RALFFERS

Problems with Blackboard website

Anyone else use Blackboard.com to take college classes online.

Every time I actually intend on doing work I get some kind of error; but when I check sometime if it works [but I don't have time to sit down & do whatever] it works...

This is really starting to tick me off! >:(
Dialogue/commentary between Divot, Twardo & myself -

"from your first Oshkosh when the three of us were riding to or from one of

For me, Blackboard has always worked just fine, but I know a lot of students that have trouble dealing with various modules of it. I have never had a class where it has successfully worked for 100% of the students. We've always used it as a supplement and if a person can get on it and use it with others that's awesome, but my feeling is that no class should ever rely on it 100% because it's just flakey.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

For me, Blackboard has always worked just fine, but I know a lot of students that have trouble dealing with various modules of it. I have never had a class where it has successfully worked for 100% of the students. We've always used it as a supplement and if a person can get on it and use it with others that's awesome, but my feeling is that no class should ever rely on it 100% because it's just flakey.

I agree with you completely. Right now, I'm taking a CIS 120 [Intro to computers] (EASY A) & Psychiatric rehabilitation 101 (the latter actually is important) - because it only meets in the classroom every other week). My CIS class meets once a week. Unfortunately, with both of these classes, ALL the work is online! :S[:/]

I agree with you completely. Right now, I'm taking a CIS 120 [Intro to computers] (EASY A) & Psychiatric rehabilitation 101 (the latter actually is important) - because it only meets in the classroom every other week). My CIS class meets once a week. Unfortunately, with both of these classes, ALL the work is online! :S[:/]

No wonder your having problems :D:P;)

Seriously, BB sucks. I never liked using that service when I was in school. Good luck!
"Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest" ~Samuel Clemens

MB#4300
Dudeist Skydiver #68

Seriously, BB sucks. I never liked using that service when I was in school. Good luck!

That settles it than - all concur [both teachers & students] that blackboard sucks donkey balls.

I'm going to e-mail this thread to my professors as proof of why I can't get any work done.

Does your school have it's own portal you can login and go through? When I was at Xavier I always had trouble accessing Blackboard directly, but if I went through the XU portal first I had no problems.
"If this post needs to be moderated I would prefer it to be completly removed and not edited and butchered into a disney movie" - DorkZone Hero

That settles it than - all concur [both teachers & students] that blackboard sucks donkey balls.

I'm going to e-mail this thread to my professors as proof of why I can't get any work done.

We canned Black-bored and WebCT last year..very expensive and crappy
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

I am also taking CIS 120 and i agree it is an easy A. I am also taking my first ever class that is entirely online and I'm bit disappointed with the format. The instructor does no instructing. She's more of a facilitator that grades papers but beyond that, I think a 10 year old could do her job. She assigns chapters to read, posts a question each week and posts useless power points that offer nothing different than what we are assigned to read. Then we take a weekly quiz that she grades with almost no feed back at all. She offers no expert insight into the material what so ever. Are all online classes like this?

I am also taking CIS 120 and i agree it is an easy A. I am also taking my first ever class that is entirely online and I'm bit disappointed with the format. The instructor does no instructing. She's more of a facilitator that grades papers but beyond that, I think a 10 year old could do her job. She assigns chapters to read, posts a question each week and posts useless power points that offer nothing different than what we are assigned to read. Then we take a weekly quiz that she grades with almost no feed back at all. She offers no expert insight into the material what so ever. Are all online classes like this?

I HATE teaching online. I think the online students are seriously shortchanged. Lazy faculty like it because they can do what your prof does (Sweet F.A.), but if you try to do a decent job of properly interacting with the students it's a lot more work.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

So NORMALLY I dont have many issues with blackboard, Ive been using it for3 years now. Well last night,I had finals... One was a standardized test to be given over blackboard... We didnt start until 9pm... half the class couldnt even get into Blackboard at all, the other half couldnt (Im in this group) couldnt get into the final. That was fun. ;). Thankfully he curved the test, since we were all cranky by that point :)

I think the online students are seriously shortchanged.

I agree, but take exception to a degree: it's easier for the students to shortchange themselves.

In a traditional class, the teacher has two roles: that of teacher, and that of disciplinarian. The teacher is expected to enforce the rules that will FORCE the student to learn. Some students say they "need" this kind of structure. Additionally, because it is much easier to cheat (IMO) in online classes, a student can slack off, not do much work, and often cheat their way back into a decent grade.

BUT: the opportunity for real education is still there, if (and admittedly it's a big IF) the student does the work and maintains focus. This, in addition to the additionall accessability offered by online education, makes me of the opinion that online education is worthwhile.

For my next degree I'm planning on finding an all-online ADN to BSN program. It's going to cost a pretty penny, and such programs are not as common as others, but for my future-in-flux it'll be the best option.

Elvisio "BB can be a PITA, though" Rodriguez

Does your school have it's own portal you can login and go through? When I was at Xavier I always had trouble accessing Blackboard directly, but if I went through the XU portal first I had no problems.

This seemed to solve the problem - thanks!