me. Only cost a grand at the courthouse. Gladly paid.
I hold it true, whate'er befall;
I feel it, when I sorrow most;
'Tis better to have loved and lost
Than never to have loved at all.

Here in OZ they would have Hammered me, $750 fine and probably loss of licence

$750 for 20 over? HOLY SHIT!

For 45kms (28mph) over the limit they can and do impound your car on the spot.
a Lamborghini owner had his car impounded when a mechanic got pinged doing 50kpm over the limit.
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

***If you are legally detained (you're the driver in a traffic stop for instance), then that officer has the legal right to identify you. Name, birthday and address...
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

This has always been understood. However, there have been some frightening examples of cops who think they have the right to check ID's of all passengers, or stop a guy & ask questions & demand ID because he's out walking along the side of the road late at night. During my radio days I regularly read police reports and began noticing this stuff. I have concluded that the reason a rural police department needs a K-9 unit is to deal with window tint violations and out of state drivers who fail to signal a lane change.

Or could it be that they know these random searches are illegal and are trying to cover them up? They'd be much more honest by writing "...I saw the guy and just wanted to check him out and see if I could find anything..." rather than go through the motions of claiming the whole thing began with a traffic violation.

What the hell type of training are these guys receiving that allows them to believe they have the right to treat people this way? More to the point, why would they want to?

...I was pulled over for taking my seatbelt off while pulling into a gas station...
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Talk about petty! One more reason seat belt laws are plain wrong. Why would a cop even want to stop a guy for this?

When these laws started popping up in the 1980's we were assurred that cops would not use this law as a reason to stop people, etc. Suddenly I had lights in my mirror one perplexed morning in 1985. Turns out I was wearing my lap belt, but not the visible shoulder harness because it didn't work properly.

Our once-free nation is becoming a totalitarian police state. This is what happens when liberals win elections. Details coming soon on a Speaker's Corner thread near you.

Cheers,
Jon S.

Riding back to Sebastian DZ one evening following a beach jump and the associated drinking, I was in the back seat and a couple of drunken Brits were in the front. A cop pulled us over and asked the driver for his license. I figured we were toast. The Brit pulled out a large document that looked like the Magna Carta, full of official seals and stamps. The cop took one look at it and probably figured this would be a paperwork nightmare. He sent us on our way. Woo Hoo ! :)

So what does it mean if a cop takes your details but doesn't give you a ticket, he said he was cutting me loose and to go straight home?

Will i get a surprise one "AHA! Thought you got away with it eh sonny Jim!"

As long as you did that little heel-toe dance along the white line and recite the alphabet backwards you got nuttin to worry about.

So what does it mean if a cop takes your details but doesn't give you a ticket, he said he was cutting me loose and to go straight home?

As long as you did that little heel-toe dance along the white line and recite the alphabet backwards you got nuttin to worry about.

When I was about 21 years old, a bunch of us were in a car that was pulled over for suspicion of DWI on Long Beach Island, NJ.

The driver of a car probably would've blown hot but since he asked the cop if he could be sent on his way if he successfully walked
around his car on his hands and the cop agreed... well, then we were off to the next bar in 10 minutes with the driver happy and
not drinking a drop of alcohol the rest of the night. It scared him!!

;)
Always be kinder than you feel.

I followed his pen, i counted my fingers 3 times, i did the alphabet "without singing it" and when i got to the heel to toe thing....well it wasnt pretty. Starting was the hardest, i was fine once i got into my stride :D

I gave him my FAI license from Europe and i think it went over his head of "fuck this, hes nearly home anyway."

Park the car and walk. Lucky stars oh yea

People aint made of nothin' but water and shit.

Until morale improves, the beatings will continue.

I followed his pen, i counted my fingers 3 times, i did the alphabet "without singing it" and when i got to the heel to toe thing....well it wasnt pretty. Starting was the hardest, i was fine once i got into my stride :D

I gave him my FAI license from Europe and i think it went over his head of "fuck this, hes nearly home anyway."

Wow!...park the car and walk? That never happens in my part of Ohio. You are a lucky boy.
Please don't dent the planet.

Destinations by Roxanne

Ok. That makes a lot more sense. I'm guessing he felt that you were borderline, and a little under.

Taking you in and testing you and booking you and all that for a case he thinks won't go is a waste of his time and he knows it.

He still got you off the road, he kept the public safe, and was able to go back to his job faster.

BUT - I'll make a large bet that he kept an eye on your car the rest of the night. And I'll make a larger bet that if he had seen you driving it later on that you'd be asking how to defend an OWI citation instead of asking what "Cutting me loose" means.

Lucky?? I hope you bought a lottery ticket on your way home:)
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

It also has a lot to do with how you treat the Cop, treat him with respect, (Don't kiss his ass, that makes them think you are hiding something) Just be polite, and Generally speaking, they will return the curtesy!...
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Well said.

I have been treated poorly by cops in situations where I hadn't done anything wrong, and I was offended. Still, these were minor incidents that did not result in my arrest.

While I do not live a lifestyle that could result in serious legal problems, I have been stopped a few times while driving during the past 34 years. Minor violations. I could have received tickets but mostly didn't. I was honest & polite, it might have been a factor. And I reciprocated their courtesy by taking seriously the warning and not blowing them off.

The test came in 1997 when I was stopped by a radar bike cop while doing 45mph in a 40 zone. I was perplexed until he said he caught me doing 63. Stunned, I said he was mistaken , as I didn't drive like that as a teenager and I don't drive like that now.

Once he began filling out the ticket I stopped explaining why he was wrong and focused on procedural matters. What could I expect, what did he think my chances would be, etc. He said it might depend on what the judge thinks of me calling hm a liar. I said "No. If you say your radar showed 63 I take you at your word. But I didn't make it do that."

(Later I realized what probably happened: About a mile back I turned right onto this road as a large Blazer-type vehicle was waiting to turn left onto the same road. As I rounded the bend into the cop radar the Blazer-dude caught up and tripped the radar thingy. Did I mention I was driving a Camaro? The radar most likely picked up the Blazer profile. Meanwhile the cop saw "63," looked up, and the first car he saw was a Camaro...)

The nice proseutor lady offered a real nice deal: $50 and no license demerits. I said I appreciated the offer, but that I was not guilty and would like to speak with the judge. They gave me another invitation, rather than address the matter that day.

Next time I was waiting and thought I saw the cop in the hallway off to the side, looking into the room and (seeming) to notice me. He appeared to have the same build, etc., but without the bike helmet I couldn't be sure it was him. I was prepared to show the judge my 8x10 color glossies of the crime scene, with the circles & arrows and paragraphs on the back of each one explaining why I didn't deserve to be convicted of this accusation. Then, they called me: "Airman 1270" (or whatever court pseudonym they use...)

I approached the nice lady judge with my large envelope of evidence, only to be stopped by something like "The witness against you is not here and you're free to go..." I almost said "Wait - he's here, I saw him a minute ago..." but instead I just said thanks and left.

Of course, if I had had several speeding convictions in the previous dozen years they might not have been so nice about it. I suspect this was their way of dealing with a situation where an innocent guy had been falsely accused, without the burden of placing an aquittal on the prosecutor's record.

Cheers,
Jon

Riding back to Sebastian DZ one evening following a beach jump and the associated drinking, I was in the back seat and a couple of drunken Brits were in the front. A cop pulled us over and asked the driver for his license. I figured we were toast. The Brit pulled out a large document that looked like the Magna Carta, full of official seals and stamps. The cop took one look at it and probably figured this would be a paperwork nightmare. He sent us on our way. Woo Hoo ! :)

That reminds me, I'm a Brit whose lived in Spain for over twenty years and I always kept my toilet paper type british licence,
The Spanish police take one look and just send me on my way. The advantage of the British licence is that mine dosent
expire till I'm 65.

Gone fishing

We all carry original copies of the Magana Carta (with wax seals and red ribbons) - it's the law - especially when tgravelling in the colonies:P

lol. thanksB|

Last dui I got (20 yrs. ago) the cop said count to 10. I made it to 1. Cuffed and stuffed. Then he was really pissed when I handed him his handcuffs at the police station when he let me out of the car. And don't the judge to "FUCK OFF" on video. [:/]