Amazon

The Pacific Rim is ROCKIN it...8.8 Magnitude

http://www.seattlepi.com/national/1102ap_lt_chile_earthquake.html

SANTIAGO, Chile -- An 8.3-magnitude earthquake struck southern Chile early Saturday, the U.S. Geological Survey reported. A tsunami warning was issued.

The quake hit 197 miles (317 kilometers) southwest of the capital, Santiago, and at a depth of 36.9 miles (59.4 kilometers) at 3:34 a.m. (0634 GMT; 1:34 a.m. EST).

The Pacific Tsunami Warning Center issued a warning for Chile and Peru, and a less-urgent tsunami watch for Ecuador.

"An earthquake of this size has the potential to generate a destructive tsunami that can strike coastlines near the epicenter within minutes and more distant coastlines within hours," the center said.

The U.S. west coast tsunami warning center said it did not expect a tsunami along the west of the U.S. or Canada but was continuing to monitor the situation.

Edit to add...http://earthquake.usgs.gov/eqcenter/recenteqsww/ check out the last hour in CA...too..4.3... like I said.. its a rockinthey upped the 8.3 to 8.8 WOW...I wonder what the dawn will bring down there.[:/]

My father is in Argentina right now. He flew in to Santiago on Wednesday and we haven't heard from him since. I need to find out how far over the mountains in Arg. he was going.:|

Never look down on someone, unless they are going down on you.

The Tsunami is now less than 90 minutes from Hawaii. The Navy is sending their ships out to sea from Peal Harbor, and all coastal military installations are being evacuated.

Wave size (not a great predictor of wave power) is expected to be between 2 and 7 feet.

I just missed the 1975 Tsunami in Hawaii leaving about a week before it occurred. And like that one Hilo on the big island will probably get the worst of it again this time. Hopefully the waves won't be too bad. New Zealand will be watching Hawaii very carefully as they are next up on the hit parade . . .

NickD :|

The Tsunami is now less than 90 minutes from Hawaii. The Navy is sending their ships out to sea from Peal Harbor, and all coastal military installations are being evacuated.

Wave size (not a great predictor of wave power) is expected to be between 2 and 7 feet.

I just missed the 1975 Tsunami in Hawaii leaving about a week before it occurred. And like that one Hilo on the big island will probably get the worst of it again this time. Hopefully the waves won't be too bad. New Zealand will be watching Hawaii very carefully as they are next up on the hit parade . . .

NickD :|

My understanding is that the 2' to 7' wave heights are the amplitude of the waves as they propagate across the open ocean. Various wave amplitudes and periods are forcast for different beaches. I think they will be much higher at landfall, depending on the geography of the near-shore ocean bottom. (Hope I'm wrong about that!) Another thing I haven't heard mentioned is that, although the 1960 9.5 quake was much larger, it's epicenter was several miles inland. The wave that hit Hilo had a "runup height" of 35'. Today's quake occurred a few miles offshore and I would think it would have more effect on the generation of waves. Maybe not!?
What an amazing display of nature's power!

http://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes/world/events/1960_05_22.php

The Tsunami will approach from the Southeast so Dillingham on the North Shore is sort of protected.

But they are now talking a series of waves lasting several hours rather than a few individual large waves. It will be more like the whole ocean raising up and moving inland. So I wouldn't say any low lying coastal area is safe.

Ed's probably waxing up his surf board, LOL!

Less than an hour now . . .

NickD

Attached is the most recent TSUNAMI WARNING SUPPLEMENT for Hawaii.

Copied this part for here:

A TSUNAMI IS A SERIES OF LONG OCEAN WAVES. EACH INDIVIDUAL WAVE CREST CAN LAST 5 TO 15 MINUTES OR MORE AND EXTENSIVELY FLOOD COASTAL AREAS. THE DANGER CAN CONTINUE FOR MANY HOURS AFTER THE INITIAL WAVE AS SUBSEQUENT WAVES ARRIVE. TSUNAMI WAVE HEIGHTS CANNOT BE PREDICTED AND THE FIRST WAVE MAY NOT BE THE LARGEST. TSUNAMI WAVES EFFICIENTLY WRAP AROUND ISLANDS. ALL SHORES ARE AT RISK NO MATTER WHICH DIRECTION THEY FACE. THE TROUGH OF A TSUNAMI WAVE MAY TEMPORARILY EXPOSE THE SEAFLOOR BUT THE AREA WILL QUICKLY FLOOD AGAIN. EXTREMELY STRONG AND UNUSUAL NEARSHORE CURRENTS CAN ACCOMPANY A TSUNAMI. DEBRIS PICKED UP AND CARRIED BY A TSUNAMI AMPLIFIES ITS DESTRUCTIVE POWER. SIMULTANEOUS HIGH TIDES OR HIGH SURF CAN SIGNIFICANTLY INCREASE THE TSUNAMI HAZARD.

It's your life, live it!
RB#684 "Corcho", ASK#60, Muff#3520, NCB#398, NHDZ#4, C-33989, DG#1

15 minutes till the first waves hit
http://forecast.weather.gov/showsigwx.php?warnzone=HIZ027&warncounty=HIC001&firewxzone=HIZ027&local_place1=9+Miles+NNE+Ocean+View+HI&product1=Special+Weather+Statement

ALTHOUGH EXACT TSUNAMI HEIGHTS CANNOT BE PREDICTED...THE PACIFIC TSUNAMI
WARNING CENTER ESTIMATES THE FOLLOWING WAVE HEIGHTS AND INITIAL
ARRIVAL TIMES FOR THE FOLLOWING LOCATIONS:

HILO HARBOR 1105 AM HST 6.8 - 8.2 FEET
HONOLULU HARBOR 1137 AM HST 1.6 - 2.3 FEET
KAHULUI HARBOR 1126 AM HST 3.6 - 9.8 FEET
NAWILILI HARBOR 1142 AM HST 2.9 - 4.6 FEET
HALEIWA HARBOR 1.6 - 3.6 FEET
KAWAIHAE HARBOR 1.9 - 5.2 FEET

Remster

Live feed of Wikiki's beach. Looks like the same there.

Hilo reporting predicted 8 foot waves.
http://www.honoluluadvertiser.com/article/99999999/MOGULUS02/399990001&template=mogulus

edit to add, guess their servers are overwhelmed as they are down now. Here's another link for Hilo
http://mashable.com/2010/02/27/hawaii-tsunami-warning/

Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon

My father is in Argentina right now. He flew in to Santiago on Wednesday and we haven't heard from him since. I need to find out how far over the mountains in Arg. he was going.:|

I hope you are able to reach him. I'm sure communications are down due to the quake. Thoughts and prayers to you and your family.