birdshit

Wanting to sell my gear, but terrified of getting scammed

What is the best way to go about selling my gear on here? I know western union is bad, and checks are bad, but can anybody suggest the best payment method that will minimize the likelihood of getting ripped off?

I have:
a black helmet - used 4 times for 75
alti-2 glow in the dark - used 4 times for 75ish
protrack - only used 4 times for 250

Thanks! -paul

There's nothing wrong with Western Union. From a buyer's perspective it's a little suspicious because there's no way to get the money back, but for a seller it's fine. It's pretty expensive for the stuff you are selling.

US Postal money orders. Usually pretty cheap and reliable.

Personal Checks. Make sure the seller knows you are going to wait until it clears before shipping stuff. Usually 7-10 business days.

I've never used PayPal, but I understand it's fairly secure. There's a few quirks to it (Read the rules).

Read the "scam" articles on the classified page. To be honest, the stuff you are selling isn't going to have a whole lot of attraction for the scammers. Not enough value.

You could always get references from the buyer, most of the time there will be someone you and the buyer have in common.

Don't be too surprised if a potential buyer asks you for references if you are requiring payment before shipment.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

Hi bs,

I've sold some similar stuff here. I would use a rigger or dz at the buyer's end.

So far that has worked for both parties [ keeps fingers crossed ]. [:/]

JerryBaumchen

I agree with the above. I just recently sold my gear and this worked beautifully for me.

Good luck!
g
"Let's do something romantic this Saturday... how bout we bust out the restraints?"
Raddest Ho this side of Jersey #1 - MISS YOU
OMG, is she okay?

I bought my main from the classifieds on dropzone.com. I had been messaging the seller for a while and originally I wanted to buy it I told him I didn't have enough money to buy it. So he was trying to sell it to another person but it fell through. So he sent me another email around a month later, and I told him I was ready to buy it....and he sent the main about the time I sent the check to him. My check arrived to him around the time the main arrived at my place and I was happy. However I cant say that all transactions take place like that here, but just to show you that not EVERYONE on here is out to screw you over.

-------------------------------
Another thing: this person had actually jumped this canopy at the Collegiate Nationals and he knew a few people at Spaceland...and his team got the gold in the 4-way advanced so I saw his face and picture so I knew it was as close to legit as I could get.

just to show you that not EVERYONE on here is out to screw you over.

Agree. I successfully sold both my main and reserve (and originally purchased my main) on DZ.com classifieds.

Both people fortunately were willing to pay via PayPal first and I shipped within one day of confirmed payment.

I sell a LOT of stuff on Craigslist (I LOVE Craigslist) and sometimes Ebay.

"Cash only" is my philosophy unless it is a smaller-enough amount of money or not-so-important to me to loose. Generally speaking however, if one has the money to buy, one should be able to get, wire or transfer the cash to purchase. I recently went to a grocery store on a Sunday to have them mark $5k worth of bills from a buyer/with the buyer for me. Rarely is "cash" not good, but if you are local, might as well go somewhere together and confirm it.

When it comes to money, I don't play. Luckily, I am an honest person (can't sleep if I feel even remotely questionable :S) so most people trust me way more than I would ever trust them--or pretty much anyone else, for that matter.

Bottomline is: If you do not_need_to sell your gear, then you have the power to make the arrangements you are most comfortable with.
Paint me in a corner, but my color comes back.

Hi bs,

I've sold some similar stuff here. I would use a rigger or dz at the buyer's end.

So far that has worked for both parties [ keeps fingers crossed ]. [:/]

JerryBaumchen

That doesn't work so well when the rigger is buddies with the buyer, (very likely), and just gives it to the buyer.>:(
PayPal is a safer bet.
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

Contact the dz you used to jump at. I'd bet they know of a new jumper who'd love to buy the stuff off you, or they might even want it. You're not likely to get ripped off in a face to face transaction.

You could also have one of the gear dealers that sell used gear sell it on consignment for you. You get less money but you also get less hassles.