agentsmith413

which would you rather have?

So I had this discussion with a friend and I personally would rather have a job I absolutely love and just get by financially over a job I hate making boatloads of money. I personally think id be happier in life having a job I love and just get by.

Let's also assume, for the sake of the poll, that you are going to be at said job until its time to retire (no early retirement either). With the job you love you aren't broke but you can't do all the things you would like to do. with the job you hate, you literally despise it. For discussions sake let's also assume that for either job benefits are similar to what one could expect from a similar job.

Ok go.
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, all used up, and loudly proclaiming: Wow, what a ride!

Ok, I guess I'm alone on the poll, for now at least. Here's my reasoning.

I've been there, doing the job I loved but just barely getting by. Though the job was great, constantly worrying about bills took away any enjoyment I got from working. It became a chore living day by day. 8 to 10 hours at work would have been fine, and enjoyable, except the worries and stress of the home life ended up carrying over at work, and made it a chore too, even though I loved it!

Now, I do know how to save, and can do it quite well so...

if the job I love just gets me by, and the job a hate makes me a LOT of money (as you stated), give me the money. You said I would be there until I retired. Well, since I'm making a whole lot more money, and will be saving the excess, I will also be retiring earlier. At this point, since I am retired and financially secure, I can do what I REALLY want to do, NOTHING!
It's your life, live it!
RB#684 "Corcho", ASK#60, Muff#3520, NCB#398, NHDZ#4, C-33989, DG#1

Well, since I'm making a whole lot more money, and will be saving the excess, I will also be retiring earlier. At this point, since I am retired and financially secure, I can do what I REALLY want to do, NOTHING!

The rules were you can't retire early. No cheating! ;)
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, all used up, and loudly proclaiming: Wow, what a ride!

Well, since I'm making a whole lot more money, and will be saving the excess, I will also be retiring earlier. At this point, since I am retired and financially secure, I can do what I REALLY want to do, NOTHING!

The rules were you can't retire early. No cheating! ;)

I'm not cheating. I plan on retiring by age 50, sooner if i can. That's MY timeline, and that's what I'm working for. "Early" retirement is a government supplied arbitrary age/number.
It's your life, live it!
RB#684 "Corcho", ASK#60, Muff#3520, NCB#398, NHDZ#4, C-33989, DG#1

Funny you should ask. If I hate the job because of the stress, then yes, I would take the lovable job + average income. Work stress ruins my quality of life and is very hard for me to manage.

If I hate the job because of some other factor... environment, boss, responsibilities, not challenging enough, then I would keep the crappy job + great income and learn to deal. Turn it into a game of some sort. It's amazing what I can overcome when I look at something as simply a game and not a 'crappy job'.

But that's just me.

I love what I do. I love going to the office and really making a difference. This was my first year in business, so, I didn't make a whole lot and after buying all the supplies and equipment/machinery I ended up not making anything. but, it was good. Thank god I'm out of my old office now (landlord was an ass) and I'm moving on up!! I never feel that I'm working (except with one crazy nutter). I've worked where I've banked, and absolutely hated waking up in the morning to go. B|

If you disbelieve everything because we cannot certainly know all things, we shall do much-what as wisely as he would not use his legs, but sit still and perish because he had no wings to fly.-JL

No one ever said you had to choose, if you think you do, you're just too much of a pussy to take matters in your own hands.

Of course, but the question is an intentional false dichotomy. I make good money doing something I love too.

However say some kind of conspiracy was arranged against me and I could only choose from the options in the poll. I'd take the scraping by doing something I love option.

I started my own company, now I do what I love and make plenty of money.

No one ever said you had to choose, if you think you do, you're just too much of a pussy to take matters in your own hands.

BINGO~!!!

I've worked a job I hated that I turned into a job I loved by working hard and changing both the employment conditions and my expectations, which made life tolerable.

Then~

Stashing away boatloads of money allows the freedom to eventually DO something you love/want to do.

And as stated above, when you create your OWN job so to speak, you really aren't 'working' the the normal sense.

And interesting side-note, I have a friend that came into a bit over a million $ that was unexpected.

He did splurge and improve his living conditions / quality of life marginally, but for the most part because he loves his job and the people he works with...he's still punching a time clock. at a 45 grand a year factory position.

I thought it was funny because he & I use to fantasize about what we'd do with a million bucks...turns out for him anyway- new carpeting, a hi-def TV, and some long put off dental work made his life 'perfect'! B|

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

I switched careers a couple of years ago and haven't looked back.

After years of Project Managing various Industrial Construction Projects (primarily Oil and Gas), I started teaching Construction Management at the College Level. It had been in the back of my mind to do "later on" in my career. After hitting the wall hard a few years ago, an opening presented itself at the local college and I made the switch.

One of the better moves I have made as my quality of live has improved tremendously, along with my health and morale.

One of the surprises, has been that there is quite the shortage in qualified (i.e experienced) instructors in my field, so I have been picking up more and more side gigs. While I am not making the coin I did when I was project Managing, it is more than "enough" to do what I want to do and I have plenty of time off in the summer to do it.

Far better than losing a year "up north" working when I should be skydiving....

There is the phrase -
"Do what you love and do it well enough that someone will pay you"

You dont know how true it is until you do it!! :)
Blue ones,

Major Dad
CSPA D-579

I had a job I grew to hate and it was pure misery. I stayed in it for ten years longer than I should have before I got out. Ultimately, it wasn't worth the money. I wish I had done something else.:|

Skydivers don't knock on Death's door. They ring the bell and runaway... It really pisses him off.
-The World Famous Tink. (I never heard of you either!!)
AA #2069 ASA#33 POPS#8808 Swooo 1717

I've had the 1st option and quit that job to go to School then University so i could attain the 2nd option.

18years ago after i had been clean from drugs and booze for 2 year (20yrs CnS this year:)
I was asked what do you want to be doing when you are forty, where do you want to be?

My reply was simple,
I want to be working in a job that I like.

So that was my long term goal. 29 years old and in just over 10 years I'll be 40..will i be forty and working in the same job i loath or 40 and working in a place that makes ME feel good about my work.

I went to night school and graduated high (left school at 15 to join the RAN), Got accepted into a Science degree at University, did Post Grad work in Education. started working as a teacher. Moved to working with "at risk" kids.

When i turned 40 I was working with these kids and loving my job, the pay was way less than i had earn previously but my QUALITY OF LIFE was WAY better.

I've been teaching now for 10 years and in that time there has not been one day where i have awaken with the thought of "i dont want to go to work today".

I will NEVER again work in a place that does not make me feel good. :)

You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

I spent most of my time doing a job that I loved, and made lots of money at; (deep sea diving.) I would have been happy with less money.
Oddly enough, others did the same job just for the money, and hated it.
After that, I started a computer business, and made a lot of money with it. When I got tired of it and quit liking it, I went broke.
So I'd say do what you like.
But what do I know?