bertusgeert

Calling after Job Application?

So, I sent in an application for a job I believe I am well qualified for. When I didn't hear back in a couple of weeks (but still saw the job posted), I found the manager's name and gave him a call, leaving a message: I would like to introduce myself, see where they are in the recruiting process, and mentioned that I am very enthusiastic about the position (I am).

This is at a small I-bank, where persistence & hard work is valued.

Now, I have read that persistence have worked for some people, but how often should I call back - I just called again, and no answer, again.

If it's lost, it's lost, and I can't really mess it up. But I don't want to ruin it if there's a still a chance.

---------------------------------------------
As jy dom is moet jy bloei!

Random job application and not actually a friend of the guy?

If you called ONCE, then they know you're determined.
If you called more than once, they know you're a pest.

If you already sent in an app AND called them . . . they know you're interested. If they were interested, they'd have already called you back. Move along and don't dwell on this one. It's a waste of spirit.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

Wow I actually am about to agree with Quade, (a miracle indeed) But I was unemployed for about 6 months earlier this year and for every resume I posted it was attached with a cover letter, and I kept the cover letters and would call back after a week or so. So Quade is right...call once and unless they call back its best to leave it at that...

I agree with the above posts. after being unemployed for almost a year and involved with multiple interviews it is apparent that no response should be interpreted as a negative response.

Unfortunately, a lack of a response has been developed as defense mechanism by companies and should not be taken personally. Although that is generally not much consolation to the unemployed. Keep trying.

I've always felt it is better to follow up with a formal letter. It will likely make it to the desk of the intended recipient and not go as easily dismissed as a quick voice mail. Letters should especially be sent out after an interview.
*I am not afraid of dying... I am afraid of missing life.*
----Disclaimer: I don't know shit about skydiving.----

Good opinions, i'll keep looking. Thanks.

NEVER stop looking till you've accepted a written offer. Too many people approach the job search that way - one opportunity at a time. It's a numbers game till you've signed on the dotted line. Instead, get out there, network, talk to as many people as you can in your industry (and outside of it, too). Let everyone you know from your postman to the gal who makes your lattes know that you're looking for a job. You'll never know who knows the person who can connect you to your next job. For jobs that are listed, you should do exactly what you did on this one - do your best to connect directly to the hiring manager. Even better if you can do that through an introduction so you're not "cold calling."
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke